PDA

View Full Version : FSX BSoD

brettt777
August 14th, 2012, 05:48
For the last week or so, my FSX has been crashing to the dreaded BSoD when loading certain planes. I have ALOT of planes in my hangar and most of them are okay but maybe 10 or 12 of them, maybe more, make the system crash to BSoD. Anyone know what may be causing this? Why would most of them work but some won't? I looked through the folders and compared file sizes with a fresh install on some of them and saw nothing different. Some of them I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled and that cured the problem for that plane. But I have one (so far), A2A WoP3 P-47, that just won't work anymore. I have removed it two or three times and completely reinstalled it but it crashes every time. It will come up in the kiosk where you view the plane and it rotates, etc. Then it will load maybe half way and the video will suddenly go crazy for a split second and then BSoD. All my other sims work okay. It appears that FSX is the only program affected.
I had to download a number of programs for work a couple weeks ago and apparently downloaded a few other spyware, malware and virus issues as well. I got rid of all that and the machine runs fine, except for these issues with certain planes in FSX. I wouldn't mind too much if I just had to reinstall the planes with the problem. But that doesn't work for all of them. So anyone got any ideas or maybe have had this problem before, or do I just need to suck it up and spend the next few days reinstalling FSX and all my planes?

jetstreamsky
August 14th, 2012, 05:52
If a certain set of aircraft fail, then I'd suggest looking for common elements between them like gauges, one of which may have been corrupted, however as you specify the A2A P-47, I doubt that has common gauge with anything else.

GrinningJester
August 14th, 2012, 13:41
For the last week or so, my FSX has been crashing to the dreaded BSoD when loading certain planes. I have ALOT of planes in my hangar and most of them are okay but maybe 10 or 12 of them, maybe more, make the system crash to BSoD. Anyone know what may be causing this? Why would most of them work but some won't? I looked through the folders and compared file sizes with a fresh install on some of them and saw nothing different. Some of them I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled and that cured the problem for that plane. But I have one (so far), A2A WoP3 P-47, that just won't work anymore. I have removed it two or three times and completely reinstalled it but it crashes every time. It will come up in the kiosk where you view the plane and it rotates, etc. Then it will load maybe half way and the video will suddenly go crazy for a split second and then BSoD. All my other sims work okay. It appears that FSX is the only program affected.
I had to download a number of programs for work a couple weeks ago and apparently downloaded a few other spyware, malware and virus issues as well. I got rid of all that and the machine runs fine, except for these issues with certain planes in FSX. I wouldn't mind too much if I just had to reinstall the planes with the problem. But that doesn't work for all of them. So anyone got any ideas or maybe have had this problem before, or do I just need to suck it up and spend the next few days reinstalling FSX and all my planes?

Heya,

Can you give us the BSoD crash code?
What immediately comes to mind is primarily bad memory and/or an HDD that is circling the drain (or has corrupt sectors).

Thanks,
Nick

ZEUS67
August 14th, 2012, 20:36
BSoD is more likely due to a physical problem as opposed to a logical one. In other words, your HDD may be corrupt and when FSX tries to access those areas Windows crash.
You can check this by opening a Command Window and type: chkdsk <drive where="" fsx="" is="" installed="">(drive letter where fsx is installed):
It will run in read-only mode so no repairs will be attempted, but it will tell you if there is a problem with damaged sectors.
To fix errors type: chkdsk <drive letter=""></drive></drive>(drive letter where fsx is installed)<drive where="" fsx="" is="" installed=""><drive letter="">: /R It will take a long time, depending on disk size. Budget a couple of hours for a 250 to 500 Gbytes HDD. 4 hours to larger ones. That is if the problem is just a couple of damaged sectors, if there is a more serious problem, it will take as much as 8 hours and then the only solution will be to replace the disk.</drive></drive>

brettt777
August 18th, 2012, 08:08
Well, I figured out that the issue is in the gauges folder. I remove it from FSX and all the planes work, or at least they don't crash. Even my beloved A2A Jug. Obviously not everything will work with alot of the gauge files gone. But that's where the problem is. Now how to narrow it down... http://205.252.250.26/yabbfiles24/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

ZEUS67
August 18th, 2012, 08:37
Well, I figured out that the issue is in the gauges folder. I remove it from FSX and all the planes work, or at least they don't crash. Even my beloved A2A Jug. Obviously not everything will work with alot of the gauge files gone. But that's where the problem is. Now how to narrow it down... http://205.252.250.26/yabbfiles24/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

If it is the entire gauges folder, then you have a corrupt hard disk. Fix it or you can lose more than just fsx.

EMatheson
August 18th, 2012, 10:14
More likely than not it's a corrupted .dll or .gau that isn't being loaded in the same context for every plane. I've seen it happen with scenery before - a file becomes corrupted in a manner such that it does not play nice in its previous context. Ill weed through bgls and find they work ok alone, but for some reason THIS BGL no longer works in the presence of THAT BGL. It's frustrating and the only cure is usually a reinstall of the entire FS program.

brettt777
August 19th, 2012, 21:00
Okay so here's what I did all day today (after church of course). Through the process of elimination, I figured out that my culprit is a file in the gauges directory called "wop3_p47sound.dll". Whenever that file is in place, my system crashes to a BSoD as soon as my A2A WoP3 P-47 starts to load, or any of about a dozen other planes form my hangar; Just Flight F4F, Iris F-20, Virtavia F4D just to name a few. Yet the majority of the planes in my hangar aren't affected. If I remove that file, every one of my planes works fine. I even took another copy of the P-47 install off my other PC I use for a backup and got a copy of that file and put it in the gauges directory. This was an uncorrupted, unmodified version (the Accusim 1.11 hotfix apparently modifies this file), and I still got the BSoD. I can kind of see why it would affect the P-47 since this file is apparently an A2A exclusive file, but why all the other planes? And, the only thing I noticed that didn't work when the file was not in place was the centrifical starter switch, and possibly the O2 system in the P-47. Any thoughts comments, questions, snide remarks?