PDA

View Full Version : Well, I joined the club

jmig
August 26th, 2012, 06:27
I bought Prepar3D and installed it on a separate drive. My first impression is mixed. It looked nice, what I saw of it. However, I never could get my rudder petals to work? I loaded Bill's Moody and the wheel was cocked full left. I tried to calibrate the rudders but they still wouldn't work? So I just hit "Y" and F4 to climb to altitude and then flew with yaw. :)

I also noticed that I couldn't get the virtual cockpit up, All I would get was a black screen? But if I went to the Right Seat view, it worked. Go figure?

Last complaint, is rather minor but, when I change views it takes several seconds for the view to come into resolution. It is blotchy with minimum colors at first. Considering how I am using a high end system and graphics card (ATI 6970), I would think it would be instantaneous. It is in FSX?

FSX works fine for me, so I am not in any great need of Prepare. I will play with it and see.

Does anyone know if there are any manuals? I looked on the LM site and forum. All I found were son video tutorials. I would like to d=know what if anything is different from FSX.

Lionheart
August 26th, 2012, 15:15
I bought Prepar3D and installed it on a separate drive. My first impression is mixed. It looked nice, what I saw of it. However, I never could get my rudder petals to work? I loaded Bill's Moody and the wheel was cocked full left. I tried to calibrate the rudders but they still wouldn't work? So I just hit "Y" and F4 to climb to altitude and then flew with yaw. :)

I also noticed that I couldn't get the virtual cockpit up, All I would get was a black screen? But if I went to the Right Seat view, it worked. Go figure?

Last complaint, is rather minor but, when I change views it takes several seconds for the view to come into resolution. It is blotchy with minimum colors at first. Considering how I am using a high end system and graphics card (ATI 6970), I would think it would be instantaneous. It is in FSX?

FSX works fine for me, so I am not in any great need of Prepare. I will play with it and see.

Does anyone know if there are any manuals? I looked on the LM site and forum. All I found were son video tutorials. I would like to d=know what if anything is different from FSX.

Hey John,

Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear you are having problems. I hope you get your pedals working soon. I also do not know about the black thing you are seeing. Also sounds a bit odd.

For now, could you try using auto-rudder to just flying around with until you get your rudder pedals working?

You asked about a manual for the sim. Yes, in the learning center, they have alot of documents you can go through. I dont know if they have exactly what you need.

They also have a Prepar3D forum and a section that is for simulators (multi screens, home cockpits, things like rudder pedals). You might ask there. I am sure someone has already asked the question and found a fix.

Bill

jmig
August 26th, 2012, 16:06
Bill, Thank you for using the word "pedals". For the life of me, I couldn't remember how to spell pedals this morning. I knew "petals" was wrong, bu Bill Gates and company didn't help with spelling.

I will go back to the forums and look around. Like I said earlier, I am not too concerned. I still have FSX working well (knock on wood) so I can migrate over slowly.

jmig
August 30th, 2012, 16:51
Well guys, I can't say I am over enamored with P3D, so far. I keep have control surface issues. It will open with the little Mooney going in circles on the runway. The rudder is full left. And/or when airborne I keep getting elevator kicks, usually full down.

I have recalibrated until I am blue in the face. I use FSUIPC and have unchecked and deleted the P3D controls in the Controls UI.

That and the lack of IR Track make me want to say, "Screw it."

But, I won't. I am just too damn stubborn.

vgbaron
August 31st, 2012, 16:55
Have you tried a reinstall of P3D John? I have a Saitek X52 stick, a ch yoke, ch rudders and a ch throttle quadrant connected and calibrated through FSUIPC and have absolutely no problem. Also try - in Prepar3d.cfg under [CONTROLS] add STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0 and see if that helps.

Vic

jmig
August 31st, 2012, 18:53
Have you tried a reinstall of P3D John? I have a Saitek X52 stick, a ch yoke, ch rudders and a ch throttle quadrant connected and calibrated through FSUIPC and have absolutely no problem. Also try - in Prepar3d.cfg under [CONTROLS] add STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0 and see if that helps.

Vic

No Vic, I haven't tried to reinstall. I guess I will, although I feel like the "BITCH" should work the first time. First of all, I will try your cfg mod.

I did try a dll modification to the language.dll that I read on AVSIM for the Track IR issue. That didn't work either. :(

MudMarine
September 1st, 2012, 02:06
I still had half the issues with P3D that I had with FSX. I for one am glad I NEVER have to use FSX again. Hang in Jmig, it will be worth it in the long run!

Lionheart
September 1st, 2012, 05:55
I still had half the issues with P3D that I had with FSX. I for one am glad I NEVER have to use FSX again. Hang in Jmig, it will be worth it in the long run!

Same here. I was so frustrated with the hopping, stuttering, disappearing bits, pink runways, all options turned off to get 10 FPS. With P3, I am running right along, 3D clouds, traffic, cars on the highways, boats in the sea, full maxed special effects scenery. I found that I had stopped looking at frame rates and was just flying. What a nice realization.

Mind you, my frames arent high. About 20 FPS, sometimes 15, but locked at 20 and for me, that is very very smooth.

fliger747
September 2nd, 2012, 10:23
Can you install this on more than computer, for me an important attribute

T

ZEUS67
September 2nd, 2012, 10:43
Can you install this on more than computer, for me an important attribute

T
It is one license per computer. The developer's license, which is 10 per month, allows you to install it in two computers.

fliger747
September 2nd, 2012, 19:03
Probably enough of a barrier to keep me away for a bit. As I am here and there most of my life, I really need it on two to three computers. For FSX it wasn't an issue as I had both the RTM version and one I bought.

Some interesting limitations of FSX could be eliminated, the underwater mapping is interesting.

T

jmig
September 3rd, 2012, 05:10
Well guys, I think P3D is going on the shelf for a while. I did get the rudders straight, but never did solve the elevator kick problem. From day one the elevator will kick downward every one or two seconds. However, I don't think the issues I have been having are with P3d but with my system.

I did reinstall with no luck. However, when I disconnected all of the different controllers that run the cockpit, including the Warthog stick and throttle, then plugged in a CH Products joystick, the rudder issues went away. That is not the issues of which I speak. I am having bigger problems.

Shortly, after installing the new SSD and P3D, I started having no boot issues. The computer would go to the post screen and freeze. I checked everything inside and even used my volt/ohm meter to check the voltages at the motherboard while running. They were all solid. I tried various things without success, i.e., unplugging keyboard and mouse, other usb devices. Only one one out of every five attempts would the computer boot. Then I unplugged the new SSD drive.

Bingo! She booted. I shut her down and restarted, she booted. A third time and so on.

I don't know if my problems are with the SSD drive, the motherboard, or power supply. I have read that all three can cause these problems. The MB is a ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 and is less than a year old. The power supply is a Corsair 750 W high performance PS. I am assuming that too many usb devices could cause these issues but don't know? I guess I will send the SSD back to Newegg as a start. With it will go P3d.

Shane Strong CYHZ
September 3rd, 2012, 07:34
my two cents is probally the power supply i am running a 1000w with my system i built this year

jmig
September 3rd, 2012, 08:06
Shane, you may be right? I will find that out soon. I got the RMA from Newegg and will be sending it in for a replacement. If I have the same issues, I will try the SSD in a different computer and see what happens. I have considered the PS. However, I am not experiencing any of the normal power supply issues symptoms. Knock on wood, but the system has been very stable. It is a stock Sandybridge chip with 16 GBs of RAM. The GPS is an ATI 6970 and it runs FSX smoothly with high FPS rates pushing two projectors. I built it in March and this is the first time I have had any issues?

SkippyBing
September 3rd, 2012, 11:25
Reference your issues with the controls, have you checked the sensitivity settings in P3D? For some reason they seem to be set up differently to FSX by default which had me going round in circles for the first few minuted.

jmig
September 3rd, 2012, 14:03
Well Shane, I am beginning to think you are correct in your assumption that it might be the power supply. This afternoon, it wouldn't boot. This is after the SSD was removed and worked fine in a second computer. Strangely, it seems to boot if I unplug all of the USBs. Once booted, I can plug them back in and it runs fine. I even flew a FSS flight while I had a USB drive copying 40GB of data to a hard drive on the computer. No issues?