PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim (freeware) Catalina Visual Problem

PutPut
August 10th, 2012, 11:10
Tha Alphasim FS9 PBY-5 Catalina's have just been made freeware. I downloaded them and installed in FSX. The attached screen shot shows a problem I have never run into with a portover. It looks squished in the Y direction; in fact, you can see the demarcation line in the water. It looks like a 4:3 panel that has been stretched to 16:9. I've never seen it in an exterior view. It does it on all the variations and all the exterior views. Any ideas where I should start?:isadizzy::isadizzy:

Best, Paul

stiz
August 10th, 2012, 11:54
looks like it might be the fs9 panel issue .... cant remember the exact fix though :( .. theres an easy way to do it but for now you could just delete the 2d panel sections from the panel.cfg.

bruce448
August 10th, 2012, 11:59
Paul, Have you tried changing the y axis at the bottom of the panel.cfg to

[Default View]
X=0
Y=0
SIZE_X=8191
SIZE_Y=6143

and/or also this entry

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window00]
file=PBY_Pnl_early.BMP
size_mm=1024 //size_mm=1024, 786 deleted
position=7
visible=1
ident=MAIN_PANEL
sizeable=1
render_3d_window=1
window_size= 1.000, 1.000
window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

Bruce

PutPut
August 10th, 2012, 12:11
Thanks, Both of you. That did the trick. I was aware of the panel issue but having never seen an impact on the exterior views, it never occurred to me the panel .cfg would effect the exterior.

Thanks again, Paul:jump::jump:

Tako_Kichi
August 10th, 2012, 12:40
Does the glass show in external view when ported to FSX?

I seem to remember this was an issue pre or post FSX SP.1/2/Accel (I can't remember if the issue was before the patches or after).

PutPut
August 10th, 2012, 12:58
Does the glass show in external view when ported to FSX?

I seem to remember this was an issue pre or post FSX SP.1/2/Accel (I can't remember if the issue was before the patches or after).

Yes, the glass shows in the exterior views, albeit quite transparent. I am running Acceleration. The prop texture does not exhibit the usual portover problem either.

Best, Paul

peter12213
August 10th, 2012, 19:01
Will anyone else chip in and buy the Aerosoft model for this fine Gentleman? Paul Alphasim's cannot be used in this day and age, you must have the finest available .. Aersoft!

familton
August 10th, 2012, 19:35
Thanks, Both of you. That did the trick. I was aware of the panel issue but having never seen an impact on the exterior views, it never occurred to me the panel .cfg would effect the exterior.

Thanks again, Paul:jump::jump:

Look at the engine smoke system too. It is set to the FS9 coordinate system. I changed to the FSX coordinate system but it still was not right. I finally made it as shown below and it looks OK. It only works while holding the 'i" key. It does not stay on like a lot of other smoke effects. Regards, Bob.

[SMOKESYSTEM]
\\z,x,y
smoke.0=-12.0,-7.0, 8.0, fx_harrier
smoke.1=-12.0, 7.0, 8.0, fx_harrier

Firekitten
August 11th, 2012, 03:48
I hate the scorn shown sometimes to anything that isn't the latest and greatest payware... This is the newer alphasim fs9 model, and its actually alright! Its got a great vc, good flight dynamics, good sounds, nice exterior.... I'm surprised they released it free. I own both, and I certainly wouldn't kick the Alphasim.

As for the visual problem, quick fix... copy over the [window0] (before the gauges) info from the default 172, replacing the info from the cats panel.cfg. simples :D