PDA

View Full Version : Think someone needs to wake up?

aeromed202
August 13th, 2012, 09:03
This is part of a story about an innocent guy that showed the billion dollar dike has holes, like any average person knew already. When will those puffed shirts realize they need some real free thinkers in their ranks? Should read '...strolls through...'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jet Skier Breaks Through JFK Airport's $100 Million Security SystemA man whose jet ski failed him in New York's Jamaica Bay swam to John F. Kennedy airport, where he was easily able to penetrate the airport $100 million, state-of-the art security system. Daniel Casillo, 31, was able to swim up to and enter the airport grounds on Friday night, past an intricate system of motion sensors and closed-circuit cameras designed to to safeguard against terrorists, authorities said. "I think he should be given dinner and a bottle of champagne for showing us our faults," said Nicholas Casale, an NYPD veteran and former MTA deputy security director for counterterrorism.Instead, Casillo was arrested after the incredible adventure that has stunned security officials

Sascha66
August 13th, 2012, 10:02
Sore losers! Why was the guy arrested? I understand he was swimming for his life - was he supposed to keep on swimming until he found a public beach?:isadizzy:

SSI01
August 13th, 2012, 10:47
When working in a very well-known US govt law enforcement agency prior to retirement, in its "combating terrorism division," I would postulate unorthodox challenges to security systems; these were low-tech means to penetrate very high-tech security systems, "state of the art" stuff. The usual reposte was that I saw too many James Bond films. That's why in retirement I'm learning about health care and changing career tracks altogether.

Government service is no place for a free thinker - it's only a source of endless frustration to anyone who is.

aeromed202
August 13th, 2012, 12:31
Well you certainly have a point there, but I try to fight the good fight when I can. I'm just glad the press found this guy before he was buried by those who'd rather flame the messenger.

Toastmaker
August 13th, 2012, 14:39
I don't think his case will be prosecuted. Clearly, there was no intent to commit a crime. Although lack of "intent" is not an affirmative defense at trial, it is seriously considered during the indictment process.

He will :running:.

srgalahad
August 13th, 2012, 14:54
I agree with the title, but not the sentiment. Yes, he may be "poor little 'everyman' but he also got his just rewards:
************************************************** ************************************
"Daniel Casillo, 31, was able to swim up to and enter the airport grounds on Friday night..."

So, first of all, this is "under the cover of darkness"?

"Casillo's night began innocently(???) enough, as he and some friends were racing on jet skis in Jamaica Bay near JFK airport when his watercraft stalled. After calling for and receiving no help, he managed to swim towards the only thing he could see, the runway lights at JFK. "

Did he have the required signalling device(s)? a light -even on his PFD -at night? any sort of safety plan with his (sober?) buddies? There was no risk of being run down by a supertanker, No indication his multi-$k jet ski was sinking under him so he was safe (albeit lonely) and considering what follows, his health is good and he is mostly uninjured.

"Once he made it to land, Casillo climbed an eight-foot barbed-wire perimeter fence and walked undetected through the airport's Perimeter Intrusion Detection System and across two runways into Delta's terminal 3. "

So the signs that probably provide a warning in at least two, and likely three languages didn't tip him off to the risks (legal and otherwise) of climbing into one of the busiest airports in the world? No thought of following the fence? No... just saunter across 150ft-wide runways heading like a moth to the bright lights... If he hadn't been challenged by the Delta employee, would he have kept going and caught a cab at the Arrivals Exit?

Considering that, at many locations, the roving patrols which seem absent at JFK would have mowed him down in a hail of automatic weapon fire, he's dang lucky to not be an instant recipient of a Darwin Award. Sadly there is no charge for "criminal stupidity" which seems to have been his MO throughout this episode so the best we can hope is that women will read about him and determine he's not good breeding material.

OK, so the fancy security system failed. Like any automated system will be sufficient on it's own? Do people think that even in a paranoid world all breaches can be prevented or that we can rule out dumb, stupid and bad minds from sneaking in? Beef up the patrols, be aware of the additional risks and tweak the system, but expect the 'next D. Casillo' at any time and stop making it out like a national crisis (the tone of the article was "poor Daniel, stupid Port Authority")

SSI01
August 13th, 2012, 17:09
This guy apparently did all this while under the influence, and alone. Wonder what would happen with a raft of maybe 12 determined bad guys who were stone cold sober, and highly motivated?

Having sat in on the planning and briefing sessions for things like this (security systems and programs), held by their advocates, the predominant memory is of the absolute confidence the briefers (and their patrons at HQ) had in the integrity of their system; anyone who dared to question the "party line," whether or not this thing could be tricked or bypassed, or whether there were gaping vulnerabilities, was immediately dismissed as an alarmist or, again, someone who watched too many movies. I'll bet a month's pay right now there's someone at the PANYNJ, or whoever administers JFK airport, who had pointed this possibility out a long time ago but was shamed or shouted down at one of these meetings for pointing this weakness out.

It's true you can't stop everyone - but you CAN red-cell this thing and try to find every possible vulnerability in the system, and deal with them, before the bad guys do. The idea is to make getting through layers of the security system so time- and labor-consuming the bad guys go somewhere else rather than stick around and try to defeat the various layers of your system - like maybe, before the sun comes up? This fellow found what appears to be a whopping gap in the system - and, as I pointed out above, he did it in the dark, under the influence, and alone.

cheezyflier
August 14th, 2012, 12:28
I agree with the title, but not the sentiment. Yes, he may be "poor little 'everyman' but he also got his just rewards:
************************************************** ************************************
"Daniel Casillo, 31, was able to swim up to and enter the airport grounds on Friday night..."

So, first of all, this is "under the cover of darkness"?

who cares what time it was? darkness and time of day should not be a factor. it wouldn't stop any other proffesional. it's not an excuse, and betrays your opinion right away

"Casillo's night began innocently(???) enough, as he and some friends were racing on jet skis in Jamaica Bay near JFK airport when his watercraft stalled. After calling for and receiving no help, he managed to swim towards the only thing he could see, the runway lights at JFK. "

with your use of the bracketed question marks and underlining, one might get the impression you feel that someone enjoying themselves on a public waterway is anything but innocent. how dare he perpetrate such insidious behavior! of course the article does not talk about any steps he may /may not have taken towards safety on the water. it's not germane to the story.

Did he have the required signalling device(s)? a light -even on his PFD -at night? any sort of safety plan with his (sober?) buddies? There was no risk of being run down by a supertanker, No indication his multi-$k jet ski was sinking under him so he was safe (albeit lonely) and considering what follows, his health is good and he is mostly uninjured.

"Once he made it to land, Casillo climbed an eight-foot barbed-wire perimeter fence and walked undetected through the airport's Perimeter Intrusion Detection System and across two runways into Delta's terminal 3. "

So the signs that probably provide a warning in at least two, and likely three languages didn't tip him off to the risks (legal and otherwise) of climbing into one of the busiest airports in the world? No thought of following the fence? No... just saunter across 150ft-wide runways heading like a moth to the bright lights... If he hadn't been challenged by the Delta employee, would he have kept going and caught a cab at the Arrivals Exit?

who can say that he wouldn't have called a cab and went home? is there any real evidence that he had bad intent, other than ignoring the signs and climbing the fence?

Considering that, at many locations, the roving patrols which seem absent at JFK would have mowed him down in a hail of automatic weapon fire, he's dang lucky to not be an instant recipient of a Darwin Award. Sadly there is no charge for "criminal stupidity" which seems to have been his MO throughout this episode so the best we can hope is that women will read about him and determine he's not good breeding material.

OK, so the fancy security system failed. Like any automated system will be sufficient on it's own? Do people think that even in a paranoid world all breaches can be prevented or that we can rule out dumb, stupid and bad minds from sneaking in? Beef up the patrols, be aware of the additional risks and tweak the system, but expect the 'next D. Casillo' at any time and stop making it out like a national crisis (the tone of the article was "poor Daniel, stupid Port Authority")

roving patrols would have mowed him down in a hail of automatic weapons fire? seriously? a guy with no obvious weapons, tools or burden of some kind? without any questions? that's someone's idea of security? what would they learn by killing him? intel gets flushed down the toilet. that's not what proffesionals do. it's what thugs do. and movie actors. so if it's not security, then what it is?
and yeah, the system not only failed but did so in an alarming fashion. THAT is the point.
the reality of life in this case really is "stupid port authority". casillo might be the guy who exploited the breach, but that doesn't let the port authority off the hook. they should be ashamed and embarrassed at their incompetence.

Gdavis101
August 16th, 2012, 13:31
I love how it always "stuns" security officials when someone gets past their systems..