PDA

View Full Version : Invitation to all veterans here at the Outhouse.

rdaniell
August 7th, 2012, 08:00
Panther's thread about Danang got me to thinking about a photo thread. I think it would be interesting if veterans from all the different branches of service and countries represented here at the Outhouse would post a photo of their time in the military. I'll start by posting a photo of me as a 17 year old Airman Basic taken at Lackland AFB, Texas, in June of 1963.

RD

TARPSBird
August 7th, 2012, 08:26
Hey, this could be fun! Me in 1971, USS Midway cruise book photo.

n4gix
August 7th, 2012, 10:03
Demonstrating how to "stack arms" to a group of "Rats" (aka: Plebes) at Kentucky Military Institute, Lyndon, KY 1966 as a newly commissioned Cadet 2LT U.S. Army ROTC, while Cadet Company Commander and the other two cadet platoon leaders observe.

Fresh out of U.S. Army Signal School, Ft. Gordon, GA 1968, and ready to head off to OCS.

Willy
August 7th, 2012, 12:15
My ex destroyed all of my old pics. The only pic that I have left of me in uniform is on my Navy retired ID card.

Jagdflieger
August 7th, 2012, 13:58
Darn Willy. Those ex wives can sure be rough on a guy.

Most of my old photos went missing during a PCS (change of station) move in the mid 80s. Just got'a love those military contract movers. It's amazing that we have any usable furnature left. I've been a lot more careful from the mid-90s on when digital photography became the norm. It's a lot easier to store digits. Unfortunately, almost all of my VN and Central America photos are history, much like those campaigns.

I looked around and found the following photos on digits.

Jagdflieger
August 7th, 2012, 14:22
Oh yeah, one more from couple of weeks ago with my son at Fort Benning.

rdaniell
August 7th, 2012, 15:10
Oh yeah, one more from couple of weeks ago with my son at Fort Benning.

Was that photo taken at the conclusion of his jump training? I noticed the jump wings on his chest.

RD

rdaniell
August 7th, 2012, 15:13
Just for fun here's a photo of my foot. I was sitting on the ramp during a paratroop drop.

RD

TeaSea
August 7th, 2012, 15:42
Yes.....I had hair once.....sort of.....

Milton Shupe
August 7th, 2012, 16:33
Last day of basic training Ft. Jackson, SC;
Home before AIT at Ft. Monmouth, NJ;
Viet Nam August '67

Jagdflieger
August 7th, 2012, 16:54
Was that photo taken at the conclusion of his jump training? I noticed the jump wings on his chest.

RD

RD,

Yes, it was! The new paratrooper got real "blood wings" on Eubanks Field that day.

It was old home week for me at Fort Benning. Ran into three old comrades at the ceremony from days gone by and had a real gab fest catching up on all our airborne brothers in arms from over the years.

Great photos guys. A very enjoyable thread.

For all of you "Airborne" guys or anyone else for that matter, here's a great link to a day in the office for a Para in the US Army.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZPIGhL3bY

modelr
August 7th, 2012, 16:55
I was in the USAF Feb 1969- Feb-1973. Worked in munitions maintainance, (bomb dump.) My overseas assignment was Kadena AB, Okinawa, PACAF, 18 months. Everything the USAF TAC used in 'Nam went thru us, both in and out. I spent my first 12 months in the 20MM shed, inspecting and relinking the 20MM rounds that had been fed thru the M61A1 guns, but not fired, had to be inspected, sorted by lot#s, then relinked for the slower firing guns, usually on the Spads and Navy A-4s. My last six months were spent working with EOD section destroying out of date/damaged munitions. We had a big, very thick heater drum, like asphalt plants use, to blow smaller stuff, up to anti-tank mines.
the bigger stuff we would take out to a large area on the Marine base where we would bury it and blow with DET cord and squibs. (Blasting caps.)

The only pics I can find were from when I came home on leave after initial training at Lowery AFB in Denver, Colo., and a pic taken for our squadron yearbook at George AFB, 479th FMS, TAC. just before I went overseas. Don't have any in my fatigues, as we did not wear them when off duty, and cameras were not allowed in our work areas. That good looking woman in the second pic is my proud mom. I was 19 at the time.

PRB
August 7th, 2012, 17:00
Cool idea for a thread. I don't have very many pics of me, but I like these two. The fisrt is 1982 or 83, on the flight deck of USS Enterprise, when I was in VA-94. The second is 1991, on Nimitz, when I was in VFA-147. This was the "Tiger Cruise" from Hawaii to Bremerton, and that's my brother beside me.

Duckie
August 7th, 2012, 17:53
The only one I could find for the moment. Fort Lewis, July 1969 during first summer active duty training. 2nd flight in the OV-1.

If you were "ER" or "NG" you weren't issued NOMEX during training. Your home unit was responsible for that issue. AIT at Ft. Huachuca. AZ, Jan - Jun '70, same thing!

beana51
August 7th, 2012, 18:04
<tbody>

1954..22yrs old.....Ft. Bliss Texas.. was a .D.I. First 8 weeks basic...

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/IMG2.jpg

</tbody>

rdaniell
August 8th, 2012, 04:37
In order to keep this thread open for a little while longer, I'm posting another photo. This photo was taken at Moody AFB, Georgia, in 1967. The occasion was my being presented the Distinguished Flying Cross by the base commander.

RD

X_eidos2
August 8th, 2012, 05:10
These are two pictures from my last day in the Navy, 28 AUG 78. I was a QM2 on the USS Wabash AOR-5. I'm taking navigation bearings on the starboard bridge wing. It's a tradition to throw your cap over the side when it's your last time under the Golden Gate. If the cap floats into the harbor, it's your last time to sea. If the cap floats out to sea, you'll return to sea. I put a big bolt inside my cap and it sunk right away.

GypsyBaron
August 8th, 2012, 08:47
Here are a few pix from my archive of my days in the US Navy.
I went off to boot camp in July of 1959 and was discharged
in December of 1967. During that time I served aboard the
USS Dewey, DLG-14. Cmdr. Elmo Zumwalt was the skipper when
I reported aboard.

Later I attended ET'B' School for 52 weeks on Treasure Island
and after that I was an instructor at ET'C' School on T.I.

When my shore duty tour was up I volunteered for duty with
OASU, which later was re-named VX-8, out of Pax River,MD.

I did two 6-month TDY tours in VietNam, flying out of Tan Son Nhut
in 1966 and out of DaNang in 1967.

First pix of several:
My boot camp graduation photo
The Dewey
Me in dress blues somewhere in the world
Me preparing for a picture
Now I am ready...by 3" mount on the Dewey
Tossing '3 coins in the fountain'...Rome
Me on the beach in Cannes, France

GypsyBaron
August 8th, 2012, 09:05
Continuing with my pix, this time of my OASU/VX-8 period:

The 'Blue Eagles' sign outside out flight line 'shack' Tan Son Nhut
'444' 'Blue Eagle 2' The aircraft I crewed on the most of our 5 'Connies'
Me and '444' and those R-3350's
Me at my video controller station 'Tiny Tim' behind at the audio controls
At the video console during an afternoon pre-flight
'627' Blue Eagle 1 and crew - DaNang - I am front row - 4th from right...or left :)
My Dewey cap with various pins from my 8 1/2 years of service
The VX-8 patch

Willy
August 8th, 2012, 12:15
And here I was thinking I was the only "black shoe" here. Still haven't seen any more snipes.

Willy
ENC(SW), USN, (Ret.)

strikehawk
August 8th, 2012, 15:44
Here's a few aside from my avatar..

1 RIMPAC 96, Ford Island, Pearl Harbor. The AO's had to pick up some unexploded ammo that one of our AT's 'found' while swimming.
2 Team Spirit 88, Chinhe ROK, found a friend and her manager
3 & 4 Aug 98, HCS-5 armory and flight line, NAWS Pt Mugu, CA. Last day in the Navy.
5/6/7 My wedding Oct 2000, with my old CMC as best man, the Marine is one of my many cousins.

T Square
August 8th, 2012, 16:27
I don't have any older pics from back in 74, but these are pics from my last deployment To PSAB Saudi Arabia Sep to Nov 2000. Yes with all those stripes I was still a Certified Weapons Loader, I was driving an MJ1 or as the young bucks in the shop use to say "My Automated Wheel Chair". There are 2 other pics I added, people ask me why I joined the Air Force and I always tell them it was in my blood, well the guy settin' on the wing of the P-35 is my Uncle, and the other pic the guy in the middle with his hand up on his chin is my Dad. Both were Army Air Corps Veterans so I guess adding them would be ok.

rdaniell
August 8th, 2012, 16:55
Well, here's one more of me. I'm not really sure exactly where this was taken or what we were doing. Since I have my parachute on, I would guess that it was taken either just before or just after an air drop. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo but, it was taken long before digital photos.

T-Square, I joined the Air Force because my older brother had joined in 1957 and was still on active duty when I joined in 1963. He retired as a M/Sgt. in 1978.

RD

Navy Chief
August 8th, 2012, 18:11

NC

Motormouse
August 9th, 2012, 01:51
This is me, fresh faced newly appointed Airframe tech, Royal Air Force, 1980

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/motormouse/Scan_WJ565.jpg

Don't have many others, camera's were officially not permitted at work.

ttfn

Pete

rdaniell
August 9th, 2012, 03:48
OK. How many of you'll think that NavyChief has the best looking "stache?"

RD

Navy Chief
August 9th, 2012, 05:27
That was before it turned completely white, and I shaved it off, finally:)!

NC

rdaniell
August 9th, 2012, 15:17
Thanks to all who have participated in this thread. I enjoyed looking at all the photos. I decided to post one last picture. This one is only a couple years old. It is me in the uniform that I put on in mid-life after going to seminary. I retired from being an active pastor in June, 2010. Should any of the rest of you'll like to post a more current photo of yourself, I expect it would be fun to compare "back in the day" and present.

Peace+

RD

sbp
August 9th, 2012, 15:19
1. Bronze Star Award at Sheppard AFB (1976) 2. and 3. DaNang tower (1970-71). 4. Whiteman AFB tower (1972).....

sbp....

rdaniell
August 9th, 2012, 15:24
Hey sbp! I went through loadmaster's school at Sheppard back in 1964. I was at DaNang in 1965 and 1966. Also couldn't help but notice that in your photos your M/Sgt strips are a little different from today's Air Force. The first time I saw the current arrangement of stripes, I asked the person what the heck is your rank?

RD

sbp
August 10th, 2012, 08:16
Hi RD,

Congrat's on your DFC!

Ref the current USAF rank insigina, I retired in '77 and shortly thereafter AF Changed the "Top Three" insigina, I guess to better identify a "Top Three" individual. I agree it's hard to keep up with the rank
structure.

sbp

rdaniell
August 10th, 2012, 09:17
Hi RD, Congrat's on your DFC! Ref the current USAF rank insigina, I retired in '77 and shortly thereafter AF Changed the "Top Three" insigina, I guess to better identify a "Top Three" individual. I agree it's hard to keep up with the rank structure. sbp

Thank you. Speaking of rank structure in the U.S. Air Force, I was an Airman First Class (E4) when I completed my enlistment. My rank on my discharge at the conclusion of my remaining 2 year inactive reserve status is that of Sgt. (E4). An E4 in today's Air Force is a Senior Airman. Go figure...

BTW, you retired a year before my older brother. He retired as a M/Sgt.

RD

n4gix
August 10th, 2012, 11:42
Thanks to all who have participated in this thread. I enjoyed looking at all the photos. I decided to post one last picture. This one is only a couple years old. It is me in the uniform that I put on in mid-life after going to seminary. I retired from being an active pastor in June, 2010. Should any of the rest of you'll like to post a more current photo of yourself, I expect it would be fun to compare "back in the day" and present.

Peace+

RD
How interesting! We share something beyond FS then, as I too went through a mid-life career change... :icon_lol:

rdaniell
August 10th, 2012, 13:51
How interesting! We share something beyond FS then, as I too went through a mid-life career change... :icon_lol:

How very interesting, indeed! I wonder what the odds are on something like this. Two guys who are veterans, flight sim junkies who are members of the Outhouse, and became clergy in mid-life.

Peace+

RD

n4gix
August 10th, 2012, 14:27
How very interesting, indeed! I wonder what the odds are on something like this. Two guys who are veterans, flight sim junkies who are members of the Outhouse, and became clergy in mid-life.

If you are the least bit familiar with heraldry, you'll note some significant details in my arms...

...such as the black galero with two fiocchi (tassels) signifying me being a simple priest. Not legible in the reduced image used here, is my personal motto: Semper Modus Durissimus (Always the Hard Way). :icon_lol:

The shield & lions rampant are adapted from my familial arms: House Lemyng.

luckydog
August 10th, 2012, 14:37
me during basic training........

rdaniell
August 10th, 2012, 15:02
If you are the least bit familiar with heraldry, you'll note some significant details in my arms... ...such as the black galero with two fiocchi (tassels) signifying me being a simple priest. Not legible in the reduced image used here, is my personal motto: Semper Modus Durissimus (Always the Hard Way). :icon_lol: The shield & lions rampant are adapted from my familial arms: House Lemyng.

Ha! I can identify with that. My daddy used to tell me: "Well son, it looks like you're just going to have to learn it the hard way." There's no accounting for the number of times I've told my son the very same thing.

RD

rdaniell
August 10th, 2012, 15:04
Nice photo there luckydog. I must say that you appear to have really good jumping "form."

RD

Panther_99FS
August 10th, 2012, 18:41
Panther's thread about Danang got me to thinking about a photo thread. I think it would be interesting if veterans from all the different branches of service and countries represented here at the Outhouse would post a photo of their time in the military. I'll start by posting a photo of me as a 17 year old Airman Basic taken at Lackland AFB, Texas, in June of 1963.

RD

I should be thanking you for creating this thread :salute: :ernae:

Navy Chief
August 12th, 2012, 15:35
I bought a CPO Working Aviation Green uniform from another Chief, way back in 1992, and had it retailored.

Only wore it a couple times. I believe it is still a regulation uniform now, but most likely rarely worn....NC

TARPSBird
August 12th, 2012, 19:57
Never had a set of Aviation Greens but I was happy to be back in the airdale community for my last four years in the Navy and be able to wear brown shoes.

Jagdflieger
August 13th, 2012, 07:02
That's a sharp looking uniform. You Navy guys sure had a lot of uniforms to manage.

rdaniell
August 13th, 2012, 13:41
Hey Jagdflieger! Earlier, you posted that one of your photos was of your son the day he received his jump wings. You referred to them as "blood wings." I've been wondering if by that you were referring to the old tradition of how they were first attached to his chest.

RD

Jagdflieger
August 13th, 2012, 20:22
"Hey Jagdflieger! Earlier, you posted that one of your photos was of your son the day he received his jump wings. You referred to them as "blood wings." I've been wondering if by that you were referring to the old tradition of how they were first attached to his chest."

RD,

Yes, they were properly attached per airborne tradition, even though it is now a violation of the current hazing policy.

Hoo ahh!

rdaniell
August 13th, 2012, 22:28
"Yes, they were properly attached per airborne tradition."

Roger that...

RD

Jagdflieger
August 14th, 2012, 07:31
Here you go RD.

rdaniell
August 14th, 2012, 09:26
Here you go RD.

Sure looks like that young man's mother did a good job...LOL

RD

rdaniell
August 14th, 2012, 11:14
Jagdflieger, here's a photo just to show that you are not the only one who looks good wearing a beret....:icon_lol:
This was our "unofficial" BlindBat beret. Unfortunately for me, it got lost in one of my many moves over the past 40 years.

RD

jmig
August 15th, 2012, 18:06
I just saw this thread and love it. I am like others with old pictures getting lost while moving from here to yonder. Here are three that I still have.

The first is me in pilot training climbing in to the T-37. The second is me squatting on the F-4. The last is not in uniform but it is a picture taken of me in Thailand or Guam (I forget which) This picture is interesting because is shows me with the one and only mustache I ever attempted to grow.

rdaniell
August 16th, 2012, 04:52
Thanks jmig for keeping this thread alive. I'm sure that there are a lot of folks out there who for whatever reason have not taken a look at it. When I started it, I was hoping for participation from veterans from all the many countries represented here at the Outhouse. So far, there's been only one from any country other than the United States.

RD

HouseHobbit
August 16th, 2012, 07:03
Getting ready to do some Varmint hunting!

Jagdflieger
August 16th, 2012, 08:21
Still a GI, but I'm guessing the Househobbit is in Germany in the mid 1970s at the height of the Cold War. Must be an M-60 crewman by what look like a HEAT and a HESH round.

HouseHobbit
August 16th, 2012, 08:54
Still a GI, but I'm guessing the Househobbit is in Germany in the mid 1970s at the height of the Cold War. Must be an M-60 crewman by what look like a HEAT and a HESH round.

Grafenwohr, 1974..Was a gunner then, became a Tank commander before I got out, hated being a TC, loved being the gunner and shooting the M-60..
I was busted back to PFC then this was taken, the only PFC gunner in the division.. a few weeks later became a CPL again..
Couldn't keep a Hobbit down..LOL!

Our battalion commander called me a "Command" PFC as a joke the day this was taken..
My company commander wasn't impressed..

But once I Qualified the old M-60 Not a A1 but a old (11 years old) Round hull M-60
And several of the new M-60A1 stabs didn't qualify, Kind of made them look bad..
They again promoted me..

Also took a Sherman down range as the Gunner, had to Qualify Her too, The WW2 Sherman even did well in my hands..
My father sent me all the fields manuals on the Sherman so I could learn to shoot her..
He was on a Sherman when he was in, and saved the field manuals all those years when he got out..
Our battalion didn't have a set of manuals for "Lady Lionheart" and was very pleased when I got them..
The old Easy 8 Sherman he called them..

HouseHobbit
August 16th, 2012, 15:34

Peace+

RD

Make that Three..

ordained 92'
Fellowship Prison Ministry
Served in prisons for 5 years.. with this group of wonderful people..:applause:

rdaniell
August 16th, 2012, 16:44
Make that Three.. ordained 92' Fellowship Prison Ministry Served in prisons for 5 years.. with this group of wonderful people..:applause:

I'm familar with that ministry. One of my former BlindBat brothers was involved for many years.

RD

Victory103
August 16th, 2012, 18:36
Great thread going so far and I wanted to keep up with the older pics, but decided to post a very recent one, ie today. Last flight in the UH-60 Black Hawk as I close a chapter of my career and move on to another platform (C-12's/King Airs) next month. I've been with the H-60 series for 18 yrs both Navy and Army.

Jagdflieger
August 16th, 2012, 19:27
Is that Grey Army Airfield at West Fort Hood behind you Victory?

That C12 is a real Cadillac. Good luck with your transition.

rdaniell
August 17th, 2012, 04:25
Great thread going so far and I wanted to keep up with the older pics, but decided to post a very recent one, ie today. Last flight in the UH-60 Black Hawk as I close a chapter of my career and move on to another platform (C-12's/King Airs) next month. I've been with the H-60 series for 18 yrs both Navy and Army.

Best of luck in the transition Victory 103. A lot of us more senior fellows here at the Outhouse have had to do that several times.

RD

Victory103
August 17th, 2012, 06:44
Is that Grey Army Airfield at West Fort Hood behind you Victory?

That C12 is a real Cadillac. Good luck with your transition.

Thanks, that's actually Hood AAF, we finally have 1st Air Cav together vice being split between Hood and Robert Gray. 21st Cav with US/Dutch Apaches, Hueys (until this Saturday when the UH-72's take over permenantly) have now moved over to RGAAF along with the RC-12's of 15th MI and Regional Flight Center Hood with C-12's/UC-35's.

rdaniell
August 17th, 2012, 07:19
Thanks, that's actually Hood AAF, we finally have 1st Air Cav together vice being split between Hood and Robert Gray. 21st Cav with US/Dutch Apaches, Hueys (until this Saturday when the UH-72's take over permenantly) have now moved over to RGAAF along with the RC-12's of 15th MI and Regional Flight Center Hood with C-12's/UC-35's.

Just curious as to what is the major mission of the C-12? I'm thinking some kind of upper level officer transport. And perhaps some ambulutory patient transport.

I occasionaly see a C-12 doing practice approaches at Albany Airport(KABY) in Albany, Georgia, while flying a friend's Cessna 140 from there.

RD

Victory103
August 17th, 2012, 14:14
RD,
Most of the branches have them for exactly that, transporting the brass around. The Army uses the RC-12 version for super secret intel gathering (signal intel). I'll be flying versions made for counter-IED detection (heavier -300 series KA's). Many are on contracts to perform other "spook-like" surveillance.

rdaniell
August 17th, 2012, 14:29
RD,
Most of the branches have them for exactly that, transporting the brass around. The Army uses the RC-12 version for super secret intel gathering (signal intel). I'll be flying versions made for counter-IED detection (heavier -300 series KA's). Many are on contracts to perform other "spook-like" surveillance.

Well, you be extra careful. And from an old aviator, always remember that runway behind you, air above you, and fuel in the fuel truck are useless...

RD

TeaSea
August 17th, 2012, 15:17
Grafenwohr, 1974..Was a gunner then, became a Tank commander before I got out, hated being a TC, loved being the gunner and shooting the M-60..
I was busted back to PFC then this was taken, the only PFC gunner in the division.. a few weeks later became a CPL again..
Couldn't keep a Hobbit down..LOL!

Our battalion commander called me a "Command" PFC as a joke the day this was taken..
My company commander wasn't impressed..

Yo' Hobbit! I can't remember the number of the range but I've stood pretty close to that same spot if I'm seeing it correctly.....I've got a book on Graf around here somewhere and when I find it I'll verify.

I actually spent most of my time at Graf in the mid to late 80's in an FA unit based in Kitzingen (2/39th FA--"Keep up the Fire!"). We supported the 2d Bde, 3rd ID (Rock of the Marne!)...commanded at that time by Eric Shinseki....current head of the VA (not helping me with my claims at all).

CybrSlydr
August 17th, 2012, 15:22
Gotta say, this thread has been a joy to read. I absolutely love viewing photographs from years gone by - gives a lot of perspective. :)

Thanks for sharing, everyone! Keep 'em coming!!!

EDIT: Figured I'd drop a few photos to keep things going. :)

#1 - Since we had a few mustaches, I thought I'd upload one of me from March Mustache Madness in Afghanistan.
#2 - Me with my SAW behind our truck prior to mission on our COP. That's why I don't have the IOTV on.
#3 - Our Battalion Commander pinning me with my CAB.
#4 - Me with our Terp, Saif, after my first ever combat engagement (for which my CAB in the previous picture was awarded).
#5 - Taken by our Terp while I was pulling security on an IED site waiting for EOD to show up and take care of it.
#6 - Me during my AIT (I really need to get on losing that weight again... lol).

Jagdflieger
August 17th, 2012, 23:01
Good to see you again Cyber! I hope that your ankle has healed up and that you're back in the swing of things. Are you still in the Army?

All that airid landscape behind you made me dig up this shot. Here I am only 30 miles from the Sun.

CybrSlydr
August 18th, 2012, 05:08
Thanks Jagd. :)

Nope, ankle isn't healed up - well, it's as good as it's going to get, but the Army is done with me. I started Medboarding back in May. Waiting for my NarSum right now.

Never run again, no more jumping, high impact activities. I'm quite bummed as I'd decided if the Army wasn't career for me, Police was the next move - that's gone and I'm really at a loss as to what I'm going to do when the Army dumps me off. -sigh-

rdaniell
August 18th, 2012, 05:24
Thanks Jagd. :) Nope, ankle isn't healed up - well, it's as good as it's going to get, but the Army is done with me. I started Medboarding back in May. Waiting for my NarSum right now. Never run again, no more jumping, high impact activities. I'm quite bummed as I'd decided if the Army wasn't career for me, Police was the next move - that's gone and I'm really at a loss as to what I'm going to do when the Army dumps me off. -sigh-

Cyber, there are several of us here at the Outhouse who have experienced similar situations in our lives. Please know that you can always drop me a p.m. anytime. I expect that there are others here who feel the same.

My daddy used to always tell me: "You can't keep a good man down."

RD

CybrSlydr
August 18th, 2012, 12:03
Truly appreciate the support, RD. :)

PRB
August 18th, 2012, 12:23
Good luck Cyber. Truly sad to hear all this, but I suspect you will find a place to land. And a heart felt thanks for your service!

- Paul

Dangerousdave26
August 18th, 2012, 12:55
Sorry but you are going to have to except an interloper.

I was disqualified from joining the service in 88 but my youngest brother just retired from the Navy 2 years ago.

He is the one on the right. I am the FAT one on the left. :icon_lol:

This is from the Tiger Cruise in 09. This is the deck of CVN-71.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq63/Dangerousdave26/CVN71/TGCruise_2009245.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq63/Dangerousdave26/CVN71/TGCruise_2009063.jpg

Willy
August 18th, 2012, 17:37
Cyber, take at good look at the VA's Vocational Rehab program. They'll pay for up to 4 years of school (books and tuition), plus living expenses towards something you are physically capable of doing and want to do. I had trashed my knees by the end of my Navy career, was just lucky they let me ride out the last couple of years until I could retire. Ended up with a BS from Texas A&M courtesy of the VA on that program.

BurningBeard
August 19th, 2012, 05:28
Cyber,

I talked to the lady that is the Park Ranger at Lassen and she said the Park Service is developing some new programs aimed directly at you. She really encourages you to check them out, and is really up on the park service in general.

Beard

BurningBeard
August 19th, 2012, 05:32
This was taken at Phu Bai, South Vietnam in 1970.

Beard

jmig
August 19th, 2012, 07:13
This was taken at Phu Bai, South Vietnam in 1970.

Beard

So where's the beard? ;)

Ever noticed now just about all of us were so much thinner then? There must be a correlation there? Maybe, I can get a multimillion dollar grant from the government to study this observation?
Then I could publish a report that no one will read about what everyone already knows the answer. Oh life is good.

:)

rdaniell
August 19th, 2012, 11:48
So where's the beard? ;) Ever noticed now just about all of us were so much thinner then? There must be a correlation there? Maybe, I can get a multimillion dollar grant from the government to study this observation? Then I could publish a report that no one will read about what everyone already knows the answer. Oh life is good. :)

Thanks a bunch jmig for pointing that out. I've been in denial for the past several years. Now I guess I'll just have to face reality.

Just kidding of course. :icon_lol: It seems like in my life that I've gained about 10 additional pounds every ten years.

RD

Willy
August 19th, 2012, 17:26
Cyber, this afternoon I was talking to my son in law who is on the Voc Rehab program now. He said they'll even pay for you to get a commercial pilot's license if that's what you want to do.

rdaniell
August 21st, 2012, 11:46
me during basic training...

Luckydog, you didn't tell us that you were also a paratrooper...:icon_lol:

RD

HouseHobbit
August 21st, 2012, 16:32
Yo' Hobbit! I can't remember the number of the range but I've stood pretty close to that same spot if I'm seeing it correctly.....I've got a book on Graf around here somewhere and when I find it I'll verify.

I actually spent most of my time at Graf in the mid to late 80's in an FA unit based in Kitzingen (2/39th FA--"Keep up the Fire!"). We supported the 2d Bde, 3rd ID (Rock of the Marne!)...commanded at that time by Eric Shinseki....current head of the VA (not helping me with my claims at all).

Too Cool!!
Range 80 Graf..

I managed to do very well there, we had our own ranges at Baumholder where I was stationed, (The Rock) as it was known them..
Worst base in Europe was Baumholder..Had many folks over the years be surprised I survived The Rock..
they still were surprised that anyone could do years at The Rock and still be somewhat normal..
Not that Hobbits are ever completely normal..:icon_lol:

But I did enjoy the ranges at Graf..

luckydog
August 21st, 2012, 20:05
Luckydog, you didn't tell us that you were also a paratrooper...:icon_lol:

RD

You can bet your flea collar !!!

I've trotted out of a few C-119s ( Ft. Benning) and C-130s at Bragg and elsewhere......

AIRBORNE !!!!!!

LD

PS.........who told on me ?? Was it Jag ?? (we've got a few things in common)

SSI01
August 22nd, 2012, 03:37
Here's a few aside from my avatar..

1 RIMPAC 96, Ford Island, Pearl Harbor. The AO's had to pick up some unexploded ammo that one of our AT's 'found' while swimming.
2 Team Spirit 88, Chinhe ROK, found a friend and her manager
3 & 4 Aug 98, HCS-5 armory and flight line, NAWS Pt Mugu, CA. Last day in the Navy.
5/6/7 My wedding Oct 2000, with my old CMC as best man, the Marine is one of my many cousins.

I was there for RIMPAC '96 with my agency and think I recall that incident with the "found" ordnance, we were notified in the office about it; in fact, if memory serves I handled that matter for my agency.
I was USAF January 1973 - December 1976 but no snaps, sorry!

rdaniell
August 22nd, 2012, 04:04
You can bet your flea collar !!!

I've trotted out of a few C-119s ( Ft. Benning) and C-130s at Bragg and elsewhere......

AIRBORNE !!!!!!

LD

PS.........who told on me ?? Was it Jag ?? (we've got a few things in common)

OH! Fort Bragg and C-130s. I got qualified as a paratroop drop loadmaster on C-130E models at Fort Bragg back in 1964. :cost1: I was assigned to the 76th ATS, Charleston Air Force Base, Charleston, S.C., just out of loadmaster school.
Now as to who told on you, I can't remember...:pop4:

RD

SgtT
August 23rd, 2012, 02:11
I'm an Army brat and grew up in the military. My dad was drafted for Vietnam and stayed and did 20yrs and retired in 1983. I joined the AF in 84 and retired in 2005. One of the coolest things was when my dad and I were comparing our blue (retiree) ID cards. I'm an Army civilian now it's funny how things have come full circle. I feel fortunate that I can still continue to serve.

T.

TeaSea
August 23rd, 2012, 14:29
Well, I retired from the Army, and I'm an Air Force civilian now. I think it's their way of getting revenge.

Hobbitt....the range has a new designation now, but it's still essentially the tank table. Well, now it probably has another designation entirely since I was there. I recognize it because of the hills in the background. For such a busy training area, Graf was really small, but it was one of the few places big guns could shoot in Europe. We could shoot in Wildflicken, but not maneuver. At Graf you could shoot and manever...hell, you could do "hip shoots" (fire missions on the move, where the battery has to stop, position, fire, and depart before the rounds impact). You can do those things at most U.S. installations.

You'll like this....I drove all the way to Baumholder from Wurzburg to buy a Harley. Ended up not doing so because the guy had modified it to the point it was no longer recognizable (it had started as a Softail Standard). He loved it. No one else did.

HouseHobbit
August 23rd, 2012, 14:40
Well, I retired from the Army, and I'm an Air Force civilian now. I think it's their way of getting revenge.

Hobbitt....the range has a new designation now, but it's still essentially the tank table. Well, now it probably has another designation entirely since I was there. I recognize it because of the hills in the background. For such a busy training area, Graf was really small, but it was one of the few places big guns could shoot in Europe. We could shoot in Wildflicken, but not maneuver. At Graf you could shoot and manever...hell, you could do "hip shoots" (fire missions on the move, where the battery has to stop, position, fire, and depart before the rounds impact). You can do those things at most U.S. installations.

You'll like this....I drove all the way to Baumholder from Wurzburg to buy a Harley. Ended up not doing so because the guy had modified it to the point it was no longer recognizable (it had started as a Softail Standard). He loved it. No one else did.

WOW that is too cool..
I am surprised that we have this in common..

I once rode my Harley from Hamburg to Baumholder(1975) in the dead of winter, one frozen hobbit before I made it back..had to stop every 30 minutes or so to warm up and then take off again..
Wildflicken, was a close place to shoot at..Couldn't do the move and shoot that I enjoyed the most there..
I also used the ranges at Baumholder..But I did enjoy Graf best of all..

Loved Shooting the M-60, hated it when they made me a Tank commander just before I was discharged..
Much rather shoot the main gun then be a Tank commander (boring)..
Grateful that we have this to share..

God Bless you..

n4gix
August 24th, 2012, 09:09
..the guy had modified it to the point it was no longer recognizable (it had started as a Softail Standard). He loved it. No one else did.
Oh, he turned it into a Hardly Davidson... Ugh! :icon_eek:

TeaSea
August 24th, 2012, 16:16
Let's just say that it was a child only a mother would love.

He was an MP. While I was looking over the bike there was a unit firing on the local range (Mortars I think). Every time rounds impacted, the overpressure made all the car alarms in the housing area go off. They would beep for a minute until they were slowly silenced by their owners.

This apparently was an everyday occurrence. It startled me....I noticed no one else paid it any mind at all.

Hobbit, you gotta be hard to ride in Germany after October. That's where I started riding and all I remember is thinking my d**k had frozen off....since my fingers had already frozen and dropped off a few exits ago I didn't think it would matter.

Of course, I remember thinking the same thing in Graf riding down the tank trail in an open jeep....

Motormouse
September 4th, 2012, 01:40

That's me, nearest the rear 'pit; squinting like mad 'cos I should've put my specs back on!!

At an airbase in UK @ 1988-ish; the plane needs no introduction!!

ttfn

Pete