PDA

View Full Version : Two skydivers drop in at King's Bay Naval Base.

rdaniell
August 14th, 2012, 11:08
Saw this on my homepage just now. I don't know how to put a link up here but, you can check it out on King's Bay Facebook page.

RD

SSI01
August 14th, 2012, 15:12
The local ABC affiliate here reports this happened on Sunday; there were two skydivers; one had documentation on him indicating he was an alien (NFI); the other had no documentation of any kind on him - not even a DL; they were supposed to have come down near a high-security area of the base; they had apparently mistaken baseball diamonds on the submarine base for property on the St Mary's Airport, nearby - at least that's the story they gave to Navy authorities. They were released shortly thereafter.

TeaSea
August 14th, 2012, 16:32
Interesting given that the airspace over King's Bay is restricted. St. Mary's airport is indeed just out of the airspace so it is certainly plausible that these guys got mis-oriented. There are several baseball diamonds in St. Mary's near the airport and on King's Bay. I used to play golf on King's Bay for a while when my wife was up there TDY. I also fly past it pretty regularly.

demorier
August 15th, 2012, 00:57
Lucky it wasn't duck hunting season.