PDA

View Full Version : Pick up-able objects for free flight fsx?

jessie r.
August 21st, 2012, 16:47
Ok so this is probably a stupid question but does anyone know if there is any objects that can be picked up and moved around by the helicopters in free flight, or is that just a mission thing?

falcon409
August 21st, 2012, 17:35
That's a great question Jesse. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will have the answer. I fly Heli's a lot but have never done any of the "Missions". I have a feeling though that using the hoist and the associated "objects" probably requires coding that would only work in a singular mission setting. . . .although that would be an awesome addon for the general FSX crowd.:salute:

Dave Torkington
August 22nd, 2012, 01:32
Ok so this is probably a stupid question but does anyone know if there is any objects that can be picked up and moved around by the helicopters in free flight, or is that just a mission thing?

Hi Jessie,

Yes, it's possible and one of the most rewarding features of Acceleration IMO if you like your Helo's!

You need to know how to edit aircraft.cfg's, saved flights and be able to place 'pick uppable' default objects in FSX [although you can make your own]. It's been a while since I did this so forgive me for any errors!

There are four basic steps:

[1] Select an FSX 'liftable' object from the fsxp mission objects HERE (http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/sceneobjects/). Typically these have a hook 'eye' for lifting such as the MIS_top_secret_crate.

[2] Place the object using Object Placement Tool' and save as a 'Mission'.

[3] Save your flight where you'd like to start from to pick up the load and

[4] Equip your Helo with a sling by editing the saved flight file.

You must have FSX Acceleration [obviously] and have the FSX SDK Object Placement Tool working.

There's a great addon made by Paul Donnelly that includes objects, saved flight files, edited aircraft.cfg files etc. that helped me no end to make my own scenarios. Get the addon HERE (http://www.basys.force9.co.uk/download/misc/fsxa_test_slingloads_in_the_sandbox.zip)

Also, I have a 'Heli Load Carry Tutorial' that explains how to place the load and edit your saved flight file. I'm trying to find where I got it... I'll post a link when I do.

If I can help anymore please ask :salute:

BASys
August 22nd, 2012, 02:09
Hi Folks

As Dave's mentioned,
liftable objects only work in FSXA Missions or Saved Flights.

IIRC,
FSXA contains 30 default liftable simobjects.

re: The Slingloads in the Sandbox (http://www.basys.force9.co.uk/download/misc/fsxa_test_slingloads_in_the_sandbox.zip) package Dave's kindly linked to -
- Was a proof of concept created for FSXA Beta-Testers.
- Enables a bunch of default scenery objects, to be used as liftable simobjects.
- Contains a working xml placement example (47 objects), and associated FLT files.
- Ensure you read the README
- WARNING - Before installing, BACKUP your aircraft.cfg files for B206 & EH101

TIP -
Picking up objects is not easy.
Insufficient processor-cycles makes doing so very much harder.

Just while honing your skills -
For a more fluid experience,
set ALL your scenery/terrain/traffic sliders to the LEFTMOST.

HTH
ATB
Paul

jessie r.
August 22nd, 2012, 05:38
thanks so much for the info, now im going to try to figure it out lol

orionll
August 22nd, 2012, 09:40
Paul: Do you happen to know if it's possible to use the hoist system in multiplayer?

After looking at the documentation, I determined that the hoist system seems to only be defined in the aircraft.cfg, and the only requirement to pick something up is having the relevant section in the object's sim.cfg. If you use a hoist-enabled helicopter in multiplayer, fly shared cockpit, and have both users create an object (with the relevant sim.cfg section) at the same in-sim location, in theory, would it not work for both users?

BASys
August 22nd, 2012, 10:38
Hi Folks

Orion -
Sorry it was a long time ago, :redf:
but IIRC,
yes you can use slings & hoists in multiplayer
but there's 3 seperate scenarios/outcomes -

- Multiplayer - Standard -
Doesn't work as IRL.
Every player has their own instance of each object.
Everyone can see & move their own objects,
but can't see other's objects.

- Multiplayer - Shared Cockpit -
Shows correctly for the 2 persons sharing an aircraft.
Doesn't work as IRL for other players.
Everyone can see & move their own objects,
but can't see other's objects, (excepting shared-cockpit players).

- Multiplayer - Mission -
If coded correctly, will work for all players.
There is only one instance of each object.
Everyone can see & move the objects,
and also see others moving objects.

HTH
ATB
Paul

BASys
October 26th, 2014, 10:11
Hi Folks

abyj -
In response to your PMs.

I tried to PM you, but your SOH account does not permit PMs.
I then tried emailing you, and it bounced.

So here's what I'd originally sent you - :encouragement:

Hi Jean Pierre

I guess you're refering to this SOH thread -
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?70179-Pick-up-able-objects-for-free-flight-fsx

It's been a very long time
since I'd coded anything for FSX missions.

If I recall correctly,
the object's target needs to be set as "The Player".

Sorry I can't be any more help than that ATM.

My primary laptop died recently,
and I've not recovered its drive contents, (IDE),
to my new laptop, (SATA).

Suggest maybe try asking the 'wizards' over at -
FSX Missions Hangar
http://fsxmissionshangar.com/

You need to join to see anything,
but AIUI, no need to pay, (thats for extras).

HTH
ATB
Paul

Wizard
October 30th, 2014, 03:27
You could also join the very dark side and run Underway! - in fact, we are currently operating off the coast of the US/Mexican border airlift 2000 pound crates of supplies from the USNS Patuxent to a small camp near KBRO.

One of the most amusing things is that the cargo boxes, once dropped have a tendency to bounce - slowly at first but they become really lively - better than Mexican Jumping Beans. I need to figure out how to dampen that bounce in the aircraft.cfg for them. But when someone else comes along later the boxes are resting quietly where dropped.

However, we (at this point) cannot raise or lower or even sling them to the aircraft - but if combined with the fsx mission as above with U/W then you'd have both visuals and the added/removed weight as well as objects that can be picked up and delivered anywhere - we use it for our critical parts shipment. For instance a part is need to fix a radar on the USS Sterret which is currently on Operation Northern Ice. The part is picked up at KMDT - near Mechanicsburg , PA and flown by C-40 up to a nearby Canadian airport. From there the part is picked up by one of the helos on the Sterret and flown to the ship, where once delivered it is "stowed" below and the radar then begins it's repair cycle.

Just a bit more realism involved and certainly a useful flight as the radar is down until it gets the part.

abyj
November 1st, 2014, 02:05
Thank you,
but I do not have the answer to my problem.

For now, I use two PCs that have FSX acceleration. They have the same mission with the same objects.
These two PCs are behind a router, one of the two PC hosts the multiplayer session. Since long, I use this PC server for FSX flight network, but never on a mission mode.
The PC 1 load the mission, it takes the place of one player.
The second PC after finding the IP address of the PC 1, connects to the first. This PC 2 takes the place of player 2.
Once in the game, the mission begins, the two helicopters carry loads at the end of the sling, but each pilot sees only its own object carried and not the other.
That of the other rest on the floor.
To summarize, each pilot sees the same object on the ground, but when transporting it, only the pilot that carries the object AI, sees the objet below him, the other sees it, static on the ground in the same place.

I have also posted on http://fsxmissionshangar.com/ but I do not have a solution yet.

Paul wrote that this solution is in the xml file, encoded correctly.
As indicated as Paul, the player is designated as the target of the object.
But for the moment, only the pilot sees the object transported by his helicopter and not the others players.

Thank you for your help.

Abyj / jean pierre

I am french and my English is likely to be bad

Wizard
November 1st, 2014, 13:25
Your English is far better than my French - I took German and Spanish a loooong, long time ago.

In Underway! either player would see the cargo - as it is an "aircraft" (in the SimObjects\Misc directory). But we don't have slings (yet). I think I will put it on my "to do" list as that would be pretty cool seeing the cargo on a sling below the helo. A great idea.

Good luck!

abyj
November 2nd, 2014, 02:00
Hello,
I visited your session here: http: // navalengagement.net / index.shtml, and I begin to understand what you are doing.

Do you use the mode mission of FSX?

If I understand you well, every player sees the cargo of the directory SimObjects\Misc, installed as one AI, I suppose put on the scenery with SDK placement tool. Up to there, I am exactly as you.
But it is after the troubles begin when you will transport the cargo below a sling and when only the pilot will see his cargo moving and not the other players who will see the cargo remaining on-the-spot.
What I look for, it's how we can code the XML file of mission of FSX, so that with a helicopter, the cargo transported at the end of a sling, would be visible by all the players.

Tell me if my reasoning is correct.
Thank you

Abyj/Jean Pierre

Wizard
November 3rd, 2014, 03:31
To clarify - the cargo is not scenery. It is an "aircraft" located in the SimObjects\Misc directory and has an aircraft.cfg, a .air file, textures, etc - the only thing that is different is that it has no panel directory or panel.cfg. Because it is an "aircraft" it can been seen by everyone just as a another aircraft can be seen by you when connected online.

Technically, it is not an AI. There are three "classes" of platforms in FSX -

1. regular platforms - ie airplanes, boats, etc - all player driveable.

2. AI - used for AI objects flying predetermined routes and controlled by FSX (these have a sim.cfg not an aircraft.cfg)

3. Externally controlled objects - controlled by a simulation outside of FSX. All these objects have the same folders as #1, with the exception of the panel.

In NEUWUC all the objects that the NE controls are of type #3. NEUWUC is not MP in the FSX sense, but you do connect to an online server which controls all other objects - be they cargo, tanks, trucks, other players, ships, etc.

Why M$ decided on three different "classes" of objects is anyone guess, I think it is unnecessary and wastful of resources. But then, FSX does not model water correctly, either.

What I am thinking of doing for the cargo on the hook is to just have it "suspended" below the aircraft at a distance indicated on the reel-out gauge. I don't think there is any need to try and emulate the actual cable as it is so thin as to be not visible at any but the closest of distances.

All the gauges that Underway! uses are C++ gauges - not XML. I could never wrap my brain around the reverse polish notation that XML uses, and most of the gauges require more than just simple programming. I use SimConnect extensively.

NEUWUC does not use FSX missions. But FSX missions can be combined with NEUWUC to create some really cool effects. Internet bandwidth is an important criteria in the design of NEUWUC. So some things are better left on the players computer - so an fsx mission, with, say, a proximity event that triggers, an audio file telling the pilot that he in an appropraite spot to pick up the cargo is an added feature that missions can control - the pilot(s) can clearly see the cargo as it is a NEUWUC controlled object. So the mission is not really needed but is an added feature that adds to the realism.

Hope this helps

orionll
November 3rd, 2014, 10:31
Jean Pierre,

I don't believe there's a solution to what you describe. Objects that can be lifted must have a SimObject category of SimpleObject, and objects that are synchronized over multiplayer must have a SimObject category of either Airplane or Helicopter (as specified in the aircraft.cfg or sim.cfg file). The first two situations Paul described back in 2012 are correct, but the third is incorrect, as the mission system still creates each SimObject locally. This means that each person will have their own instance of the SimObject, resulting in the behavior you're experiencing (which is the same as what Paul describes in his first example (the second example is irrelevant because shared cockpit is disabled for multiplayer missions)).

Best,
Orion

abyj
November 4th, 2014, 07:36
Ok thank you.

Indeed, I am increasingly pessimistic.
The example 3 of Paul led me to pursue my research.
It's regrettable, the charge transport by héicoptère is an activity that could be enjoyed by many players FSX.

Thank you again.

Jean Pierre