PDA

View Full Version : Quad core + FSX Question

scoutII
December 31st, 2008, 16:27
As FSX is capable of utilizing multiple core.. :)
Is this true??? I thought it was single core only??

Roger
December 31st, 2008, 16:37
Yes it's true:jump:

SolarEagle
December 31st, 2008, 16:51
FSX uses up to 256 cores, though the the multithreading only helps with terrain loading and to reduce stutters, so no framerate improvements from additional cores as only the primary thread affects framerate.

kilo delta
December 31st, 2008, 16:54
It's a benefit of SP1 :):icon_lol:

hey_moe
December 31st, 2008, 17:02
I sometimes wonder if FSX really using all four cores like it says it will. I notice on my system that when flying in FSX it use only 2 cores most of the time. In photo editing it uses all four cores. Weird:banghead:.

DaveKDEN
December 31st, 2008, 17:18
I sometimes wonder if FSX really using all four cores like it says it will. I notice on my system that when flying in FSX it use only 2 cores most of the time. In photo editing it uses all four cores. Weird:banghead:.

There's a way so FSX recognizes all cores with an edit to the FSX.cfg file here;

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=62147

I also saw another tweak regarding the use of "CFF Explorer" to edit the FSX.exe file (BIG CAUTION WHEN EDITING THAT FILE) to recognize multi-cores, but I can't recall where it's located :isadizzy:.

SolarEagle
December 31st, 2008, 17:40
FSX uses all cores regardless of that tweak, which can be confirmed via task manager, though you will typically see less than 20% utilization on anything other than the primary thread. If FSX is not using all four cores then the reason is something other than the absence of that tweak.

harleyman
December 31st, 2008, 17:51
If you run a quad place this at the top of your config...

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=15

Although it is not actually needed as of SP 1 , it will guarentee that it uses all 4 cores...It will not harm your rig....LOl

On both the quads I ran I could monitor the core usage of FSX...They were typically like this...

1. 100%
2. 60-90%
3. 50-60%
4. 30-40%

By setting that affanity you are going to see your cores 2-3 ( which are cores 3-4)do most of the texture rendering....