PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam Huey for sale on Craigslist.

Trans_23
August 15th, 2012, 10:19
Found this story while paging through a copy of the "Marine Corps Times" at my American Legion Post last night.

For sale: painstakingly restored Vietnam War (http://www.baltimoresun.com/topic/unrest-conflicts-war/wars-interventions/vietnam-war-%281955-1975%29-EVHST000189.topic)-era Marine helicopter. Records missing, but mounts, gun replicas and rocket pods included. The blades spin, but the 1965 UH-1E Huey gunship is not flyable.

To view, visit Cevon McLean's backyard in Lothian.

"Everyone said, 'Why'd you buy that?'" McLean said. "Well, because I could."

Last month, McLean posted the "pinnacle" of his collection onCraigslist (http://www.baltimoresun.com/topic/services-shopping/craigslist-inc.-ORCRP00000010598.topic) for $175,000. So far, a man has offered to trade him a Learjet for McLean's piece of military history. But, as McLean's family has discussed, a Learjet's just not practical.

Full story and video here (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-ar-vietnam-helicopter-for-sale-20120721,0,4684080.story?page=1).

Does someone have $175K I can borrow? :cool:

gradyhappyg
August 15th, 2012, 20:39
Ha I will trade him even, a not drivable 1988 truck for his not flyable 1965 helo.
The trailer hitch,lights,horn and radio work and the wheels even turn, I even have all the records.
Plus the truck is easier to move around so you can mow the yard.

pfflyers
August 16th, 2012, 08:34
At first glance you might think someone would by it to retore it to flyable status or buy it for parts for you own flyable Huey, but without the maintenance records the status of life-limited parts could not be verified. That means you could not use any of those parts in your flyable helicopter, and you would have to replace the entire drivetrain to make this one flyable. I can't see anyone giving him $175K for it unless they got money to burn.

I can't help but wonder what the story on the Learjet is?

Trans_23
August 17th, 2012, 05:12
A few years ago the American Legion Post that I am a member of wanted to acquire a Huey for display on our property. At the time they were hard to come by so we found a M60 A-3 Patton Series tank from a post in Louisiana that was closing. I love having the tank but a Huey would have been the cat's meow. I would have volunteered my time to keep the inside dust free if they let me play in it for a while. The tank's hatch has been welded shut per Army requirements (they still own it) so no playing in there. :icon_lol:
Here is a picture of the tank (a my girls) a few days after in was put on the pad. The hatch was still chained shut and a couple buddies of mine got lucky enough to climb in an look around before it was closed permanently.

cheezyflier
August 17th, 2012, 05:53
the tank at the vfw club where i grew up had a tank. we used to crawl under and go inside by way of the hatch underneath.

rdaniell
August 17th, 2012, 07:23
For any of you that would like to get a ride in a Huey, there is a way to obtain one. The Vietnam Helicopter Pilots' Association tours various airshows during the year offering rides. The ride only cost $ 50.00 back in 2008. They were down at Sun and Fun. They were also at the Vidalia Onion Festival Air Show in Vidalia, Georgia, the same year.

RD

pfflyers
August 17th, 2012, 08:29
When I made my earlier post I had thought that old run out Hueys would be a dime a dozen at boneyards everywhere. Trans_23's post forces me to question that assumption. Makes me wonder what happened to all of them. In any event $170K still seems steep for a lawn ornament. I'm sure a lot of American Legion and VFW posts would like something like that as well as many other sorts of museums. Don't know how many would be able to raise that kinda cash.

pilottj
August 17th, 2012, 12:05
For the same price you can get an airworthy UH-1E from Controller :mixedsmi::icon29:

http://www.controller.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=7&Manu=BELL&Mdltxt=UH-1E&mdlx=exact&setype=1

Cheers
TJ

n4gix
August 17th, 2012, 12:13
For the same price you can get an airworthy UH-1E from Controller :mixedsmi::icon29:

http://www.controller.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=7&Manu=BELL&Mdltxt=UH-1E&mdlx=exact&setype=1

Cheers
TJ

If you read the full description, it's very far from being "airworthy!" :mix-smi:

In fact, it's the very SAME UH-1E that's the topic of this thread...

<TBODY>
Year </STRONG>

Manufacturer </STRONG>

BELL

Model </STRONG>

UH-1E

Price </STRONG>

$175,000 <SELECT style="VISIBILITY: visible" id=cboCurrencyCode><OPTION value=AED>AED</OPTION><OPTION value=ARS>ARS</OPTION><OPTION value=AUD>AUD</OPTION><OPTION value=BGN>BGN</OPTION><OPTION value=BOB>BOB</OPTION><OPTION value=BRL>BRL</OPTION><OPTION value=BZD>BZD</OPTION><OPTION value=CAD>CAD</OPTION><OPTION value=CHF>CHF</OPTION><OPTION value=CLP>CLP</OPTION><OPTION value=CNY>CNY</OPTION><OPTION value=COP>COP</OPTION><OPTION value=CRC>CRC</OPTION><OPTION value=CZK>CZK</OPTION><OPTION value=DKK>DKK</OPTION><OPTION value=EEK>EEK</OPTION><OPTION value=EGP>EGP</OPTION><OPTION value=EUR>EUR</OPTION><OPTION value=GBP>GBP</OPTION><OPTION value=GTQ>GTQ</OPTION><OPTION value=HKD>HKD</OPTION><OPTION value=HNL>HNL</OPTION><OPTION value=HRK>HRK</OPTION><OPTION value=HUF>HUF</OPTION><OPTION value=IDR>IDR</OPTION><OPTION value=INR>INR</OPTION><OPTION value=JOD>JOD</OPTION><OPTION value=JPY>JPY</OPTION><OPTION value=KRW>KRW</OPTION><OPTION value=LBP>LBP</OPTION><OPTION value=LKR>LKR</OPTION><OPTION value=LTL>LTL</OPTION><OPTION value=LVL>LVL</OPTION><OPTION value=MXN>MXN</OPTION><OPTION value=MYR>MYR</OPTION><OPTION value=NIO>NIO</OPTION><OPTION value=NOK>NOK</OPTION><OPTION value=NZD>NZD</OPTION><OPTION value=PAB>PAB</OPTION><OPTION value=PEN>PEN</OPTION><OPTION value=PLN>PLN</OPTION><OPTION value=PYG>PYG</OPTION><OPTION value=RON>RON</OPTION><OPTION value=RSD>RSD</OPTION><OPTION value=RUB>RUB</OPTION><OPTION value=SAR>SAR</OPTION><OPTION value=SEK>SEK</OPTION><OPTION value=SGD>SGD</OPTION><OPTION value=THB>THB</OPTION><OPTION value=TRY>TRY</OPTION><OPTION value=TWD>TWD</OPTION><OPTION value=UAH>UAH</OPTION><OPTION selected value=USD>USD</OPTION><OPTION value=UYU>UYU</OPTION><OPTION value=VEB>VEB</OPTION><OPTION value=VEF>VEF</OPTION><OPTION value=ZAR>ZAR</OPTION></SELECT>

Location </STRONG>

Lothian, Maryland

Condition </STRONG>

Used

Registration Number </STRONG>

N121FC

Total Time </STRONG>

6200 Hours

Number Of Seats </STRONG>

</TBODY>

pilottj
August 17th, 2012, 12:47
lol, yeah, guess I should have read the whole thing. Well lets see, for another 10K you can get this OH-58A :icon_lol:

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/BELL-OH-58A/1974-BELL-OH-58A/1249969.htm?

Allen
August 17th, 2012, 18:48
A few years ago the American Legion Post that I am a member of wanted to acquire a Huey for display on our property. At the time they were hard to come by so we found a M60 A-3 Patton Series tank from a post in Louisiana that was closing. I love having the tank but a Huey would have been the cat's meow. I would have volunteered my time to keep the inside dust free if they let me play in it for a while. The tank's hatch has been welded shut per Army requirements (they still own it) so no playing in there. :icon_lol:
Here is a picture of the tank (a my girls) a few days after in was put on the pad. The hatch was still chained shut and a couple buddies of mine got lucky enough to climb in an look around before it was closed permanently.

http://www.recycled-parts.com/Curbside-Centers-/Metal-/Bronze-/New-smith-portable-welding-cutting-torch-kit-tl-550-photo.jpg

Really now?

Trollface.jpg