PDA

View Full Version : FSX.CFG location?

Daveroo
August 10th, 2012, 09:02
i cant find it on my system..vista 32..for some reason i cant access application data even with user account turned off...help please?

bruce448
August 10th, 2012, 09:22
Dave, Copy this into your Start bar %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg and press return it should give you the location.

what you will find is that you do not have reveal hidden folders enabled in the folders option.

RobM
August 10th, 2012, 10:25
As Bruce448 said, you need to have your AppData folder showing in your <user Name=""> file (eg, like "DavePC"),the same place that where your Picture Folder, Dowbload Folder, etc, are.

The AppData file is normally hidden. To show this file, in both Vista and Win 7, the easiest pathway I've found is:

Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Folder Options -> Show Hidden Folders. Tick the Show Hidden Folders box.

The AppData folder should now be showing in your <user Name=""> <User Name>file.

The pathway to the fsx.cfg file is:

AppData -> Roaming -> Microsoft -> FSX -> fsx (the .cfg file).

Note there is a Text Document folder called "fsx.CFG" right next to the actual fsx.cfg file;
I think this just stores your default fsx.cfg settings, or maybe your previous fsx.cfg settings if you do any changes.

I might add that the fsx.cfg has a lot of settings and you could muck up your FSX install, although not permanently, if you don't know what you're doing (which certainly applies to me anyway). And everybody seems to have different suggestions for tweaking the .cfg file.

In the end, I just used Jesus Bote's downloadable tweaked fsx.cfg (you fill in the details for your particular PC), and found it offered useful and noticeable performance improvements on both my old and new machines, although not quite the night and day differences some people claim. I don't have the link immediately available, but it's somewhere here on SOH.

Hope that helps and that I've understood your question correctly

Thanks - Rob

PS: I don't think the GAC plays any role here, you can leave it on or off as you like. As I understand, it stops non-default background programs from running until you approve.</user></user>

Paul Domingue
August 10th, 2012, 17:15
I have had the same problem after installing Windows 7 Pro even though I have hidden files and folders displayed. I even tried using the backdoor Super Administrator and everytime it tells me I do not have rites to access those folders. The only way I can access the FSX.cfg is by typing the entire path in the explorer window. I found this trick on the web when I did a search and found I wasn't the only one with this problem.

greenie
August 10th, 2012, 17:57
After you have found it make a shortcut to desktop , makes life easier . Also , regarding tweeking the file - if you get into problems you can just delete it .FSX wil rebuild it on next startup . You know this I'm sure but it may help others

RobM
August 10th, 2012, 23:20
Sorry Daveroo, I really misunderstood your problem.

I don't know if you've tried this already, but the only thing I can suggest is to check the security settings for your User Name for that particular folder you can't get into, to see if you have full permissions to modify.

To do that if not known how, right click on the folder, then click on the properties bar, then click on the security tab, then click on your user name, and check to see if all the various boxes at the bottom of the page are ticked ("Full Control", "Modify", etc.). If not, then click on the Edit bar in the middle of the page, then click on your User Name, and see if you can tick the boxes.

I had to do this for my FSX folder to get a number of sims to run when I first started using FSX in Vista. But when I then ticked the boxes and clicked OK, the computer then started running through all the files in my FSX folder, and changing all their security settings to full permission as well. The result was very good in the end, but it did take awhile to run.

I don't know if that will also happen to all the files and folders in the AppData folder.

And if not already done so, maybe also check in the "Change Account Type" in the User Accounts folder to make sure you're running as Administrator and not as Standard User.

I don't know if any of that is useful or not. Sorry I can't be of more help. - Rob