PDA

View Full Version : Joey Logano out of the number 20 Home Depot ride

stansdds
August 31st, 2012, 02:45
JGR released Joey Logano from the number 20 Home Depot Toyota Camry. The rumor mill is buzzing, will JGR put Joey in a fourth Sprint Cup car or will Joey be seeking his Sprint Cup fame and fortune elsewhere? I've heard from several sources that Home Depot was not happy with Logano in the number 20, they were very comfortable with Tony Stewart keeping the number 20 in the top ten, something that Logano has not been able to do.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/nascar/2012-08-29/joey-logano-top-nascar-free-agent-now

Thoe6969
August 31st, 2012, 12:02
Why would Joe Gibbs put on another car and put Joey in it when he can't drive the one he was in?,ain't gonna happen.I heard three months ago that this was coming,the car is much better than it's been driven.

stansdds
September 1st, 2012, 04:11
That's what I was thinking too. I expect Logano will remain with JGR in the Nationwide Series since he does well at that level. I don't really think JGR is going to start a fourth Sprint Cup team in an era where team owners are down sizing their organizations.

EasyEd
September 2nd, 2012, 20:28
Hey All, Any number of teams would want Joey Logano - that is why Gibbs wants to keep him. If Kahne were not already in the 5 it would be ideal for Joey. Penske with Brad would probably be good as well although I don't know how well or fast Penske will/can adapt to Ford. I wonder how Joey would fit at RCR - could it be time for somebody like Joey to drive the 31? Interesting that the sponsor is apparently calling the shots about Joey. I guess the coach is being told to jump and he is saying - how high. -Ed-

stansdds
September 3rd, 2012, 10:32
It takes lot of money to run a NASCAR team and that means big money sponsors. If the sponsor isn't happy, then something has to change in order to keep the sponsor. Problems between Home Depot and the number 20 started last year. Joey's Cup career has not been stellar with season finishes between 16th and 24th place, this season he is currently 18th and that's not where Home Depot wants their car. Joey seems to be a real nice kid, but nice doesn't bring in the money, top finishes is what attracts the money.

eddie
September 5th, 2012, 09:10
Its official, Logano is driving for Penske in 2013!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/Joey-Logano-joining-Penske-Racing-090412

EasyEd
September 5th, 2012, 18:00
Hey All, That may be great! At least Roger got his head out of his... and figured out that you need stockcar drivers not recycled open wheelers. I can't believe I'll be cheering for a couple Ford drivers. -Ed-

Panther_99FS
September 5th, 2012, 18:53
figured out that you need stockcar drivers not recycled open wheelers.

Well,
At least now I really know how you feel about Danica...;)

EasyEd
September 5th, 2012, 19:27
Hey All, Not hardly. What I believe is simple. 30 40 and more years ago drivers were better than the cars and crews and could cross racing series and succeed. Today the racing is so specialized that it is in all motor sports and perhaps especially in NASCAR an entire team effort - in particular the ability of the driver to communicate with the CC to make the correct adjustments to the car to go faster given the way the driver drives. F1, Indy and stock cars are so specialized that the skills DO NOT transfer anymore and you cannot ever go back to when they did. So yes I am saying that Sebastian Vettel or Lewis Hamilton could never beat John Force's daughter in a funny car or unlimited drag race or vice versa (plus Sebastian and Lewis are WAY uglier than Force's daughters). Now lets deal with Danica. She will never dominate the series like Jimmie BUT she has a couple things going for her that I think may give her some real success. In Indycar she more than any other driver knew how to save her equipment and she could GO if she decided to. I think to her a good finish is more important that going (B)alls out to win. Second she more than other open wheelers is a student and works very hard to learn and knows how to listen. She has the patience and the attitude to continue learning and being Danica she does NOT have to worry about the "what have you done for me lately" phenomena that other drivers do. Is that fair? No but so what she can take her time and I think eventually learn coupled with her attitude to win a race or two on an oval - the first woman to do so. So now you know what I think of Danica. -Ed-

Panther_99FS
September 6th, 2012, 03:50
Now lets deal with Danica. ....she could GO if she decided to. -Ed-

No, she could not. This was her ultimate problem in Champcar & Indycar.
She could not go if she decided to. And for 7 years during her Champcar & Indycar career, neither Penske nor Ganassi bothered to even lift a finger for her. They saw her for what she really was in Champcar & Indycar - and average driver who you would not want to bet on winning the championship. (Though she was a sponsors dream)

Say what you will about Ganassi & Penske in NASCAR....but in Champcar & Indycar, they are dominant forces. And when neither of them bothered to get her to drive for them in open wheel speaks volumes on what they thought about her.

Now back to Logano.

IMHO,
Gibbs pulled him out to "go pro" too early. Couple this with a mentor in Stewart gone and both Denny & Kyle not being best to learn from was a bad recipe for Joey. So now the question is whether or not Joey will be able to learn from Brad...

Thoe6969
September 6th, 2012, 04:43
Hey All, That may be great! At least Roger got his head out of his... and figured out that you need stockcar drivers not recycled open wheelers. I can't believe I'll be cheering for a couple Ford drivers. -Ed- I don,t know where statements like that come from,but I'll bet Hornish is doing better in the car than Joey will.

EasyEd
September 6th, 2012, 07:29
Hey All, I bet not! Logano has run only 18 more races in Sprint that Hornish. Joey has 2 wins Hornish zero! Hornish has zero wins in nationwide Joey has 15. Joey was the youngest to ever win in nationwide and Sprint Cup.Panther's point that Joey may have been too young for the big series may be right but that won't stop him from becoming the driver he will be. -Ed-

Panther_99FS
September 8th, 2012, 21:30
I don,t know where statements like that come from,but I'll bet Hornish is doing better in the car than Joey will.

You might be right.
Hornish Jr. definitely outshined Logano @ Richmond....

We'll have to watch the next 10....