PDA

View Full Version : Since I saw this in X-plane 10......

Flame-Prop
August 22nd, 2012, 17:13
Since I saw how perfect this DC-3 was http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/douglas-p-84.html for X-plane 10 and with the rain effects on windows this got me thinking about the X-plane 10. I asked the developers of this DC-3 for example, is this plane comatible with FSX? Their reply stated that it's not compatible with FSX as follows. In their reply they also included that they believe X-plane 10 is the future of Flight Simulation. The only problem is here, that I have alot of add-ons for FSX which I fear are not compatible, amongs thoes is the A2A Simulations P-51. And I also grew up with FSX, know the most about it. I want to switch to X-plane 10 but is very un-familiar with it. I fear 90% of my add-ons for FSX will not work with X-plane 10.....I mean does X-plane 10 also have sound packs like FSX ? What sort of stuff do you guys know? I did see somewhere that X-plane 10 was a disspointment but not many of thoes around.

Gabe

Tako_Kichi
August 22nd, 2012, 18:10
I think you will find that none of your FSX add-ons will work in X-plane. They are two completely different sims with no cross-compatibility. Most, if not all of your FSX add-ons will work in Prepar3d though.

RyanJames170
August 22nd, 2012, 18:25
if i was you i would stick with FSX/P3D,

warchild
August 22nd, 2012, 19:01
There is a utility that takes fsx aircraft and does something to them to make them flyable in X plane, but i must apologize that i dont remember its name. That plus it was originally for X plane 8 makes me doubtful it will function properly for X plane 10.

Peter SWE
August 22nd, 2012, 19:21
It is possible to convert FSX aircraft to x-plane but you need some special scripts for blender and a good knowledge of animation. you also need, in planemaker an accurate .acf which you can invisiblify (make invisible) and place objects over. It is more a rebuild than a convertion.

ryanbatc
August 22nd, 2012, 19:22
Of course if you ask the devs of XP models they'll say XP is the future lol! It's the same if you ask FSX/P3D guys.... P3D is the future!

Why not try both sims?

Peter SWE
August 22nd, 2012, 19:25
There is a utility that takes fsx aircraft and does something to them to make them flyable in X plane, but i must apologize that i dont remember its name. That plus it was originally for X plane 8 makes me doubtful it will function properly for X plane 10.

I think you're thinking of fs2xplane but that is only to convert fs scenerys to x-plane overlays, it is for non animated scenery only, not aircrafts.

Peter SWE
August 22nd, 2012, 19:28
Why not try both sims?

I'll second that. X-plane has some nice features and it is a good flightsim but be aware that it has a learningcurve.

Flame-Prop
August 22nd, 2012, 20:10
That's an intresting questions I asked myself sometimes, why not both sims..........I somehow like having "THE" flight sim.......I saw in the vids, X-plane 10 had the cockpit rain, jet heat exhaust effects, the DC-3 which FSX......I guess these are some of my reasons for wanting X-plane. Very stubborn FSX can be. I did however plan to get a "laptop" suitable to run X-plane 10 on "realistic graphics in the future

bstolle
August 22nd, 2012, 20:42
Interestingly most troublesome are the (sometimes) highly praised flight dynamics in x-plane.
There are quite a few serious basic errors which can't be corrected due to the primitive 'blade element theory' x-plane is using.
Furthermore you are extremely limited with fligh dynamics design as you e.g. can't even control propwash, spin behaviour, yaw/roll interaction, etc.
Making flight dynamics for x-plane takes 1/10 of the time at a maximum you need for a very good FSX flight model and it shows.
I made the flight dynamics for the Carenado/Alabeo C208 and the Alabeo Pitts and it was horrible which unrealistic tricks I had to apply to make these planes behave even marginal acceptable (for my standards).
After these two, no more x-plane development for me!

MartinM
August 23rd, 2012, 06:31
I am having both

FSX and XP10.10

Both sims have something interesting. XP10 has a few birds that were released recently which are really eyecandys, otherwise FSX is much better overall.

Since XP10 is using OSM by default, the roads are far more accurate than in FSX. Additionally, default FSX does not really have a precise mesh, at least not for my area, Switzerland. XP10 does have a near perfect mesh. There is no add-on I need to buy to do VFR flights like in real life.

I fly in real life with an Aero AT-3. The physics of XP, at least from my point of view with the Carenado C172 is much more realistic than in FSX. My neighbor has about 1000hrs on the Jetranger. He has flown with both Dodosim and Jetfoil B206. The Jetfoil B206 is the clear winner here.

Another point is the weather. The clouds, the sunsets and sunrises are more realistic in XP10 default. In FSX you need to get add-ons

But, XP10 is somewhat limited in Sceneries, nice aircrafts, military jets and naval operations, that I am more in favor of FSX, as the whole package is more complete. XP10 is a good starting point for add-on developers, but we are not yet close to what it should be.

Converting Aircraft to XP10, I've never done. Sceneries from Switzerland convert pretty well to XP10 but requires some after work. Not every mans choice.

To make it short, to compare XP10 and FSX is like the endless discussions about Linux and Windows. Like most people will have Windows, most people will choose FSX over XP.

Cheers
Martin