PDA

View Full Version : F-14D Tomcat remake - WIP

Dino Cattaneo
August 12th, 2012, 05:56
70660 70661

Here are two screenshots of the F-14D remake I am working on. There is a lot of work to do... but it looks very promising IMHO.
The project scope is a full remake of my existing Tomcat, much like I did last year for the Goshawk.
If I have time I will also build a RIO cockpit.

Warhawk1130
August 12th, 2012, 06:42
Looks great!

jamminjames
August 12th, 2012, 06:47
OUTSTANDING!!!! Can't wait....

rgatkinson
August 12th, 2012, 07:01
WOW!

Looking forward to the day this gets released http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif

Thanks!

Taff

IanHenry
August 12th, 2012, 08:14
Really looking forward to this Dino.

Regards,
Ian.

flewpastu
August 12th, 2012, 08:22
Dino, take your time and PLEASE give us a RIO pit.

Bill

Roadburner440
August 12th, 2012, 08:26
All I can say Dino is wow! The F-14 at least lives on virtually.

Victory103
August 12th, 2012, 13:19
Great work so far Dino, long time user of both FS9 and now FSX models. This one looks "on", as there is something with the length with the current version I can't place my finger on, but continue to fly her around the boat. Long live the Turkey!

YoYo
August 12th, 2012, 14:19
Amazing work! Good work Dino! :applause:

TARPSBird
August 12th, 2012, 14:29
Absolutely beautiful work Dino! :salute: F-14's (and F-8's) Forever!!!

Dino Cattaneo
August 12th, 2012, 14:42
Thanks for the appreciation! But don't hold your breath... it will take months to get to the Beta stage...

Ian Warren
August 12th, 2012, 15:24
Thanks for the appreciation! But don't hold your breath... it will take months to get to the Beta stage...

Months here seem to go by like hours these days:running: It would be interesting having a RIO , CORE BLIMEY ! could you imagine a shared aircraft/cockpit coming on aboard a carrier . :cool:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

MDIvey
August 16th, 2012, 03:12
I meant to ask Dino .... will existing repaints work with the new mesh?

Matt

Dino Cattaneo
August 16th, 2012, 08:33
I meant to ask Dino .... will existing repaints work with the new mesh?

Matt

@Matt -> No. The 3D model is almost completely new, and so are the textures and their layout - I know backward compatibility would have been great...but this was decided to have an overall better quality, and I believe the current results is already superior to the previous release.

Dino

Cirrus N210MS
August 16th, 2012, 09:43
will there be a back seat View?

MDIvey
August 16th, 2012, 12:04
Quite understandable Dino... dont worry

KR Matt

airattackimages
August 19th, 2012, 10:39
will there be a back seat View?
That's what he was talking about when he said RIO pit.

Dino Cattaneo
August 24th, 2012, 16:12

Above are some work in progress screens of the new external model - I still need to add some detail/texture to the tailhook and weapons pylons area, and possibly add some "open-able" maintenance doors....

stovall
August 24th, 2012, 16:14
Thanks Dino, I just reinstalled the last version into FSX after a lost HD. One of my favorite aircraft for sure. Looking forward to the new F-14D. Great work.:sheep:

Mr.Mugel
August 26th, 2012, 00:09
Looking forward to this one, the older one gave some great flights!

Dino Cattaneo
August 26th, 2012, 03:41

...some more WIP screenshots...

ZsoltB
August 26th, 2012, 04:01
When will be available?

Thank you!
Zsolt

Dino Cattaneo
August 26th, 2012, 04:09
@zsoltquack

I have no idea... I believe the external model will be completed within next week, but the virtual cockpit requires a lot of work...so we're probably talking about October/November for a Beta release.

By the way, I've seen your fine repaints on Iris F-14A and I really hope to see you at work on the F-14D!

PZL Belfegor
August 26th, 2012, 04:35
It looks great, thank you for your work! Could you please make the DLC animation separate from speedbrake in the remake? Even if the DLC would only be an animation (without changing lift or drag) due to FS limitations or coding difficulty, it would be neat addition for procedural purposes.

Milton Shupe
August 26th, 2012, 05:43
Dino, your modeling and mapping work is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

ZsoltB
August 26th, 2012, 06:08
@zsoltquack

I have no idea... I believe the external model will be completed within next week, but the virtual cockpit requires a lot of work...so we're probably talking about October/November for a Beta release.

By the way, I've seen your fine repaints on Iris F-14A and I really hope to see you at work on the F-14D!

Hello,

Thanks for the info!
F-14D Repainting?
Trust me......:salute:

Zsolt

Dino Cattaneo
August 26th, 2012, 10:14
@Milton Shupe

Thanks a lot, but, as I clearly stated on my blog and on a previous post, this new Tomcat starts from professional meshes I purchased on the Internet - although it true that final model is a completely different one, I could not reach this level of quality without that mesh.

By the way, Milton, I'd like to thank you for your work - which I immensely appreciated over the years. I've just finished a flight on the FSX port of the Grumman tracker and it is a really good plane.

@PZL Belfegor

DLC animation is still TBD. For the moment, spoilers animation are linked to the stick movement L/R independently on the flight regime.
By the way, at the moment, wing sweep is controlled by flaps command.
I'll try to steer away as much as possible from "special" animations as they sometimes create unexpected glitches in multiplayer.

@zsoltquack

Great. If it is OK for you and you have some time, I may want to send you the external model once it is ready...

Marine0326
August 26th, 2012, 11:09
I for one, can't wait for this bird to actually fly. Looking forward to the NEW F14D, Dino. Great work, as always.

BTW.... Need someone to do your Afterburners??? :mixedsmi:

Ardie / RD

gtirob01
August 26th, 2012, 12:41
Looking great Dino! Can't wait for this to be ready, but at the same time dont feel the need to rush it!

Any chance of making a clean version? no droptanks, missles, bombs?

PZL Belfegor
August 28th, 2012, 11:58
@PZL Belfegor

DLC animation is still TBD. For the moment, spoilers animation are linked to the stick movement L/R independently on the flight regime.
By the way, at the moment, wing sweep is controlled by flaps command.
I'll try to steer away as much as possible from "special" animations as they sometimes create unexpected glitches in multiplayer.

Hey Dino, thanks for reply! I forget about multiplayer compatibility (I should have thought about Goshawk's case of drooping wheel doors ;)) that could be issue - you are right, the animations are often handled bad, either repeting what is happening with owner aircraft on all ships, or non synchronising at all. What's worse, it happens even with default systems - for example, the hook position isn't transferred over the net. Good luck witch managing such complicated project!

Stefano Zibell
August 28th, 2012, 12:40
Dino, man, you absolutely rock. Here, take my beer: :icon29: