PDA

View Full Version : Dino's F35 on sale at SimMarket

Lionheart
August 15th, 2012, 19:22
Hey all,

I saw that SimMarket was having a sale on the new F35 by Dino. I noted it has the B version STOVL design in the mix (all three versions; A, B, C). Sold!

Tested it last night after work and fell in love with Dino and Rob's new VTOL hover system. Auto hover!!!!!! Blooooooooooooooooooooooody great! Worked flawlessly. I cant believe how fun it was to take off and land in VTOL mode.

If you get it; T (tailhook) turns on STOVL/VTOL mode. Shift/H or Control/H flips you between STOVL and VTOL modes. VTOL is pure vertical, while STOVL is forward motion semi-VTOL mode, for hopping into the sky with max payloads and fuel.

When in VTOL mode, pushing the stick forward brings you down (if hovering) and pulling the stick back (when in VTOL mode) will raise you off the ground (if you arent overweight with fuel. An auto VTOL cutout system keeps it from engaging if you are overweight for VTOL).

If you love jet fighters and futuristic concept jets, this is IT!!!!!

Bill

rcbarend
August 16th, 2012, 17:20
Hey all,

I saw that SimMarket was having a sale on the new F35 by Dino. I noted it has the B version STOVL design in the mix (all three versions; A, B, C). Sold!

Tested it last night after work and fell in love with Dino and Rob's new VTOL hover system. Auto hover!!!!!! Blooooooooooooooooooooooody great! Worked flawlessly. I cant believe how fun it was to take off and land in VTOL mode.

If you get it; T (tailhook) turns on STOVL/VTOL mode. Shift/H or Control/H flips you between STOVL and VTOL modes. VTOL is pure vertical, while STOVL is forward motion semi-VTOL mode, for hopping into the sky with max payloads and fuel.

When in VTOL mode, pushing the stick forward brings you down (if hovering) and pulling the stick back (when in VTOL mode) will raise you off the ground (if you arent overweight with fuel. An auto VTOL cutout system keeps it from engaging if you are overweight for VTOL).

If you love jet fighters and futuristic concept jets, this is IT!!!!!

Bill
Hi Bill,

Good to hear your enthousiasme :)
Especially from someone who knows all about aircraft addon design first-hand ....

:icon29: Rob

Lionheart
August 16th, 2012, 17:49
Man Rob,

You have outdone yourself, man... I was more impressed then I showed. It is very easy to control this thing in hover, and from how it is talked about by pilots and in documentaries, its the same as the real thing; easy and straight forward and all managed by the onboard computer(s).

I was pretty impressed by how you also included side ways movement (like a Harrier) as well as forward, backward, and extremely realistic turning (pivoting) all while sitting there hovering.

I did approaches and checked out how the 'deceleration to hover' did and was also impressed by how gentle it was. I did plant it in the ground 2 times (very first, and once late in the night). The second time was not realizing I had the throttle at 10% when transitioning from hover to STOVL mode (forward acceleration and going into semi pure flight mode). She dropped out of the sky from maybe 15 feet and created a nicely made swimming pool in the ground.

I like also the controls and how simple it is, as well as the vibrating panel which occurs in some instances.

The engine graphics and animation, how it pivots and turns is beautiful and very detailed, especially the thrust nozzle sections that all work in harmony and the well done thrust flame in doughnuts (sonic rings) on full throttle moments.

That is also one sophisticated shape. It was well modeled. Must have been a ton of work.

Yep, you did well Rob. Very very very good. That is one nice job on the VTOL/STOVL. Lockheed Martin will be impressed.

Bill

Lionheart
August 19th, 2012, 20:14
Day off. Tonight, I did some pattern flights, touch and goes, and then playing around again with STOVL/VTOL.

I found you can put throttle to full and birp the STOVL mode a couple of times (when hovering) to high speed taxi in hover mode. Works nicely. You 'must' be at nearly full throttle though or you drop like a block of concrete filled with rocket fuel.

:S

EDIT: Further play in Hover and STOVL modes. With full power, you can get up to 70 plus/minus knots, tapping VTOL to slow back down. It seems to keep its alt. well, stable, like as though the system is keeping the angle held when zero joystick is being given input.

Its so cool to taxi up to a hanger, hovering the entire time, pull up, drop the landing gear, and gently touch down. Your tires will never wear out! Nice touch on moving sideways. Loving this bird!

ryanbatc
August 19th, 2012, 20:34
Wow the plane was cheap to begin with... this is a great deal!

Lionheart
August 19th, 2012, 20:37
Hey Ryan,

I think the sale has ended. This was last week.

I couldnt believe the price. A very good deal.

Bill

Lionheart
August 19th, 2012, 21:47
Dino,

I would like to make a humble request.

Is it possible to compile a B model without the rudders!?

Please... If possible, if you have time.

I was looking at this thing tonight, and it occurred to me, it looks a bit like that Canard rudderless jet fighter, but with rudders. This thing would look so cool without rudders.

Some excellent model work on that shape... Nice job.

Bill

rcbarend
August 20th, 2012, 01:08
Day off. Tonight, I did some pattern flights, touch and goes, and then playing around again with STOVL/VTOL.

I found you can put throttle to full and birp the STOVL mode a couple of times (when hovering) to high speed taxi in hover mode. Works nicely. You 'must' be at nearly full throttle though or you drop like a block of concrete filled with rocket fuel.

:S

EDIT: Further play in Hover and STOVL modes. With full power, you can get up to 70 plus/minus knots, tapping VTOL to slow back down. It seems to keep its alt. well, stable, like as though the system is keeping the angle held when zero joystick is being given input.

Its so cool to taxi up to a hanger, hovering the entire time, pull up, drop the landing gear, and gently touch down. Your tires will never wear out! Nice touch on moving sideways. Loving this bird!

Hi Bill,

Just a little correction :)
As it is now, in STOL mode, you need to give around 50% throttle to maintain 70/80 knots when flying leveled.
Below 70 knots, the F35B will sink because of strongly reduced winglift (see last point).

When Hover mode is active, throttle position makes no difference since it's flying on auto throttle/thrust; forward speed can be influenced with stickbuttons (in my FSX implementation: ailerons trimcommands, so that you can use standard FSX controls); elevator control doesn't influence pitch attitude (auto-controlled to remain leveled); elevator control just controls vertical speed.

Now, the exact control during STOL still is a bit guesswork.
I've seen videofootage/comments that suggest that also in STOL (non-Hover mode) the F35B is on autothrust, and you set airspeed with the throttle (so throttle position indirectly determines airspeed, and required actual thrust and nozzle/fan position is then calculated/set by FMC).
And a much lower possible airspeed (like 20 Knots) in non-Hover mode.
But unless someone with detailed, factual knowledge can describe me exactly how it works IRL, my educated guess is as good as anyone's :)
If/when that's fully cleared, I'll certainly make an update.

Cheers, Rob

Lionheart
August 20th, 2012, 11:27
Hi Bill,

As it is now, in STOL mode, you need to give around 50% throttle to maintain 70/80 knots when flying leveled.
Below 70 knots, the F35B will sink because of strongly reduced winglift (see last point).

When Hover mode is active, throttle position makes no difference since it's flying on auto throttle/thrust; forward speed can be influenced with stickbuttons (in my FSX implementation: ailerons trimcommands, so that you can use standard FSX controls); elevator control doesn't influence pitch attitude (auto-controlled to remain leveled); elevator control just controls vertical speed.

I've seen videofootage/comments that suggest that also in STOL (non-Hover mode) the F35B is on autothrust, and you set airspeed with the throttle (so throttle position indirectly determines airspeed, and required actual thrust and nozzle/fan position is then calculated/set by FMC).
But unless someone with detailed, factual knowledge can describe me exactly how it works IRL, my educated guess is as good as anyone's :)

Cheers, Rob

Roger that Rob. I had to read through the manual to figure out how to run/manage the STOVL system and learned that it auto manages the vertical flight in VTOL-Hover mode. Wasnt sure on the STOVL on min throttle position. Thats awesome to know we can taxi in the air at 20 knots. She seems to hold attitude very well so no touching the joystick and she is solid in low altitude stability.

I know it would be a bit dumb to hover with the landing gear up, but man, it looks so cool to hover around with the gear up and only dropping them when you are about to touch down.

Fun jet.

Sundog
August 20th, 2012, 17:22
Hi Bill,

Cheers, Rob

I saw a video on the STOVL mode for the F-35 by L-M. I'll try to find it, but IIRC, the way it worked, with the throttle at 50% (The middle position) the aircraft was neutral in altitude. If you pushed the throttle forward, you weren't controlling thrust directly but telling the aircraft you want to gain altitude (go up.) If you pulled back, you want to reduce altitude (go down). My guess is, like with the speed control for AP, the further away you are from the 50% position, the greater the rate change.

As for the stick, if you pushed it forward, the aircraft moved laterally forward. If you pulled it back, you moved laterally back. If you moved to the side it moved in that direction and the rudder pedals controlled the heading.

It's very similar to what you modeled. I'm definitely not nitpicking as I love what you did. It is so much fun to fly, I've probably been landing places you're not supposed to; the F-35B and Orbx PNW airfields (I'm practicing a lot of forward deployments ;) ) are great fun.

rcbarend
August 20th, 2012, 18:49
I saw a video on the STOVL mode for the F-35 by L-M. I'll try to find it, but IIRC, the way it worked, with the throttle at 50% (The middle position) the aircraft was neutral in altitude. If you pushed the throttle forward, you weren't controlling thrust directly but telling the aircraft you want to gain altitude (go up.) If you pulled back, you want to reduce altitude (go down). My guess is, like with the speed control for AP, the further away you are from the 50% position, the greater the rate change.

As for the stick, if you pushed it forward, the aircraft moved laterally forward. If you pulled it back, you moved laterally back. If you moved to the side it moved in that direction and the rudder pedals controlled the heading.

It's very similar to what you modeled. I'm definitely not nitpicking as I love what you did. It is so much fun to fly, I've probably been landing places you're not supposed to; the F-35B and Orbx PNW airfields (I'm practicing a lot of forward deployments ;) ) are great fun.

Hi,

Don't worry, I don't see your comment as nitpicking at all :) Because I'm willing to learn ....
I KNOW it's fun to fly (LoL, I'm biassed), but I'm very interrested in the video's you base your comment on.

But please realise, your description on what you observe is still ambiguous (sorry !!)
And is exactly the reason why (up to now) why I can't implement it more realistically now.

- You speak about "gain altitude (go up)" and "reduce altitude (go down)" commanded by throttle changes.
1. In what mode of operation is that ?
2. What do you mean by "gain altitude" ?
A. The aircraft gains altitude because it pitches up and therefore (with foreward airspeed) gains altitude ?
B. The aircraft gains altitude with constant pitch attitude ?

- What do you mean by "moving laterally forward" ?
"Laterally" means "sideways without changing heading and forward airspeed" as far as I know.
So I'm puzzled as to what you mean.

In fact, with what you describe, I don't understand why you state that "it's very simular to what I modelled".
The way I read it, what you describe is quite opposite of what I modelled.
In Hover mode, pushing the stick forward means that the F35B maintains it's current (forward) airspeed, heading and (0) pitch attitude, whilst loosing altitude. Both in real life and how I modelled it. (that's one of the things I AM convinced about :) ).
Hope you see my confusion.....

Best regards, Rob

StormILM
August 20th, 2012, 20:46
As for the stick, if you pushed it forward, the aircraft moved laterally forward. If you pulled it back, you moved laterally back

That's not correct. When in VL mode, the FCS automatically sets the plane in decel model at nose level. At that point the pitch axis on the stick no longer affects the pitch attitude of the plane. In VL mode the F-35B will climb vertically with back pressure and descend with forward pressure nearly identically to how Dino's F35B is modeled. As noted, the lateral/level side slip is controlled by left/right inputs on the stick and rudder pedals will control the yaw/nose heading.

Here is a video demo of the real LM F-35B simulator showing the STOVL mode operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbnWg4v6iHk

Lionheart
August 20th, 2012, 22:30
I seem to recall that specifically in a video, that forward stick brought you down in hover mode, and back stick brought you up, and side stick make you move directly sideways. I believe that video was from LM.

Sundog
August 21st, 2012, 01:05
That's not correct. When in VL mode, the FCS automatically sets the plane in decel model at nose level. At that point the pitch axis on the stick no longer affects the pitch attitude of the plane. In VL mode the F-35B will climb vertically with back pressure and descend with forward pressure nearly identically to how Dino's F35B is modeled. As noted, the lateral/level side slip is controlled by left/right inputs on the stick and rudder pedals will control the yaw/nose heading.

Here is a video demo of the real LM F-35B simulator showing the STOVL mode operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbnWg4v6iHk

Yeah, I think when I originally read it, I didn't read it carefully enough, because it went from throttle to stick in the same paragraph,

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/hawkerassociation/hanewsletters/hanewsletter030nvu/testflyingjointstrikefighter.html

But I notice they never really discuss how it moves forward or backward in the hover. They just note that it decelerates to a spot. Does this mean the F-35B pilot just designates a spot on the airfield to "hover" at? In which case the lateral movement (pilot input) would just be necessary for LHS ops since they usually hover next to it then move over to land since it is auto speed matched. You wouldn't need that capability at an airfield if you marked the spot where you want to land. I'm guessing they probably just move that spot electronically on the display to move it in hover if required?

Sundog
August 21st, 2012, 21:14
OK, I found out from people in the know. This what they said, which is just like the vid and the link show, but now I know how the throttle operates in hover mode as well.

In hover mode:

Forward-aft stick = vertical acceleration

Left-right stick = left-right translate.

Pedals = left-right rotate

Throttle = forward acceleration/deceleration. Mid-setting is speed hold. Idle setting - decelerate to hover or preset speed stop.

I think the deceleration in throttle forward is a typo. You push the throttle forward to accelerate and when at a forward speed you want to stay at you pull it back to the middle for speed hold, or keep it full forward to accelerate to STO mode. Pull it back to idle to enter a hover or a speed you set it at, which I'm guessing would be the speed to match landing on a moving ship. i.e., if the ship is moving at 20 knots you set it for 20 knots or if it's moving at 15 knots you set it at 15 knots.

Very cool.

StormILM
August 22nd, 2012, 01:54
I concur on much of that. That LM video didn't clarify the forward speed control but other video sources indicate that the speed and modes are redundantly controllable from either the throttle or in the forward display. I would assume most of it is in a click-preset algorithm of some sort to minimize the workload on the pilot. All being noted, it's probably safe to say that the way Dino's F-35B is done is very accurate considering known limitations of FSX. It's simply amazing how stable the model is in the slow and vertical modes and the transitions are almost smooth as glass. I do not know if anyone has tried it yet but I tried to 'VIFF" the 35B while inverted which I thought would yield disastrous results. Instead, it actually righted itself from inverted to upright and was stable in STOL mode! I repeated this over and over but with generally the same results. Amazing bit of coding there!

BTW, if anyone questions the maneuver envelope accuracy, well, it's hard to say 100% but the latest info I heard out of the F-35 camp is that this thing has an instantaneous turn rate on par with just about everything currently flying and sustained turn rates better that the F-16 and F/A-18's(all variants). It's said to be fully controllable and 50* AoA which is pretty good. So I'd say it's on par or better than anything outside the TV side of the fence. Dino's F-35 sure seems to hit close to the mark if the above mentioned is correct.

Ferry_vO
August 22nd, 2012, 04:50
Try hovering the F-35 in windy conditions and watch the aircraft compensate for shifts in wind speed.... Pretty amazing! Carrier landings have never been easier.

rcbarend
August 22nd, 2012, 08:37
Hi All,

As the designer of the STOVL function in Dino's F35B (who else ...LoL), a lot of the info I based my design on, comes from a guy who actually had time in the LM demo simulator a few years back. And I implemented what he could remember, plus added some things I would expect myself in such a complex FBW flightmodel.

Like: as stated in one of the video's of the simulator by the LM instructor (forgot his name), in STOL mode the automation will prevent you from making "crashable" maneuvers. To me, that translates to "limiting pitch and bank attitude" ..
Like I also would expect that in Hover mode, the F35B has auto-windcompenstation. Which explains (comment by this same instructor) that when LM had Harrier or helicopter pilots in their simulator, they were rather "disappointed" because it was too easy ...LoL

What would happen in real life when you fly inverted and then activate STOL mode (if even possible) is pure speculation.
Only a test pilot (or reallife F35B designer) can tell, and as far as I can tell none of us here qualify :)
What happens now in Dino's FSX model, I admit, is pure coïncidental and not by design ....

One thing I AM pretty sure about, is how the pilot controls fore/aft speed when in Hover mode: not by using throttle, but by a up/down push button on the stick.
That said: if you activate Hover mode while tracking a moving carrier, the DECEL function doesn't decellerate to zero grondspeed, but to the carrier groundspeed; this is "artistic freedom", which is what I would expect from such an advanced aircraft.
But not based on factual info. Sorry :)

Anyway, I'm glad most of you like what I designed sofar.
No doubt when more (factual !!) info becomes available, I'll be the first to make an update.
As long as Dino doesn't mind, and it isn't limited by his current visual model.

If you read this post, you probably know that anything to do with VTOL/STOVL has become my main point of interrest in FSdesign over the years. And I am the first to make the required changes (when reasonable and relevant of course) if I have more factual info then I have now. Untill then, I'll stick to my own speculations, unless someone has good arguments to speculate otherwise :)

Anyway, I'm glad most of you seem to appreciate in general what I have cooked up for this F35B STOVL behavior (keeping FSX limitations in mind). How (un-)realistic it is in some aspects: your guess is as good as mine :) Time will tell.

Best regards,

Rob Barendregt

Lionheart
August 22nd, 2012, 10:35
An awesome job, Rob!

I would like to do some VTOL models in the future and would love to work with you on your system being used in them.

That baby handles brilliant!

Bill

Stickshaker
August 22nd, 2012, 13:20
I am the one Rob is referring to, and from what I remember from the LM cockpit demonstrator Rob did an excellent job indeed. If Dutch speakers amongst you are interested: I wrote an article about my sim trip for a Dutch aviation magazine and I can send you a pdf if you PM me and give me your e-mail address.

rcbarend
August 22nd, 2012, 15:27
I am the one Rob is referring to, and from what I remember from the LM cockpit demonstrator Rob did an excellent job indeed. If Dutch speakers amongst you are interested: I wrote an article about my sim trip for a Dutch aviation magazine and I can send you a pdf if you PM me and give me your e-mail address.

Hi Hans,

Of course you are the guy I was referring to :)
Just didn't know if you objected that I made it public or not ...
You obviously don't ... :)

Cheers, Rob

Sundog
August 22nd, 2012, 17:08
Just an FYI, what I posted was just something I had been curious about for some time and wasn't able to find the answer to, so i was happy about that. I love the way the F-35B works in FSX and have used Robs previous releases for hours on end. The funny thing is, I thought I would spend more time flying the F-35C than any of the other models, but I find myself flying them all about equally. Thanks for all of your work making VSTOL tech for FS Rob. :)

VaporZ
August 23rd, 2012, 04:36
Here is the basic color scheme and codings of the Dutch KLU F-35A.

Dutch KLU National roundel in 4 shades of grey !
Future squadron markings on fin will certainly be treated the same way !

Any top gun repainter interested in doing it ?
Thanks in advance !
:mixedsmi:
VaporZ

Lionheart
August 23rd, 2012, 05:05
I didnt know the Dutch had purchased some of the F35's. Nice!

That thing would look SOOOO cool without rudders.

VaporZ
August 23rd, 2012, 05:23
I didnt know the Dutch had purchased some of the F35's. Nice!
That thing would look SOOOO cool without rudders.

Yes and no !

Dutch government had to buy F-001 as a test aircraft by contract to be part of the F-35 club !

but

The population of Netherland that will elect a brand new coalition government next
september 12, want to scrap the F-35 dutch deal to be replaced by an European solution.
( Eurofighter Typhoon or Rafale or Gripen NG )

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/awx_07_05_2012_p0-473999.xml

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-not-alone-in-rethinking-f-35-purchase/article4098668/

Next news about it will be the results of the Dutch elections by september 13 !
VaporZ

rcbarend
August 23rd, 2012, 08:14
Yes and no !

The population of Netherland that will elect a brand new coalition government next
september 12, want to scrap the F-35 dutch deal to be replaced by an European solution.
( Eurofighter Typhoon or Rafale or Gripen NG )

VaporZ
Hi VaporZ,

I don't know if you are Dutch or have Dutch roots/Dutch relations, but since I'm Dutch and very interrested obviously :) ........

Yes, there is an upcoming election, and Yes, the F35 deal is much debated.
But your statement that "the population of Netherlands want to scrap the F35 in favor of a European solution" makes no sense.

Frankly, 90% of Dutch people have no real opinion whatsoever on the successor of the F16's.
The only thing we see, is that the developments cost (and final price) of the F35 are getting completely out-of-hand.

The only reason we are in this deal:
1. The lobby of our military.
2. The promisses of econonomic "counter orders" (sorry, don't know the right expression), which was very appealing to a lot of politicians.

The discussion is not, whether to buy the F35 or a European solution, but whether to make that decision now while the F35 is still in development and the F16's (and upgrades) are still doing their job.
Or put differently: do you spend hugh amounts of money in a "development money pit" or buy aircraft off-the-shelf ?
That's how I see the issue :)

Regards, Rob

Sundog
August 23rd, 2012, 17:32
The promisses of econonomic "counter orders" (sorry, don't know the right expression), which was very appealing to a lot of politicians.

We call them economic offsets. If you buy so many of "X" from us, we promise to build so much of "Y" in your country.

Dino Cattaneo
August 24th, 2012, 00:30
Guys,

I have done the Dutch repaint yesterday - I will release it soon.

Dino Cattaneo
August 24th, 2012, 01:07
Ok, I've just released it on my blog before enjoying a day at the beach...

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.it/2012/08/f-35-koninklijke-luchtmacht-repaint.html

Ferry_vO
August 24th, 2012, 02:20
Thanks Dino!

Ferry_vO
August 24th, 2012, 02:50
OK..... Just dowloaded both the repaint and update for the C model from mediafire and got hit with a virus or phising program!

It looked like it came from the police (Apart from the horrible Dutch.. Not even our police is stupid enough to write like that!), said I had illegal pornographic material on my computer and unless I paid a hundred euros fine through some obscure Spanish program I could go to jail etc etc!

Ridiculous! All my pornographic material is strictly legal! :icon_lol:

My computer was locked, all I could do was reboot in safe mode and run my AV software from there... Seems to be gone now but I'm going to do a few more scans just to be sure..

Dino Cattaneo
August 24th, 2012, 04:13
@FerryVO

I'm sorry to hear that. I always verify my files with my Antivirus (AVG) and I've recently checked all of them.
Are you sure it is in my files and it is not something from Mediafire?
Could you please check the file with AVAST and let me know?

OK..... Just dowloaded both the repaint and update for the C model from mediafire and got hit with a virus or phising program!

It looked like it came from the police (Apart from the horrible Dutch.. Not even our police is stupid enough to write like that!), said I had illegal pornographic material on my computer and unless I paid a hundred euros fine through some obscure Spanish program I could go to jail etc etc!

Ridiculous! All my pornographic material is strictly legal! :icon_lol:

My computer was locked, all I could do was reboot in safe mode and run my AV software from there... Seems to be gone now but I'm going to do a few more scans just to be sure..

Ferry_vO
August 24th, 2012, 04:29
Dino, it started before the downloads were even finished so I'm quite sure it came though Mediafire. Should have been more clear about that.

Just in case anyone else gets hit: have a look at the 'ukash' virus at google.

Dino Cattaneo
August 24th, 2012, 04:50
Dino, it started before the downloads were even finished so I'm quite sure it came though Mediafire. Should have been more clear about that.

Just in case anyone else gets hit: have a look at the 'ukash' virus at google.

Thanks.
In the meantime I have created a post on my blog to notify other users. I have also downloaded AVAST and checked both my system and my files and they seem OK.

cortomalteseit
August 24th, 2012, 07:27
I've checked with Microsoft Security Essential and no problems with it! Thanks for the repaint!

skulleader
August 24th, 2012, 08:26
Hello Dino,

I've downloaded your last files and everything is OK, I use avast! Internet Security and no problem.
Bye, Skulleader.

Lionheart
August 24th, 2012, 11:48
Guys,

I have done the Dutch repaint yesterday - I will release it soon.

Nice! Thank you Sir!

Gdavis101
August 24th, 2012, 11:51
No problems here with the file.

JIMJAM
August 24th, 2012, 14:55
I gotta admit I am very jaded with the A2a and simular high end graphics addons and initially ignored this one. The screenies reminded me of a old FS9 Firefox I think it was, that comical early CRT glass cockpit look.

Well with all the buzz and my recent discouragment with the Harriers still inability to hover with any decent believabilty, I took a $20 gamble and bought the F-35.

And after a few flights, I also gotta admit...... This is fun :pop4:

Now that I have added a good soundset, in my case from a Vulcan of all planes, the experience is complete. Like many have said its a believable stol/vtol thats easily controllable and precise. No robotic jerks or stiff movements. I am also getting all around smooth fps including the low hover and touchdown.

So for those sitting on the fence, if a modern jet with very unusual flight abilities slightly amuses you, you will enjoy this F-35.

kingleo75
August 24th, 2012, 15:29
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but when I switch to hover mode, my airspeed increases to about 434 knots and the aircraft handles like I'm in conventional flight. My fuel load and payload are almost to zero and the nozzle is at +90 degrees. Is there some sort of trick? Bought this yesterday and have been trying ever since.

Dino Cattaneo
August 24th, 2012, 15:41
@All

Thanks for your appreciation and for reporting your findings. I checked the files several times with different antivirus files, and I believe the files are OK (and I still fail to grasp how a virus could make its way in non-executable files).

Anyway, I have decided to pack all the latest fixes, including paintkit, in an official update that is being uploaded to SimMarket as I write. Version number is 2.05 and file size is much bigger due to the additional textures, including the uncompressed paintkit.

@JIMJAM

Too bad that screenshots have not convinced you early... I believed it is decent rendition of the real F-35 also graphically :-) !

@kingleo75

Does the green "copyright" message appears when you load the F-35B? If it does not, please check the manual.

rcbarend
August 24th, 2012, 15:44
I gotta admit I am very jaded with the A2a and simular high end graphics addons and initially ignored this one. The screenies reminded me of a old FS9 Firefox I think it was, that comical early CRT glass cockpit look.

Well with all the buzz and my recent discouragment with the Harriers still inability to hover with any decent believabilty, I took a $20 gamble and bought the F-35.

And after a few flights, I also gotta admit...... This is fun :pop4:

Now that I have added a good soundset, in my case from a Vulcan of all planes, the experience is complete. Like many have said its a believable stol/vtol thats easily controllable and precise. No robotic jerks or stiff movements. I am also getting all around smooth fps including the low hover and touchdown.

So for those sitting on the fence, if a modern jet with very unusual flight abilities slightly amuses you, you will enjoy this F-35.

I hope this also convinced you that a believeable VTOL function (although, I admit, always WILL have SOME limitations) IS possible in FSX.
ALSO for Harriers. But that's a bit off-topic in this thread.

Regards, Rob

rcbarend
August 24th, 2012, 15:48
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but when I switch to hover mode, my airspeed increases to about 434 knots and the aircraft handles like I'm in conventional flight. My fuel load and payload are almost to zero and the nozzle is at +90 degrees. Is there some sort of trick? Bought this yesterday and have been trying ever since.
Please note the remark in the manual about the necessity of the "visual C++ Runtime library"
I'm 99.99% sure this solves the problem you describe ..

Regards, Rob

JIMJAM
August 24th, 2012, 15:54
Only had time for a few quick flights but do have one question.

How do you engage the AP without having to open the popup? A see lots a buttons, I can watch cable tv and found the coffee maker but no AP on/off. Somebody make me feel dumb and point it out will ya.

Also those white rings on the map triggered a flashback from the 80s. Think I read something in the maanual about them but right now I am still hallucinating.

peter12213
August 24th, 2012, 16:12
Its the Hover gauge, read the manual you need to see the green Licence bar run above your screen saying you have a registered copy of the VTOL gauge by ROB and DINO. You need to conpletely uninstall and then reinstall the aircraft as I had the same problem, only after I downloaded the free "gauge thing" software required and then reinstalled did I have full VTOL capability, but like nothing you've ever flown before it's poetry in motion!

rcbarend
August 24th, 2012, 16:28
Its the Hover gauge, read the manual you need to see the green Licence bar run above your screen saying you have a registered copy of the VTOL gauge by ROB and DINO. You need to conpletely uninstall and then reinstall the aircraft as I had the same problem, only after I downloaded the free "gauge thing" software required and then reinstalled did I have full VTOL capability, but like nothing you've ever flown before it's poetry in motion!
To be more presice: this has nothing to do with "registration" of whatever ....
There is no need download or register any "gauge thing" other then what's in the package; the only thing you need to have installed on your PC (XP, Vista, W7 .... 32 or 64 bit) is the free "Visual C++ Runtime Library"; as described in the Manual.
Which is a very commonly used, and free, runtime library from Microsoft, for applications developped in Visual C++.
That's all :)

Regards, Rob

kingleo75
August 24th, 2012, 16:45
Please note the remark in the manual about the necessity of the "visual C++ Runtime library"
I'm 99.99% sure this solves the problem you describe ..

Regards, Rob

I had downloaded and ran the install for the C++ before I even started, don't know if the green license came on the screen as I have REX which puts a green bar on the screen as well. I did a full un-install and re-install and everything seems to be working now, don't know what happened before but thanks for all the input.

rcbarend
August 24th, 2012, 17:01
I had downloaded and ran the install for the C++ before I even started, don't know if the green license came on the screen as I have REX which puts a green bar on the screen as well. I did a full un-install and re-install and everything seems to be working now, don't know what happened before but thanks for all the input.
Hi,

I'm fairly sure solving the problem has nothing to do with REX, or a un-install / re-install of the F35 package; but with not re-booting your PC after installation of the C++ runtime library.
But again, I can't be sure.
Main thing is you have it solved, no matter if it's by one or the other. Whatever works :)

Best, Rob

Lionheart
August 25th, 2012, 01:15
Only had time for a few quick flights but do have one question.

How do you engage the AP without having to open the popup? A see lots a buttons, I can watch cable tv and found the coffee maker but no AP on/off. Somebody make me feel dumb and point it out will ya.

If you mouse over the 'auto pilot' font on the gauge, you can see that its a toggle zone. Remember, its a TTF screen, touch sensitive, like a gigantic iPad. Tap the zones on the glass to activate systems.

Lionheart
August 25th, 2012, 01:16

I have the green bar appear, VTOL and STOVL still work fine. Oddly, that never showed in 1.3 in Prepar3D. 1.4 shows it now, everything is working fine. (in Prepar3D that is... )

Lionheart
August 25th, 2012, 01:24
Found this earlier tonight, looking up airspeeds.

JIMJAM
August 25th, 2012, 05:34
Yeah I figured the AP out last night. I now have it mapped into my stick. The heading hld button is way to small to be looking for while in such a critical part of the flight so I mapped it. Btw if I found a great vid on YT showing a test pilot flying the F-35 simulator pointing out the hud/cockpit features and actually demoing stol/vtol and a bombing run. I do not know SOH linking policy so let me know if you cannot find it.

I understand there is a 2.05 that was loaded to Simmarket last night. I have been checking and its showing a F35.......202. So if anyone sees the new update give us a shout.

whitney17
September 10th, 2012, 11:33
Hi Dino,

I bought the F-35 a few days ago and love it. It's fast becoming my default aircraft.

However, I have a couple suggestions. First of all, for those of us who don't fly by the numbers, would it be possible to give us the option to "Hover" without having to dump fuel to get the plane down to 42,000 pounds. It's a bummer to run out of gas while having so much fun. Can we get it to hover with "unlimited fuel".

Also, it's almost impossible to see the aircraft symbol on the Terr. page of the PMD. Can you change the outline of the symbol to something other than white. Colorizing the Territory screen would even be better.

Thanks,

Joe