PDA

View Full Version : Plan G Aircraft Profiles?

FSX68
September 1st, 2012, 07:51
I think I may of found a program that will fly your flight plans in FSX like FS Navigator does in FS9. In setting up the program I came across a stumbling block that I am not sure how
to sort out. I am enclosing a snipit of the program page that asks for aircraft profiles. I don't know where to point to in FSX to complete this step of setting up Plan G. I click on the open button (on bottom) and it will open up your folder directories and I tried to point it to FSX\simobjects\Airplanes and from there I'm lost.

If anyone is interested in this Free program here is the link:

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/planG.htm

falcon409
September 1st, 2012, 07:55
I know most, if not all of that info is contained in the aircraft.cfg file for each aircraft. :salute:

FSX68
September 1st, 2012, 08:29
I know most, if not all of that info is contained in the aircraft.cfg file for each aircraft. :salute:

Thanks Falcon, I'll give it a try.

Edit, the Plan G program will open the explorer and from there I go into FSX but the acft.cfg files are not visible. I guess Plan G wants to know what type aircraft
you are working with.

:cool:

falcon409
September 1st, 2012, 11:28
Well, I didn't have that version of PlanG so I had to download, install, run the data set for FSX and then take a look at the Aircraft Profile area (New to this version). Other than some very basic numbers, I have no idea other than a Pilots Manual or Checklist, where you would even find the numbers the profile is asking for. They're not in the aircraft config file, not in the airfile (at least not that I could see) and I did a search using every variation of "reference speeds", "Aircraft specs", etc and nothing gets me anything more than a very general set of speeds. It's nice that PlanG has the ability to build profiles, but if the information isn't readily available, what good is it?:salute:

FSX68
September 1st, 2012, 11:36
Well, I didn't have that version of PlanG so I had to download, install, run the data set for FSX and then take a look at the Aircraft Profile area (New to this version). Other than some very basic numbers, I have no idea other than a Pilots Manual or Checklist, where you would even find the numbers the profile is asking for. They're not in the aircraft config file, not in the airfile (at least not that I could see) and I did a search using every variation of "reference speeds", "Aircraft specs", etc and nothing gets me anything more than a very general set of speeds. It's nice that PlanG has the ability to build profiles, but if the information isn't readily available, what good is it?:salute:

I read in their users manual that the profiles is not needed. I tried to get the main program to work and I ended up just deleting the thing, Man I sure due Miss FS navigator
and wish they made it for fsx. It was a snap to operate. Thanks anyway.......

falcon409
September 1st, 2012, 11:38
This taken from the Users Manual for the latest version of PlanG:
The “form” for entering the information is opened by selecting the Aircraft Profile icon from the Home ribbon. All the information required is available on the Internet for most aircraft, but you may need to adjust some values if Flight Simulator doesn’t perform to those values (and it often doesn’t).

Ok, "available on the Internet for most aircraft". Ok, not really, unless you happen to know the magic words to use for a search. Using (for instance) Boeing 307 Specs, Boeing 307 Reference Speeds, Boeing 307 Speed Settings. . . .none of those brings up anything more than a general take-off, cruise, decent and landing speed. . .but nothing like the specific speeds that the profile is asking for. So as far as I'm concerned, they're not readily available at all. Anyone with more insight into this want to suggest a search that might get us what the profile is looking for?

SkippyBing
September 1st, 2012, 12:40
Your best bet would be to search for the aircraft's Pilot's Manual, that should include most of the required speeds.

There's one at http://www.mypilot.net/flight-manual for the Boeing 377 which seems to have most of the required speeds although you have to search through the PDF for them. E.g. Vy looks to be 165kts.

falcon409
September 1st, 2012, 12:59
Yep, I tried doing a search for Pilot Manuals and all I got were references to sites that sell manuals, not anything that could be viewed online. Problem is, Flight Sim is such a wide ranging hobby that finding even a small cross-section of all the planes we actually fly is just not going to be possible. For instance, on that page of 31 Pilot Manuals, there are only 2 airplanes I would ever fly and neither one of them are even in an active folder right now. As I said earlier, I think it's a neat option of PlanG to be able to set up profiles for the airplanes you fly, but if the information isn't available? It's most likely an option I won't use.:salute:

SkippyBing
September 1st, 2012, 13:19
Looking at it I think you could get away with best guess values as Plan-G is basically using them to fit the flight plan to the aircraft so as long as you're within 10% of the figures you're going to fly it'll probably work out ok.
Might have to see how it works with the Buccaneer when I have a spare half hour. So sometime next year...