PDA

View Full Version : Ah Yeah!

jmig
August 15th, 2012, 15:54
I just got a phone call from Columbus AFB. I am scheduled for a T-6 simulator flight next week. I can hardly wait to see a real simulator and fly it.

The rest of this week and weekend will be flying the Iris T-6. I don't want to look like an old dufuss. At least no more than I actually am.

:icon30:

Ickie
August 15th, 2012, 16:03
the Texan is a wonderful airplane

Barfly
August 15th, 2012, 17:48
Awesome! I know a bunch of guys out there... give us a good report when you get back!

G

rdaniell
August 16th, 2012, 04:42
That will indeed be a real treat. Something that you will remember for a long time. I had the opportunity back in 1998 to spend an hour in the F-16 simulator down at Moody AFB, Georgia. I was given a certificate making me a member of the "Hooded Falcon."

RD

cheezyflier
August 16th, 2012, 12:48
the Texan is a wonderful airplane

i agree, but all these loony canucks keep calling it a harvard. :isadizzy:

jmig
August 16th, 2012, 16:21
i agree, but all these loony canucks keep calling it a harvard. :isadizzy:

Ok guys, just so we are all on the same page. This is the Texan II. The 1100 HP Tubo primary flight trainer that replaced the old T-37. This is NOT your Grandfather's trainer, my being the Grandfather. :)

The reason I am getting this flight and possibly one in the Navy's T-6B glass cockpit simulator in Pensacola, FL, is something called the Virtual Flight Academy. The VFA is out of San Diego, CA and is working with the Navy and Air Force to do some very basic flight introduction training using FSX/Prepare cockpits via team flying over the internet. I have been asked to work with Air Force Academy cadets who are slated to go to pilot training. As I understand it, I will be doing cockpit familiarization training in the T-6 with the cadets. The sim flight(s) is/are my reward/bribe/ training to work with the cadets.

The guy who heads up the VFA has gotten the Air Force/Navy to sponsor flight simulators at several high schools. They will do introduction to flying training in the same way I will be working with the Academy cadets. All in all, it sounds to me like a very worthwhile activity. My name was given to the VFA by another SOH member. I thank him.

Trans_23
August 17th, 2012, 05:29
Maybe you can talk them into a flight in the real thing. I was TDY at Columbus back in the mid to late 90's. We removed a tower in England and put it up at Columbus then moved their existing ASR (airport surveillance radar) tower to extend the height and range. First time I ever had catfish for dinner. When in Rome.....:icon_lol:

Man, was it cold that day!!