PDA

View Full Version : hewlett packard sucks

cheezyflier
September 1st, 2012, 08:07
2 years ago i bought an hp laptop for my stepdaughter. she cracked the screen on her return trip from japan. i called them yesterday, to find out how much it costs to fix it.
IT TOOK ME OVER 30 MINUTES!!! after wading through what seemed like endless prompts from the electronic operator, you get to wait on hold, listening to music that is universally hated by everyone in the entire world. then you are put on with a guy from india or pakistan, who's english is barely comprehensible. you have to give him more information than what is required to get a car loan, just to find out how much to fix the cracked display. when i finally was told how much ($325+taxes and shipping) i told them i was going to shop around and i'd call them back if i wanted the work done.
this was last night about 5 pm est.

cut to this morning, 8 am. me and the wife, in bed, nice and warm, all cuddled up. the phone rings.
wanna guess who it was? the butt holes from hewlett packard wanting to know if i was ready to repair the laptop. after spending an entire hour wading through more butt holes who want me to give them more info without doing anything for me, i finally reached a person claiming to represent personell there. i told them if they ever called my house again, i would sue for harrassment. so instead of fixing what is otherwise a great laptop, i will now be looking to buy one NOT made by hp or compaq, or any other company they are tied in with. i urge all of the rest of you to fight back when big corporations use you for marketing info, and when they strong-arm you and use bully tactics. do not buy their products until they demonstrate a healthy respect for you as a consumer.
remember, they are't doing you any favors. YOU are paying THEM for a product or service. they should be kissing your butt, not the other way around. if you don't you'll end up like canada, where they take your money and tell you to go piss up a rope.

Dangerousdave26
September 1st, 2012, 08:27
Give me the model number and serial number and I will find you the instructions to do it yourself. .

You might not believe this but lap top screens are surprisingly easy to fix.

If you search HP site they will provide you a tear down manual that will walk you through the steps to take it apart and put it back together.

In the time it took you to get to someone to talk to we can have it fixed.

The question becomes how much will the screen cost. For that we need the part number and it should be in a manual on line as well at HP.

Attached is my resume for repairing laptops.

This one was put back together a number of years ago for my wife. She used it until last year when I gave her a new one. Now my nephew is using it.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq63/Dangerousdave26/Picture.jpg

billythe
September 1st, 2012, 08:55
in my opinion she cracked the screen and not hp...if people just had more attention on their devices...never cracked something with five computers two notebook two smartphones and a tablet.i bought an hp two years ago...it is not the faster around but i have tons of programs into, so many that registry could have problems but run perfectly. Of course if i will launch from the third floor perhaps will have a problem.

Eoraptor1
September 1st, 2012, 09:36
Give me the model number and serial number and I will find you the instructions to do it yourself. .

You might not believe this but lap top screens are surprisingly easy to fix.

If you search HP site they will provide you a tear down manual that will walk you through the steps to take it apart and put it back together.

In the time it took you to get to someone to talk to we can have it fixed.

The question becomes how much will the screen cost. For that we need the part number and it should be in a manual on line as well at HP.

Attached is my resume for repairing laptops.

This one was put back together a number of years ago for my wife. She used it until last year when I gave her a new one. Now my nephew is using it.

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I own two HP computers and I had no idea I could get a tear down manual from their site.

JAMES

EasyEd
September 1st, 2012, 14:56
Hey All,
...if you don't you'll end up like canada, where they take your money and tell you to go piss up a rope. Huh what prompted this? As for the laptop good luck - should be fixable. Of course watch the part cost as much as a new laptop. HP has to profit too ya know and of course no percentage is too high. -Ed-

glh
September 1st, 2012, 20:25
You could also try Ebay.

I bought a Dell Latitude D630 laptop with a 250GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM, Read/Write CD/DVD, WiFi, Bluetooth and a valid COA for Windows 7 Professional with the Dell operating System DVD. I offer $215 and was accepted. I'm quite happy. It came back from a corporate lease and works just fine.

cheezyflier
September 1st, 2012, 21:38
wow, dave, awesome! i will post that stuff tomorrow, when i can get to the laptop.

Gdavis101
September 1st, 2012, 22:53
It is really pretty easy to replace a screen on a laptop, especially HP's. I wouldn't do anything direct through the actual company that made the laptop, they will just rip you off! The screen can be found on Ebay at a fraction of what HP wants.

cheezyflier
September 2nd, 2012, 11:56
ok, the model is G62-358ca

serial is CNF03949XC

aeronca1
September 4th, 2012, 09:57
Laptop screens are easy to fix/replace as mentioned above. I also have a HP laptop that at one point was recalled due to the hinges being about as strong as wet cardboard. My case was cracked due to this, but alas the recall had expired. Suggestions here led me to tape it up "so rad" at first, but I eventually wanted to fix it properly. I called around and found a laptop specialty store that had "racks of broken HP's". Sure enough they did. I got a dead one for $20.00 CAD, and swapped tops. After looking on YouTube, I see that the original (a faster model) may be easily fixed by a complete tear down and the application of a little heat. HP design sucks. There is a gap between the GPU and the heat sink that in their infinite wisdom HP filled with some kind of Styrofoam type material that insulated rather than transmitted the heat. This causes the solder to bubble over time causing failure to boot. I tested mine and yup it booted every 12-14th time which is THE symptom to the heat problem. Now to find time to strip it down.