PDA

View Full Version : FSX Native Vought SBU-1 Uploaded

PutPut
August 9th, 2012, 06:57
My new FSX native Vought SBU-1 is now available at simviation and flightsim.

This is the 3rd time around I have modeled this aircraft. It hasn't been particuarly popular with the vintage airplane crowd, but, it is popular with me. When I want to fly vintage carrier ops, I start with this model or my Boeing F4B. This is a completely new model that complies with the FSX Acceleration SDK. I have always felt the SBU-1 was one of the best looking airplanes of the fixed gear era. It was the first US Navy scout bomber to exceed 200 mph and the first to use cowl flaps to improve engine cooling. This model has the usual FSX animations including cowl flaps. The textures are DXT5.dds format and have a specular shine, I don't know how accurate the shine is on a mostly fabric covered airplane but it seems the planes of this era were kept shiny clean to prevent corrision. The sound is aliased to the Dehaviland Beaver since I have not found a good file for the R-1535 engine. If you know of one feel free to change it and then email me a link. The VC is based on real photo's. It has animated flight controls and the instruments are back lighted for night ops. I chose dark red for the back lights which was common practice to prevent night blindness. I added a dark red vc light effect as I felt the cockpit was really too dark. The effect is included in the download. There are 3 different liveries in the download, one each for service on the USS Lexington (CV-2) USS Saratoga (CV-3) and the USS Ranger (CV-4). The gauges are mostly default but I have combined them all into one .cab file for installation ease.

Best, Paul

Cag40Navy
August 9th, 2012, 09:58
Thank Paul, shes quite fun to fly!

Roger
August 9th, 2012, 12:29
Thanks Paul:ernae:

Pips
August 9th, 2012, 14:33
Beautiful job Paul. She is a real delight to fly; maintains great control at low speed. Just what you would expect from a carrier-based naval biplane.

PRB
August 9th, 2012, 15:42
Nice! Thanks Paul! Love these "between the wars" planes!

- Paul

robert41
August 9th, 2012, 15:55
Thanks Paul. Another happy vintage flyer.

lazarus
August 11th, 2012, 12:38
Very nice indeed! 70632