PDA

View Full Version : Want to Try CFS3

winslow33
December 31st, 2008, 08:04
Hello:wavey:

I've been flying CFS1 for quite a while now, but I want to try out CFS3. The problem is that I dont know if my computer will be good enough. Does anybody know the absolute minimum requirements I'd need to fly?
Thank you and happy new years.:friday:

IMS_Dakota
December 31st, 2008, 08:15
3 took a much faster machine than 1 did. If you have a fairly recent machine you should be ok though. Go here for a bunch of tweeks and more info:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/cfs3_kb.aspx

lightningbolt
December 31st, 2008, 08:33
Here is an old tweak page. It is quite detailed and hopefully will help.:kilroy:

http://www.com-central.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=118

Lightman
December 31st, 2008, 09:04
Hello:wavey:

I've been flying CFS1 for quite a while now, but I want to try out CFS3. The problem is that I dont know if my computer will be good enough. Does anybody know the absolute minimum requirements I'd need to fly?
Thank you and happy new years.:friday:

Here you go,I am reading it right off the box

Windows 2000/xp - 128 MB RAM
98/ME - 64MB RAM

processor 400MHZ

hard drive 900MB

video card 16 MB/3D

other / sound card with speakers or headphones. joystick or flight yoke

online/multiplayer requirements
Lan compliant for network play: 56.6 Kbps or better for internet play

Almost forgot CFS3 will not work with online (multiplayer) if you have VISTA as your OS

winslow33
December 31st, 2008, 09:39
Thanks guys. I'm going to go check it out now. I'm running an old Compaq Presario 500. I think I might have enough RAM if I'm lucky. The one thing is, I have no idea about my processor or even how to tell what mine is:isadizzy::redf:. Where can I find this out (I no longer have the documentation for the computer)?

Lightman
December 31st, 2008, 10:14
Thanks guys. I'm going to go check it out now. I'm running an old Compaq Presario 500. I think I might have enough RAM if I'm lucky. The one thing is, I have no idea about my processor or even how to tell what mine is:isadizzy::redf:. Where can I find this out (I no longer have the documentation for the computer)?

Click start

Click on control panel

Click on the icon that says system (or system properties)

By default you should be under the general info tab on most systems
if not click on the general info tab

Here you will see /What version of windows you are running
& Service pack number
Should list the name of your processor /CPU /GHZ/
And the amount of ram you have installed on your system

I run MS Windows XP Professional, This is how i access mine

Dangerousdave26
December 31st, 2008, 10:37
winslow33

Go to this site and http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php down load a little application called CPU-Z

Run it and it will tell you everthing about your CPU, memory and more on your PC.

:ernae:

hairyspin
December 31st, 2008, 11:20
I'm running an old Compaq Presario 500. I think I might have enough RAM if I'm lucky.

The only info I've found about the Presario 500 suggests it's a 486SX or DX processor. CFS3 would fall over and not get up again on one of these. :mad:

Sorry. Time for a replacement machine?

winslow33
December 31st, 2008, 13:56
Ya, I got that machine (used) a while back and it's gotten slower and slower by the day. RAM: 126 MB:isadizzy: I want to get a new machine, but being in high school, I dont really have the funds. My money from my weekend part time job is devided between expanding my HUGE CD collection and dates with my girlfriend. lol. Guess I'll be saving for a little bit...
Thanks guys.

Cameljockey
December 31st, 2008, 17:44
If it's a laptop it's here..http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPAQ-PRESARIO-500-MHZ-LAPTOP-W-WIN-2000-OPENOFFICE_W0QQitemZ360119763004QQcmdZViewItem

CJ

winslow33
December 31st, 2008, 18:05
I might be getting a Dell Inspiron 1501. My friend has one and claims it's not a bad laptop. He got it for $550 on sale last boxing day.
Happy New Years:friday::ernae:

Cameljockey
December 31st, 2008, 20:04
If you had the cash, here's a link to an Inspiron e1505 for $510 US. The specs are a little higher than the 1501.

CJ

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/laptop/m/34504691/skd=1/search=e1505%20laptop/st=product/sv=button/

Uriah
January 1st, 2009, 06:16
Thanks Dangerousdave for pointing out CPU-Z

winslow33
January 1st, 2009, 09:23
Thanks for the link... Sadly I dont have the funds to buy a new computer right now. Perhaps in a few months I can save a little bit up and get something that will do the job... 'Bout another $200 and I might be able to find something not too bad. I was going to try e-bay but several people have advised me against buying computers frim there. I guess they have a bit of a point....:isadizzy:

ndicki
January 1st, 2009, 09:30
Well, it will "run" on a P3 750MHz, that I know from experience - and it ran well enough for me to get hooked and buy a new PC! Hang in there, it's well worth it!

If you lived in France, I could try and get a cast-off P4 1.8GHz from work. I did say, "Try!"

winslow33
January 1st, 2009, 09:40
I live in Canada. Probably going to wait and get one at Future Shop next boxing day 'cause they put computers on sale very cheap. Meanwhile I'll continue working with CFS1 until then.:isadizzy: Thanks for the help guys.

Cameljockey
January 1st, 2009, 10:39
Thanks for the link... Sadly I dont have the funds to buy a new computer right now. Perhaps in a few months I can save a little bit up and get something that will do the job... 'Bout another $200 and I might be able to find something not too bad. I was going to try e-bay but several people have advised me against buying computers frim there. I guess they have a bit of a point....:isadizzy:

I wouldn't say that buying through Ebay is bad. I bought my Abit IN9 32X MAX mobo for $98.50 US from a seller called Ascendtech through Ebay. It came with everything that a new one comes with. You just have to check out the seller before buying to make sure they are a reputable seller.
If you were in the market for a desktop, you could build your own computer. It's not that difficult. A little over a year ago I knew nothing about what was inside a computer. The only thing I ever did to one was change a fan (and I plugged that into the wrong place). It took about a year to get everything together (saving takes time) but I put mine together for around $700 US. I'd buy a piece of hardware and put it away until I could get it all. These are the specs....

Apevia Black XCruiser Mid tower case
Antec EA650 650w PSU
Abit IN9 32X MAX 680i SLI WiFi motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz 1333fsb 6Mb L2 cache CPU
2x1Gb OCZ2P800R22GK Dual channel memory
EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768Mb 384bit GDDR3
Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE sound card
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb SATA Hard drive
Samsung SH-S223Q DVDR-RW drive with Lightscribe

The advantage to building over time is that you might find one item on sale at a certain time but not the rest. I caught my 8800GTX on sale for $129 US and put it away.
If you must have a laptop, I guess you could do the same thing, but the parts are more expensive.

CJ

hairyspin
January 1st, 2009, 11:17
If you were in the market for a desktop, you could build your own computer. It's not that difficult. ....... If you must have a laptop, I guess you could do the same thing, but the parts are more expensive.

CJ

A DIY desktop by all means, I may be doing the same shortly; but a DIY laptop? Didn't know that was possible?

ndicki
January 1st, 2009, 11:18
I know of a company that recycles ex-business comps - if you're short of cash but know roughly what you're looking at, it could be a way to look; they must exist in Canada too, I'm sure.

winslow33
January 1st, 2009, 11:49
Yeah, I guess I could think used and recycled. Where I live there is about 6 computer repair shops that recycle computer parts. One of them is where I got my old Compaq for $65. Could probably get some kind of gaming computer there....

winslow33
January 1st, 2009, 12:00
Actually, I just had a bit of an idea of my own... I could make my own computer VERY cheaply. I have my Compaq Presario 5000 and an HP Pavilion still running Windows 98 I never use. Could take stuff like the hard drive, case, diskette drive, CD drive, power supply, fans, and all that sh:censored:t and pack it into a new computer... Really all I'd need would be a new processor and more RAM if it will all be compatible i guess.

Cameljockey
January 1st, 2009, 13:58
If you're talking about mixing laptop and desktop components, that's a no go.
What model HP Pavilion are you talking about? I've got a Pavilion XL753 that I use in the kitchen that I've had since 2000 and if I want to upgrade it for some reason the only thing that I can use out of it is the case, CD burner, and floppy drive, the rest is pretty much useless by today's standards. The mobo doesn't even have an AGP slot, much less PCIe, and it uses PC100 memory. I've considered upgrading it. I've got a 2.8Ghz Pentiium IV, a GeForce 7600GS and some other parts in the closet that I need to put to use or get rid of. If you're interested in building a desktop, I've got some parts I'd let go of cheap! PM me if you're interested.

CJ

winslow33
January 2nd, 2009, 04:56
Sorry- I made a mistake in an earlier post. I dont have a Compaq Presario 500, i forgot a 0. It's a 5000. So it's a desktop. And I'm not sure what model my Pavilion is, it's packed in a box in the basement:icon_lol:. Although I DO have a lot of various expansion slots I bought last year I can use (USB 2.0, modem, etc)

Thanks for the offer, I'll think it over.