PDA

View Full Version : Cv-6 uss enterprise released

N332DW
December 31st, 2008, 11:28
all done - added a few more details - uploaded to SimV and Avsim awaiting arrival

enjoy-bf

hey_moe
December 31st, 2008, 11:31
:jawdrop::jawdrop:Looks sweet...looking forward to adding to my collection...Mike

Cactuskid
December 31st, 2008, 11:32
Outstanding! :applause::applause::applause: Now I have a home for my new F6F! Good work! :ernae:

MorrisTheCat
December 31st, 2008, 11:34
Flabbergasted!

MoCat

Roger
December 31st, 2008, 11:43
Great stuff! Thanks:applause:

hews500d
December 31st, 2008, 12:54
Can't wait to download this! Is it going to be moving to where we can take off, and later return to try to find it ?

Darrell

EgoR64
December 31st, 2008, 13:40
:jump:

Great stuff, Thank you for Sharing !! She's a beauty !!

Many Cheers !! :friday:

stovall
December 31st, 2008, 13:45
Thanks a million Bruce, this is definitely why I am such a fan of yours.

Much appreciated, Tom

PutPut
December 31st, 2008, 13:48
My FH-1 Phantom is already looking for a parking spot on the deck!:ernae:

Paul

MCDesigns
December 31st, 2008, 15:22
Outstanding job!! :ernae:

Nick C
December 31st, 2008, 15:27
Thanks for this Bruce, she'll be most welcome :ernae:

Roger
December 31st, 2008, 15:33
Simviation have it up and ready now.:ernae:

djscoo
December 31st, 2008, 16:27
I can't wait to try it with the Hellkitty...Thanks!:ernae:

fliger747
December 31st, 2008, 16:32
Kline Fraggen.....

Installed and sailing along Puget Sound at 29 knots. Zo....

I presume I have to make this AI so I can takeoff and land on it?

Some hints from anyone for we non AI types?

Cheers: T.

Warrant
December 31st, 2008, 16:36
Excellent, thanks!:ernae:

Gonna dl first thing tomorrow

wilycoyote4
December 31st, 2008, 17:14
Kline Fraggen.....

I presume I have to make this AI so I can takeoff and land on it?

Some hints from anyone for we non AI types?

Same for me -------- same question. :isadizzy: Would like to use it with AIcarriers2r2.

hey_moe
December 31st, 2008, 17:34
She is purty:ernae:

pointy31
December 31st, 2008, 18:12
Same for me -------- same question. :isadizzy: Would like to use it with AIcarriers2r2.

Likewise, I have no experience with installing AI objects. it is a very nice ship, wish my TBF Avenger was FSX...:ernae:

fliger747
December 31st, 2008, 18:29
Geez, I though it was just me!

Carriers, especially of the WWII vintage will really turn. This one seems quite sluggish to the helm.

Look to be a riot when I (or someone else) get all this figured out!

djscoo
December 31st, 2008, 19:29
I'm attempting to modify the aicarriers .cfg, i'll let you know how it works out.

N332DW
December 31st, 2008, 19:47
ok fellas - here is a play-by play on how to convert it to AI for use with AICarriers 2 - just tested it and it works fine

1) make a copy of the installed CV-6 USS Enterprise folder and place it on the desktop

2) rename the folder CV6_Enterprise

3) delete the PANEL folder , SOUND FOLDER , EFFECTS folder ,aircraft.cfg , readme.txt and the carrier.air file

4) open notepad and create a new text document

5) copy and paste this text to it
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[fltsim.0]
title=CV6_Enterprise
model=
texture=
[General]
category=Boat
[contact_points]
static_pitch=0.0 //degrees, pitch when at rest on the ground (+=Up, -=Dn)
static_cg_height=0.0 //feet, altitude of CG when at rest on the ground
[DesignSpecs]
max_speed_mph = 30
acceleration_constants = 0.5, 0.4 //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max acceleration (Gs)
deceleration_constants = 2.0, 0.5 //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max acceleration (Gs)
SternPosition = 47

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

5) save it as sim.cfg in the CV6_Enterprise desktop folder

6) move the CV6_Enterprise folder to FSX/Simobjects/Boats folder

7) open the veh_carrier01_high_detail_sm folder and copy the SOUND and SOUNDAI folders

8)paste them in the CV6_enterprise folder

>>> AI conversion complete

>->-> add to AICarriers2 cfg list

... at this point i assume you have already installed AICarriers2 in it's default location

1) open the C:\Program Files\AICarriers folder and locate aicarriers.cfg

2) open it with notepad and add this new section of text at the bottom

NOTE: ... where x is the next available formation number
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[formation.x]
title=CV6 carrier
unit.0=CV6_Enterprise, 0, 0

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

3) save

>->-> AiCarriers modification complete

last step - Enjoy

P.S.
the pilotable carrier only has 2 degrees of nose wheel steering to prevent ham fisted multiplayer types from spilling people off the deck

P.S.S
I have the MAAM TBF Avenger and it works fine with acceleration
i cant remember if i had to modify the alpha channel of the glass texture but i think i did

also the tailhook needed to be changed in the aircraft.cfg

[TailHook]
tailhook_length=2.9
tailhook_position = -18.5, 0.0, -4.0 ;(feet)
cable_force_adjust = 1.0

OK, Enjoy some more - bf

djscoo
December 31st, 2008, 19:55
Success!

For those with aicarriers do the following.

Make a copy of the "Model", and "Texture" folders and place them in a new folder titled "Enterprise" in FSX>SimObjects>Boats
Go into another one of the boat's folders and copy the "sim" .cfg file.
Modify it to read as follows (all you should need to do is change the title.

[fltsim.0]
title=Enterprise
model=
texture=

[General]
category=Boat

[contact_points]
static_pitch=0.0 //degrees, pitch when at rest on the ground (+=Up, -=Dn)
static_cg_height=0.0 //feet, altitude of CG when at rest on the ground

[DesignSpecs]
max_speed_mph = 50
acceleration_constants = 0.07, 0.07 //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max acceleration (Gs)
deceleration_constants = 0.05, 0.05 //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max acceleration (Gs)

Next you will need to find your aicarriers main folder. (mine was located in C:> Program Files> AiCarriers)

For some reason I was unable to save the edited .cfg file, if you are using XP however I suspect you shouldn't have any problems with that.

For Vista Users

Open a new notepad doc
Copy and paste the following info into the document

[base]
throttle=60
menu_shortcut=shift+j
confdir=conf.d

[formation.0]
title=Lone carrier
unit.0=veh_carrier01_high_detail_sm, 0, 0

[formation.1]
title=USS Enterprise
unit.0=Enterprise, 0, 0

[formation.2]
title=Lone cruiser
unit.0=VEH_cruiser01, 0, 0

[formation.3]
title=Simple 3 ships fleet
unit.1=VEH_cruiser01, -200, 0
unit.2=VEH_destroyer01, 200, 0

[formation.4]
title=Simple 3 ships fleet (wide)
unit.1=VEH_cruiser01, -600, -100
unit.2=VEH_destroyer01, 600, -100

[formation.5]
title=Full 2 carriers fleet
unit.0=veh_carrier01_high_detail_sm, -400, 400
unit.1=veh_carrier01_high_detail_sm, 400, 400
unit.2=VEH_cruiser01, 0, 800
unit.3=VEH_cruiser01, 1200, 0
unit.4=VEH_destroyer01, 0, 0
unit.5=VEH_cruiser01, -1200, 0
unit.6=VEH_destroyer01, 400, -400
unit.7=VEH_water_tanker03_sm, -400, -400

[formation.6]
title=Tanker fleet
unit.0=VEH_water_supertanker_02_sm, 0, 800
unit.1=Super_tanker_sm, -800, 0
unit.2=ship_cranes_sm, 800, 0

[formation.7]
title=Cruise fleet
unit.0=cruise_linerA_sm, -600, -600
unit.1=cruise_linerB_sm, 600, -600
unit.2=VEH_water_cruiseship1_sm, 300, -1200
unit.3=VEH_water_cruiseship2_sm, -300, -1200
unit.4=VEH_water_yacht_280ft_sm, 0, 0

Save as aicarriers
Drop it into your Aicarriers folder and select "move and replace" when prompted
I just replaced the default "lone cruiser" with the Enterprise you can modify it how you want however as long as you follow the same syntax

For XP users

Simply open up the Aicarriers folder and locate the .cfg file
Modify one of the entries or add a new one (the one below is a starting place, just change "xx" to the corresponding number.)

[formation.xx]
title=USS Enterprise
unit.0=Enterprise, 0, 0

If there is anything wrong with my instructions, holler at me. I just tested it and it worked for me...awesome job Mr. Fitzgerald!

BTW...Tomorrow I could see about zipping up and uploading the modified .cfg's (it's almost my bedtime!):ernae:

djscoo
December 31st, 2008, 20:01
:costumes: you beat me to it!

Kiwikat
December 31st, 2008, 20:16
This is awesome for multiplayer, thanks a LOT!!!:applause::medals:

fliger747
December 31st, 2008, 20:40
Aicarriers2 available at Avsim.... about 5 1/2 megs.

T.

foreigndevil
January 1st, 2009, 01:51
Great work! Thanks!:applause::applause::applause:

hey_moe
January 1st, 2009, 04:09
I asked Bruce if he would mind downloading this baby to our site for our members. It will be great to have this in our collection of downloads. He has agreed....thanks Bruce...Douglas has sent ya the password ya asked for...cheers...Mike:ernae:

X_eidos2
January 1st, 2009, 06:04
Has anyone tried using the recorder module? You could record a flight using the ship and then while in an aircraft of your choice, play back the recorder file "As AI"

PRB
January 1st, 2009, 06:48
Got it to work. One thing about FSX that makes landing on carries more difficult than FS9 is the wind gusts. In FS9 if you set a wind speed and direction, it’s a steady wind. In FSX you get gusty winds, and that sure makes landing on the ship a challenge. I managed to do it, but she nosed over on landing, then settled back down on all three wheels. Being an AI object, it doesn’t show up when you do a replay, or I would have shown the nosed over pic! I’ll have to look into this recorder module…

Great job on this carrier...!

PRB
January 1st, 2009, 07:18
:d :d :d

ErnstF
January 1st, 2009, 07:27
An interesting opportunity, but I get an error-message when trying to load the AI-cv6 :isadizzy: . " Error inserting object. Creating object failed." Do I have to convert the texture to DDS or something????

Panther_99FS
January 1st, 2009, 08:01
Wow PRB - Looks like fun stuff there! :applause:

PRB
January 1st, 2009, 08:51
An interesting opportunity, but I get an error-message when trying to load the AI-cv6 :isadizzy: . " Error inserting object. Creating object failed." Do I have to convert the texture to DDS or something????

You shouldn't have to convert any textures, mine worked as is. I used AICarriers for the ships in the screenshots I posted. It took me a while to figure out how to get my formation to appear on the menu, but it does work. Make sure the title on the "title=" line in the sim.cfg (under Simobjects/boats) matches the "unit.x=" line in the aicarriers.cfg file in the aicarriers folder.

N332DW
January 1st, 2009, 09:10
.. did you follow the instructions at the top of page 2 (this page)

and ... upload to SOH just completed

Boomer
January 1st, 2009, 09:22
Outstanding!

My Hog & Kitty have a new home!

:applause::applause::applause:

PRB
January 1st, 2009, 09:44
I think Enterprise drove into a rock. And Yorktown is moving off. I knew I should have started them further out to sea...

fliger747
January 1st, 2009, 09:51
Paul:

Go to advanced weather, there under the winds tab, you can set the turbulence and gusts as required (zero....)

X_eidos2
January 1st, 2009, 10:26
After a quick test I've found out that you can use the recorder module to record a "flight" or "cruise" for the carrier, and then play it back and land on it.

It does have a couple limitations. When the recorder flight reaches the end, the ship disappears, and if you're on deck admiring yourself for having made a successful landing, you drop into the ocean.

To keep the plane from rolling off the deck I had to set the parking brake. I don't know if this is true of all FSX aircraft. The Harvard doesn't have anything added to it for landing on carriers.

MCDesigns
January 1st, 2009, 11:32
Awesome job, would love to see this with some statics on deck, maybe some personnel also

fliger747
January 1st, 2009, 11:51
About the recorder module. How do you then introduce the airplane?

hey_moe
January 1st, 2009, 12:22
Bill...thanks for unloading it here.... nice for our members to be able to download it here...Mike:ernae::applause:

VCN-1
January 1st, 2009, 12:27
N332DW

Thanks for the instructions.

Works perfectly.

Now I need to get something from that era to land on it.

VCN-1

ErnstF
January 1st, 2009, 12:46
:ernae: Thanks for helping me on board, now it works perfect and I have some great fun :jump: .
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/Fotohatt/hang.jpg

PRB
January 1st, 2009, 13:04
Paul:

Go to advanced weather, there under the winds tab, you can set the turbulence and gusts as required (zero....)

I don’t get it. I set the gusts and turbulence to zero, but not only do I get wild instantaneous 20 knot wind speed changes, which alternately puts be above and below stall speed while on final approach, but the lateral gusts make keeping the airplane from flipping upside down my main concern on approach, leaving little of my attention left to other things, like lining up. And, the wind direction changes! I set it to 360, the direction the ships were going, and during my final wave-off, it was at 345!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The other thing I don’t get is why one of my ships always goes backwards in the aicarrier formation. And the one that goes backwards also bucks up and down like it’s in one of Halsey’s typhoons!

krazycolin
January 1st, 2009, 13:42
AGH!!!!...

I have no idea how to get the carrier... i've done all the stuff (aicarriers2 and downloading the carrier itself..) but.. where is it? how do i set it up?

Help?

PRB
January 1st, 2009, 13:50
If you’ve added the ship to the simobjects/boats folder, and you’ve added a “formation” to the aicarriers.cfg file, then you take off from someplace, fly over some water, then get the menu up (ALT key), under the addons menu, select AI Ships, then Show/Hide menu. Or just hit SHIFT-U. Then, select the formation you added from the list that pops up.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
For me, I could not get my CV-6 formation to show up until I made it the first one in the list [formation.0]. Don’t know why, but that’s what I had to do. Then, when you select it, choose "user location", and the ship just pops into existence under your plane.

fliger747
January 1st, 2009, 13:52
Colin:

You have to go to Addons at the top of the screen and then you will probably find the carriers and FSUPIC (if that is installed). The drop down menu will allow you to position the ship to a distance from your takeoff, or ata waypoint. It took me a few tries to get it into the water!

Am bringing the Corsair on board OK, but there is an issue, that Paul brought up, even without brakes it tips up on it's nose. I think the arrestor utility is setup for nose draggers and applies a nose down moment, instead of a tail pull.

Paul:

Wind is doing OK for me, though I have had issues in some previous scenarios, as you describe.

Tom

N332DW
January 1st, 2009, 15:20
i've just finished creating a LIBRARY OBJECT BGL for use with the object placement tool for creating static scenery or mission developement

i'm uploading it ONLY to SOH

that should cover the last of the bases -
-
some really nice screenshots in this thread BTW - i had no idea this toy would be so well received , cheers

Gdavis101
January 1st, 2009, 15:25
Simply awesome! Thank you.. Went and bought the Real Flight F6, going to do some carrier landings outside of Hawaii tonight.. :applause::applause:

fliger747
January 1st, 2009, 15:33
Anyone with a taildragger not having a nose over tendency in the wires? (Corsair goes all of the way over usually)

T.

PRB
January 1st, 2009, 15:35
I've nosed the Hellcat over every time so far. One time fatally... The other problem is that once I do land, the ship is bounching up and down so violently (Halsey's typoon effect) that I crash shortly after comming to a stop.

fliger747
January 1st, 2009, 16:14
If I stop the ship and adjust the winds up (ala FS9) I don't get any arrestor effect, no nose over either...

Ready to strike below after night landing practice in Puget Sound.

T.

N332DW
January 1st, 2009, 16:21
i've been using the MAAM TBF Avenger - i had the nose over at first -but after modifying the hook coordinates , now it just pulls the fuselage level and it drops back down - i'm also using acceleration and not an arrestor package

i shortened the hook and lowered its origin point , took a lil fiddling...

PRB
January 1st, 2009, 16:23
Where CV-6 should have ended her career... Well done, N332DW! :medals:

fliger747
January 1st, 2009, 17:13
Fiddled with the hook position a little, get a lot of forward pitch, but not a turnover.

T.

Boomer
January 1st, 2009, 17:18
With the Kitty I land into the wind (8-12knts) and when I catch the wire the fuse pulls level then settles back into a 3 point stance.
I hit the deck at about 85kts.

MCDesigns
January 1st, 2009, 17:24
With the Kitty I land into the wind (8-12knts) and when I catch the wire the fuse pulls level then settles back into a 3 point stance.
I hit the deck at about 85kts.

Showoff :costumes:

krazycolin
January 1st, 2009, 19:57
got it! thanks! wow... the Hog is REALLY hard to land at night with all the controls at max... and auto rudder off... i've tried it about 8 times so far and crashed into the carrier twice, bounced off once, tipped over and into the water once and hit the water rather than the carrier four times. Not counting the amount of go arounds... The Hellcat is MUCH nicer.... (the torque and the stall characteristics of the hog are NASTY)

whew... this is FUN...

djscoo
January 1st, 2009, 20:12
This is great!
I'm so used to flying curved approaches on the acceleration carrier, it's kinda fun trying to get the hang of things again.

fliger747
January 1st, 2009, 20:39
:ernae:! Colin, sounds as if you are having fun with the Hog. I just wish the ship would show in the instant replays! I think id does about every nasty trick at low speed that the real one was capable of..... With the ship underway, as oppposed to static, I do not get the nose down on arrestment.

A lot of that incipent torque roll if one applies the throttle with less than coordinated throttle and rudder. It really rewards a smooth hand and foot! I don't think it's any worse than the real deal....

T.

fliger747
January 1st, 2009, 21:02
Couple of shots of Carrier Qual: F4U-1A

expat
January 2nd, 2009, 01:06
Well this is truly superb. :applause: Thanks very much for the new model and also the tip on getting this to work with aicarriers2.

Was getting very excited to build a WWII US and Jap fleet e.g using Usio's warship and Phil Crowther's Liberty Ship models, but sadly these models would not display in FSX. :banghead: Not sure why some other FS9 ships display in FSX with no problems but others won't.

empeck
January 2nd, 2009, 01:19
fliger747 - which Corsair is it?

X_eidos2
January 2nd, 2009, 03:49
fliger747 asked "About the recorder module. How do you then introduce the airplane?"

You record and save the flight of the carrier. Then you start another flight using whichever aircraft you prefer, then go to the recorder menu and select "play as traffic" and then select the saved carrier recorder file and click Open. You should then be back in sim, flying your aircraft and the carrier in your world, following the course recorded in it's recorder file.

You can play back more than one recorder file at a time. You can also record a file of your landing and then play that back as well. It would take awhile to do, but in theory you could get it up to seven or eight files going at the same time and fill up the flight deck. Unfortunately, the recorder module doesn't record wing folding or canopy open or tailhook status.

stiz
January 2nd, 2009, 04:00
fliger747 - which Corsair is it?

milvis's, currently in early beta

empeck
January 2nd, 2009, 05:14
milvis's, currently in early beta

OK, where I can sign for beta testing? :kilroy:

hews500d
January 2nd, 2009, 05:30
OK, where I can sign for beta testing? :kilroy:

I signed on for beta and thought I was going to get to help, but never heard anything back...:crybaby:

Darrell

PRB
January 2nd, 2009, 06:24
This is awesome! Finally landed on a steady, but moving, ship (not bouncing.) Moving carriers are great! When I stopped and looked around, the sensation of being on a big moving ship was pretty cool.
Now the weird part. I made a second “CV-6”, fiddled with the deck texture file to turn the “6” into a “5” and called it “Yorktown”. Just for fun. I can setup formations with just CV-6, just CV-5 or both. In any event, the CV-6 ship goes backwards when I tell it to move, and it bounces around so violently that you get a crash soon after coming to a stop. However, the “Yorktown” does not do this! CV-5 is steady as a rock. I’ve gone over the sim.cfg files in the “boats” folder, and all appears to be as it should.

PRB
January 2nd, 2009, 06:27
Here’s me on Enterprise after I land. Watch the SBD about have way through… This is Enterprise during what I think is the Battle of Santa Cruz. That actually was the result of a bomb hit forward. But that’s what happened to me after I land on Enterprise. :costumes:

kuTSMqzAozU

krazycolin
January 2nd, 2009, 06:34
For all those who signed on for the Beta for the Corsair, we're still in ALPHA not beta. Hence the reason we've not contacted anyone ... (yet) but soon!

crashaz
January 2nd, 2009, 07:19
Where CV-6 should have ended her career... Well done, N332DW! :medals:

I couldn't have agreed more PRB! Big E deserved a much better fate... and that is exactly where I would have put her... moored next to Ford Island... although in her original berthing behind Utah on Carrier Row.

Would have also helped people remember the Utah!

fliger747
January 2nd, 2009, 07:31
On the Corsair, I think it will be pretty nice when complete. It's Alpha enough for me to have some fun wringing it out in the air and aboard ship. The carrier came along just at the right time. In it's present iteration, it's not any harder or easier to bring aboard than I expect the real one was. Field Carrier Landing Practice (FCLP) is very necessary to develop the skills required to not provide the fleet with more Kamakaze effect than the Japanese did! I do look forward to the Beta phase and feedback as to the flight charcteristics.

Cheers: Tom

hews500d
January 2nd, 2009, 07:33
For all those who signed on for the Beta for the Corsair, we're still in ALPHA not beta. Hence the reason we've not contacted anyone ... (yet) but soon!

Very cool! Looking forward to it :applause: She's gonna be one fine bird!

Darrell

PRB
January 2nd, 2009, 14:09
Ok, how do you use the ship like an airplane? Meaning, I have it installed in the simobjects/airplanes folder, and its thumbnail appears with all the other planes, and I can even select it, as though I was going to “fly” it. So I figure I can’t start the “flight” from KSEA, because then I’d have an aircraft carrier “beached” on the end of the runway at KSEA, right? And what’s the point of that? So, I take off in an amphibious plane, land in the water, and then switch “planes” to the Enterprise. Brilliant! Except it always results in a crash, or, as FSX calls it, a “SPLASH”, if you crash in the water. So what gives? How do I get on the bridge and drive this ship around?

fliger747
January 2nd, 2009, 15:03
Paul:

I think you can place it at a waypoint, there are several in Puget Sound, BREMM and WNSLO are two within 10-12 miles of 'Boing" Field (where I do all my bounce and go's).

T.

fliger747
January 2nd, 2009, 15:05
The bridge? Try {shift-1} ... or one of those, you have twin trottles and an autopilot, though the clomb rate is rather low.....

X_eidos2
January 2nd, 2009, 19:11
There are several ways to set up the "pilotable" version of the carrier.

Here's one. With the carrier selected as your "aircraft," start the flight at any location you like (close to a large body of water makes things easier). Then access the map view. Move the icon of aircraft till it's over the water. Set the altitude to 0. Then close out of map view, and your ship should be sitting in water ready to go. I would recommend doing a "save flight" at this point.

Second method - Turn off crash detection until you've created a few flights for the ship. Then start a flight with the ship at any desired airport. Then using the slew key, move the ship to the nearest water. Pressing the F1 key while in slew mode will lower the ship down to sea level. Once on the water in the desired location, exit out of slew mode and create a "Saved Flight" file.

expat
January 3rd, 2009, 01:51
Just did a trap with the Guy Hulin ABC Hog. Great to land on a fleet of moving ships.

Anyone else not have any wake effect using this with aicarriers2?

The default ships have wakes, not the CV-6. Also, while I could not get USIO's great warship models to appear, I did get the USS Mispillion to work, but also no wake. Have dropped the CV-6 wake effects in the Effects folder as instructed.

Any theories?

Stickshaker
January 3rd, 2009, 02:03
I am in the process of adding the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Enterprise</st1:place></st1:City> to the scenery library with the FSX Object Placement Tool and downloaded a tutorial for this. It says that I do not only have to install the Object Placement Tool but also to activate it by modifying the dll.xml file. This should be in the same directory as the fsx.cfg file. But I cannot find either of these files. I searched the whole hard disk with Explorer. Is this perhaps because I am using <st1:place>Vista</st1:place>? Has anyone any idea where these files could be?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks<o:p></o:p>

empeck
January 3rd, 2009, 02:23
FSX.cfg and dll.xml in Vista are here:

c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\

N332DW
January 3rd, 2009, 05:07
XPAT:
missing wake? i only provided the wake effect with the pilotable version - it is an attached effect to the model itself - what water render detail setting are you using? i tested it at minimum and mid 2.x - it also has to be moving

PRB: the 2 methods that X_eidos suggests for setting the pilotable carrier are indeed the two methods i use , the last being to start a flight at a seaplane base - i actually found a PDF on the web that lists them all but can't remember where i found it , (they are the anchor icon when in map view)

Stickshaker
January 3rd, 2009, 05:19
Thanks, Empeck. I don't know why Explorer couldn't find it, but I've got the file now. Hoping to finally sail away in a few minutes.

expat
January 3rd, 2009, 06:43
i only provided the wake effect with the pilotable version

I just copied the entry into the sim.cfg and it works fine.Thanks again!

X_eidos2
January 3rd, 2009, 07:40
Wakes - The recorder modules treats objects like they are AI objects and for that reason, will not show wakes on ships if there is more than one ship in the scene at a time. Making the adjustment to the sim.cfg file as expat suggested might solve this limitation.

Adding extra aircraft to the flight deck or hanger deck - It can be done but there were some serious drawbacks that make the process more trouble than it's worth. How it can be done. First make a recorder flight file or frc file of the ship sailing along as desired. Using the free conversion tools available at the recorder website you then convert the frc file to a txt or text file. Then you make edits to the file and change the name of the model from the carrier to the name of the plane you want on the flight deck. You also add a line of text to the file that offsets the position of the plane so that it appears on deck. You will also have to add some text to offset the plane's pitch so that it looks like it's sitting on the deck. Save the text file with a slightly different name from the ship's flight file. Once completed you use the converter tool to convert the text file back into a frc file. Then you can playback both files at the same time and you'll see the plane sitting on the deck of the carrier as the ship is sailing along.

The drawbacks - when the recorder plays back a flight or frc file as AI, you hear the default AI sound, so your plane or ship ends up sounding like a Cessna. If the ship is moving, the prop on the plane will be turning. If the ship has smoke turned on during the flight, or cruise, the plane will have it's smoke system on as well. And the worse part of all, if you have more than a couple aircraft on deck the frame rates drop way down.

A better solution would be to have someone model an object that is several parked aircraft with folded wings and save it as a mdl file and drop it into a new aircraft folder and use that "aircraft" when making the duplicate frc files.

expat
January 3rd, 2009, 08:50
This model by N332DW and Lamont Clark's ingenious aicarriers2 are bloody briliant! Lots of possiblities. Wanted to use Usio's models but these are for CFS2 and while they port over to FS9 ok-ish they don't seem to work at all in FSX - maybe because they are GMAX? Was ready to build the "Tokyo Express" steaming up the "slot" in the Solomons. If someone knows a trick how to get these to work in FSX that would be great.

USIO's ships: http://www.geocities.jp/usio_no_ibuki/

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5923/fleet2dw5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/fleet2dw5.jpg/1/w1024.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img168/fleet2dw5.jpg/1/)

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9103/fleetky9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/fleetky9.jpg/1/w1024.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img55/fleetky9.jpg/1/)

fliger747
January 3rd, 2009, 10:51
In FS9 Yanko had a very excellent (about the best I have seen for ships) Midway and Coral Sea set for US and Japanese ships. depending on the time of day the deck park of AI planes were fwd or aft, or not there (airborne), or the ship's AA was in full force. Unfortunatly the attempts I have seen to transpose to FSX were not fully successful, especially with regards to flattening.

expat
January 4th, 2009, 02:10
I checked my FS9 install of Yanko's Midway scenery but the ships all appear to be static bgl scenery, not AI ships.

I have put together a WWII fleet version of the modern day "Two carrier - full fleet" choice in aicarriers2. I now have the Sara and Big E (mk 1) together with a good looking Fletcher Class destroyer made by Phil Crowther that looks and works fine. The USS Mispillion oiler also works in FSX and the aicarriers2 program.

What's missing is a good WWII cruiser model to add into the fleet. Tried a few battle wagons at FS Shipyards. The one that worked was too large and out of scale to the rest of the fleet. Will keep trying some CFS2 ships but most of those don't seem to work in FSX.

fliger747
January 4th, 2009, 08:51
Yes, Yanko's ships are static, but work well for their purpose there. Moving landable carriers was one of the issues worked out for FSX (even though proceded by the still very excellent CFS2 and Pacific Fighters).

Having Fun! T.

GypsyBaron
January 4th, 2009, 14:34
For those of you using the Enterprise with Lamont Clark's aicarriers2 and/or
AI Boat Utility, you might want to have a look at this thread.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=7200

I've posted a method for locating and placing your aircraft on a moving
carrier deck in free flight. You can then "Save" that situation
and subsequently reload it IF you are using a carrier you placed
using Lamont Clark's AI Boat Utility.
Flights using carriers placed with the aicarriers2 menu are not 'save-able', however.

Paul

expat
January 5th, 2009, 00:16
Thanks Paul. Good to know this can be done. Am finding the AS Big E works pretty well in FSX (whereas the Carriers2006 set gives me building crashes) also for startup on the deck of a CV.

fliger747
January 5th, 2009, 05:42
It would be "possible" to have a paint for Hornet, which was had a little more varied camoflage scheme than Enterprise or Yorktown. I had a friend who as a young man served on Hornet the whole year she was in comission. Some history there!

Having a lot of fun with this, using it extensively for Carier Quals for the new Corsair.

expat
January 5th, 2009, 06:31
My trial and error continues. Most of the better looking WWII warships e.g. at the Virtual Navy or CG's Shipyard were designed for CFS2. I think this means these are FSDS models and that to work in FSX they need to be GMAX.

Is this correct?

Is there a way to easily convert FSDS models to GMAX?

FS Shipyards don't seem to have any WWII cruisers or battleships that will work in FSX. They have some destoyers but the best ones I found I think are at Avsim, e.g. Ron Jeffers' Fletcher class, and a later Charles Adams (post WWII I know) also works well. I also got Paul Clawson's Liberty Ship to work. If I could only add some WWII cruisers (US and IJN) we would have one great moving fleet!

Can anyone suggest other sources of AI military ships?

fliger747
January 5th, 2009, 09:49
Michael Davies beautiful Essex ships seem to be on perma hold for some reason. Too bad.

FSX has great potential for ships, but my guess is that most of our ship type guys stated out in CFS2 and leaked over to FS9, but have not made the transition on to the changes in working methods necessary for the new sim. The place to post such question would be in the "Naval Affairs" forum here at SOH. Perhaps some interest has to be planted!

GypsyBaron
January 5th, 2009, 10:20
Hickup with my 1st post...ignore this...see the next one

GypsyBaron
January 5th, 2009, 10:23
My trial and error continues.
-snip-

As does mine :)

FS Shipyards don't seem to have any WWII cruisers or battleships that will work in FSX. They have some destoyers but the best ones I found I think are at Avsim, e.g. Ron Jeffers' Fletcher class, and a later Charles Adams (post WWII I know) also works well. I also got Paul Clawson's Liberty Ship to work.
-snip-I, too, have the liberty ship working with aicarriers2 as well as the Fletcher class
DD by Phil Crowther ( from fs-shipyards.org ).
The DD has the razzle-dazzle paint scheme which I'm not too
enamoured with, so I did a quick repaint to a solid grey.

The Charles Adams DDG suffers from some tranparentcy issues
with the life lines when viewed from a low angle but looks OK
when viewed from a reasonable altitude.

On the aicarriers note...has anyone else noticed that a fleet will
NOT move if you locate it "1 NM ahead"? I struggled for some
time yesterday thinking I had a system problem until I
chose "5 NM" or even "At user location". Not a big problem
but it did cause me to dig around a bit.

If anyone wants my Fletcher DD textures, I could upload them here.

Paul

expat
January 5th, 2009, 10:30
If anyone wants my Fletcher DD textures, I could upload them here.

Yes please! Paul, your artwork is a great improvement.

The Charles Adams DDG suffers from some tranparentcy issues
with the life lines when viewed from a low angle but looks OK
when viewed from a reasonable altitude.

Have same issue but it's one of the better warships that works and looks good from most angles.

has anyone else noticed that a fleet will
NOT move if you locate it "1 NM ahead"?

Don't think I have this problem. Whether its 1nm or 5nm I still need to do an extra keystroke or two to click "forward" before the ships will move, it's not automatic.

fliger747
January 5th, 2009, 11:23
DD 537, USS Sullivans. Named after the five brothers from Nebraska who were lost with the Juneau, in the Slot.

T.

GypsyBaron
January 5th, 2009, 11:38
DD 537, USS Sullivans. Named after the five brothers from Nebraska who were lost with the Juneau, in the Slot.

T.

Yes sir. That's why I chose that hull number.

I'll upload the repaint as soon as I get access from the admins here.

Paul

expat
January 5th, 2009, 13:16
Now if someone could figure out how to get this and others made by USIO to work in FSX . .

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/67/pensawp6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/pensawp6.jpg/1/w1024.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img135/pensawp6.jpg/1/)

fliger747
January 5th, 2009, 13:28
Looks like either Pensacola or Swayback Maru (Salt Lake city) "victor" of the longest running gun battle of the Pacific war... she survived and the Japanese retreated from the scene of action and did not complete their mission....

EgoR64
January 5th, 2009, 13:29
:rapture:

Hi expat,

those are real purdy !!

Cheers !!

expat
January 5th, 2009, 13:51
Usio does very nice work indeed: http://www.geocities.jp/usio_no_ibuki/

PRB
January 5th, 2009, 14:16
... On the aicarriers note...has anyone else noticed that a fleet will NOT move if you locate it "1 NM ahead"? I struggled for some time yesterday thinking I had a system problem until I
chose "5 NM" or even "At user location". Not a big problem but it did cause me to dig around a bit. ...

How do you place a fleet “1 NM ahead”? Ahead of what? Is it with those two numbers at the end of the unit.x=USS_Ship, 0 , 0 line in the aicarriers.cfg file? After playing around with them, I think they are displacement (x and y) from the center of the formation, but I don’t know what the units are. I assume from the results, that it’s yards. I haven’t seen my formation not move, exactly. But your statement here reminds me of the problem I am having, that the Enterprise will not move. Actually it does move, she jumps up and down like a ship possessed by demons, and spins around as it at anchor in a stiff wind. However, my Yorktown, which is nothing more than a copy of Enterprise renamed, moves fine. Very strange.

expat
January 5th, 2009, 14:35
One last shot for tonight:

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/4555/slotbt7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/slotbt7.jpg/1/w1024.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img166/slotbt7.jpg/1/)

fliger747
January 5th, 2009, 14:54
Paul:

When you are flying your carrier bird of choice, hit the module selections at the top and select the ships menu. If it does not have a position menu, ie, 1 NM or 5 NM ahead etc, hit delete, then select CV6, then the positioning menu will show up.

PRB
January 5th, 2009, 15:26
Modules? What modules? Are we still talking about AICarriers2? I'm confuesder now! This is what I see...

fliger747
January 5th, 2009, 16:50
Paul:

Yes, select Enterprise or Yorky, then the next page that comes up should have the object placement menu. Mine has 1 NM, 5 NM and several other choices. Helps if you are over water....

GypsyBaron
January 5th, 2009, 17:45
Paul:

Yes, select Enterprise or Yorky, then the next page that comes up should have the object placement menu. Mine has 1 NM, 5 NM and several other choices. Helps if you are over water....

-SNIP-

EDIT: Seems the message I replied to may have been in response to the
other 'Paul' here :)

Referencing my previous post concerning repaints of the
Fletcher DD. I went a bit further than I had originally intended
and wound up creating 9 seperate paints:
----- DesRon 52 - DesDiv 103 -----
USS Miller DD-535
USS Owen DD-536
USS The Sullivans DD-537
USS Stephen Potter DD-538
USS Tingey DD-539

----- DesRon 21 - DesDiv 42 ----
USS Fletcher DD-445
USS Radford DD-446
USS Jenkins DD-447
USS La Vallette DD-448

Each one is 'customized' beyond just the hull numbers
so they won't be cookie cutter clones :)

A couple of screenshots on one of the DD's are attached.

Paul

Ronbocdn
January 7th, 2009, 13:52
Wow nice carriers .... cant wait to land on one of those bad boys :ernae:

fliger747
January 7th, 2009, 17:12
Fletchers sit a little high in the water, but ya have to love e'm....

T.

whitehawk_2009
January 7th, 2009, 21:22
Is this the CV-6 the one that (I thought) was going to be released as scenery for the FS9 crowd?

I don't go to this forum much, so I could have missed an announcement.

WH

fliger747
January 7th, 2009, 22:13
As good an end to an arrested landing as I can do.... Carrier Qual trials, F4U-1A, Off Midway, 1944. Attol barely visible astern.

T.

jeansy
January 11th, 2009, 23:52
thankyou very much

michael davies
January 22nd, 2009, 10:05
Michael Davies beautiful Essex ships seem to be on perma hold for some reason. Too bad.

Sadly real life is a bear right now coupled with a complete burn out from FS, hence this much delayed reply ( 17 days ), so much so that all aircraft projects are stored until further notice, probably forever if I'm a realist.

The good news is that the carriers, Essex ( several variants ) and Reagan will pick some labour up in the next few weeks hopefully, with the aircraft factory closed, work on the carriers will / should progress much better.

One of the first things will be a need to re read this thread and try to remember all I've forgotten over the last months LOL, some good stuff going on in here and these carriers are looking rather excellent in FSx it has to be said !.

Best

Michael

fliger747
January 22nd, 2009, 10:18
Michael:

Good luck personally and professionally. For those that have not seen his Essex ships in progress, they are indeed works of creative genius.

Boomer
January 22nd, 2009, 10:21
Michael,

Keep up the good fight! Finish the CV's when time permits. What you have thus far is magic & way to many hours invested to just be dropped.

Tom,

When are you gonna stop taunting us with that Hog & release it??? :redfire: :redfire: :redfire:

fliger747
January 22nd, 2009, 10:43
Not mine to release, I just make it fly....

However various others are making good progress on pulling it together and are hoping for a beta test (what was that ESSS word I was looking for?).

Glad to see the sucess of both new vendors and the release of some of the classic Naval Aircraft, done with the advances that FSX can bring forth. Some very tallented people out there!