PDA

View Full Version : Captain Sim 757 VC problems

jimjones
December 31st, 2008, 07:05
Having difficulty with Captain Sim 751 autopilot, a/p console, HDI and HSI displays.

I start with the FSX CRJ700 jet on the ground, engines running.
All vc crt displays ok.

Switch to the 751.

The vc ADI and HSI displays show only sparce incomplete info.
Example:No attutude diplay in ADI.

No vertical speed numbers show in autopilot console.

Can't turn on autopilot via console.

Z key turns on autopilot but autopilot actions not working.
Such as heading and altitude hold.

z key again then gets warning sound and voice indication that autopilot is off.

Console disengage button does not get warning sound and voice indication after z key turns autopilot on.

Buttons on VC autopilot don't light up when pressed. Should they?

Either I'm missing an important action or there is an install problem
with a newly installed fsx 751.

Anyone having these problems or able to verify their csp751_4200.exe download is working ok?

Comments and recommendations, please.

I see that Captain Sim is taking a few days off (no customer support).
Jim

Nick C
December 31st, 2008, 07:08
I wonder if Ian can help, he looked deep into the systems for his review...

IanP
December 31st, 2008, 07:22
What happens if you press the CMD button on the panel, rather than pressing Z?

It's unlikely that I'll be in a position to fire up the B75 and take a look until tomorrow evening, unfortunately, but if you haven't found a solution by then, I'll see what I can do.

Ian P.

jimjones
December 31st, 2008, 07:48
Thanks Ian for responding.

Nothing happens when pressing any of the 3 CMD ( L C R) buttons. They don't light up either. I'll go back and try again, but it seems I've tried that in combo with other keys.

Jim

jimjones
December 31st, 2008, 08:07
Attached 2 pics, one of the sparce info in the adi and hsi screens. The second shows the blank vertical speed setting.

Also while flying the 757, I switched planes, set an alt hold, switched back to the 757, pressed z and the 757 held to that alt even tho the a/p alt setting on the 757 was different.

IanP
December 31st, 2008, 08:30
You haven't prepped the overhead properly - the IRU's (Inertial Reference System/Units) need to be set to "NAV" to get any life out of the autopilot or the displays. They'll take a minute or so to align, then you should get a lot more life.

They're up the top left of the overhead - three rotary switches with a rows of lights above them.

Ian P.

jimjones
December 31st, 2008, 08:55
Thanks Ian, I suspected there was some key element I was missing. Will give it a try later when I get back from church tonight.

Happy New Year.

This is such a great place, with great folks and great knowledge. You of course are part of that.

Jim

grunau_baby
December 31st, 2008, 09:36
Go to the overhead panel (shft 6) on the left top youŽll find the switches to turn on the ADI and HSI displays, I put two on on nav and the other on ATF, this also made the autopilot operable! I am too lazy to read any manuals, so I usually go for "trial and error" methods and made it work this way!:icon_lol:

Hope it helps!

Alex

Marlin
December 31st, 2008, 20:49
I am too lazy to read any manuals, so I usually go for "trial and error" methods and made it work this way!:icon_lol:

Hope it helps!

Alex

That is funny. I can usually get anything working without reading the manual unless it comes to the dreaded FMC. Then I'm afraid even after reading the manual I still can't get those things to work properly.:isadizzy:

Then without that thing set up properly, it's time to go back to a GA plane :costumes:

IanP
January 1st, 2009, 03:09
Do I have to do the same with you as I did with Nick and the Leonardo Mad-Dog? Sit in front of Skype and tell you exactly which buttons to press to make it work? :icon_lol:

Ian P.

Nick C
January 1st, 2009, 03:30
In my defence I have no interest in tubeliners and simply needed it turned on for the review pictures, why would I read a manual for that? I ain't writing the reviews :a1310: :costumes:

IanP
January 1st, 2009, 05:05
Hey, I didn't have to do it for the B75! :icon_lol:

Ian P.

jimjones
January 1st, 2009, 07:52
Setting those Inertial Reference System/Units knobs first to Align, then to NAV did awaken the HSI and ADI screens and allowed activation of the Autopilot via first (L) CMD button.

I'm getting a wild ride after turning on the A/P.

I began a new flight: select 751 plane, airport & runway and time.

While on the ground, set each of the 3 knobs to Align then Nav. HSI and ADI screens became active.

Plane heading at 345.

A/P heading set at 360 (0) and auto bank

A/P alt set at 10,000

A/P IAS set at 200

Set flaps, released brakes, full power.

Gear up at 1000', flaps up at 3000'

IAS showed about 150

At this point CMD was pressed and that light illuminated.

Also the V/S light was illuminated and the vertical speed was automatically set to +1600

The heading hold light also automatically turned on.

Shortly afterward (2 sec) the plane began to bank wildly back and forth, 1.5 notches on the ADI with a full cycle right to left and back every 4 sec or so. The yoke moves corresponding to the banking.

The plane continues to climb at about 150 knts and about 10,000 ft the V/S light goes off, the altitude hold light comes on, a light on the altimiter briefly comes on as the plane passes thru the 10,000 ft setting and the plane continues gaining altitude without abating.

I did not expect the wild bank gyration and expected the autopilot to hold the 10,000 ft alt.

Must press disengage A/P button to stop gyration.

Would appreciate a little more help. I've been thru the manuals but can't seem to grasp what might be wrong.

Ian, is your review available for anyone to read? Where?

Brett_Henderson
January 1st, 2009, 07:56
The thing I never enjoyed about flying the default "tubes", is that it was BORING and no challange at all. If you wanted to go about it realistically, aside form weather briefing and route planning.. and realistic loading..you had to "fake" needing any piloting skill. Except for landing of course. Getting even the default tubes from FL330 down to a gate (in a manner that wouldn't have the virtual FAA revoking you pilots license.. the Airline sending you maintanance bills.. and your virtual passengers swearing off air-travel forever) DOES take quite a bit of piloting.

ANYway.. what I really like about this model, is that if you start "cold-n-dark", you've got a neat little routine to go through. You can't just fire it up and go... and i really enjoy that. And even with the FMC handling the flying.. there is SO much about it to learn.. both in programming it, and using it en-route.. that even buzzing along on A/P you have plenty to keep you realistically busy. For the firt time ever.. I'm enjoying tube flying ..

:wiggle:

Brett_Henderson
January 1st, 2009, 08:05
jimjones... All I can tell you is what I did.. A lot of how the FMC handles the climb and such, is determined by how you program it. Load data, performance data.. route data.. and more. There are several screens and gobs of information to enter/confirm.

I ran FSX in windowed mode, so that I could have the manual up for reference.. and then went through it all (several times.. page by page), until it all started making sense. This bird just does not lend itself well to "seat of the pants" flying.

jimjones
January 1st, 2009, 08:27
jimjones... All I can tell you is what I did.. A lot of how the FMC handles the climb and such, is determined by how you program it. Load data, performance data.. route data.. and more. There are several screens and gobs of information to enter/confirm.

I ran FSX in windowed mode, so that I could have the manual up for reference.. and then went through it all (several times.. page by page), until it all started making sense. This bird just does not lend itself well to "seat of the pants" flying.

I'm used to the FSX default planes, so the b757 is quite an eye opener as to what a real pilot must do. I don't have enough years left to learn all that is needed and not enough incentive. I don't want to go thru entering the info for a full flight. Seems there should be a setup that would allow one to use the autopilot independant of FMC. I've not even looked at the FMC or know what it does. Oh well, I can fly without the autopilot but it sure would be more fun to use it in a mode not linked to the FMC. If there is a way do run autopilot independant of the FMC I sure would like to know. Perhaps my problems is that it is on and conflicts with the A/P settings.

I've also used FSX in windowed mode and the manuals in the background. There is a huge amount of info in the manuals and acronyms I never seen before. Unfortunately I've found no glossary in the manuals.

IanP
January 1st, 2009, 08:41
Only the VNAV and LNAV functions of the autopilot care at all about the FMS - all other modes are entirely independent and are controlled using the glareshield panel. Any airliner can be flown from after takeoff to a manual landing without touching the FMS at all.

If you can still download the manual for the LDS767 without buying it first (you could for a while before release, at least) then that is an identical flight management and autoflight system to the B757 and included a couple of good tutorials. You might want to have a look for it.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Brett_Henderson
January 1st, 2009, 08:43
I'll be honest.. I thought about going into the panel.cfg and "dissabling" the A/P and FMC... and then placing a default A/P in there (and prob will eventually). I agree.. it would be nice to fly this model as hassel-free as the default tubes (which sadly means I'd grow tired of it quickly)...

Mean time.. if you enter the bare minimum data.. you "can" fly it more simply, but the A/P functions differently than we're used to. I haven't done it enough to post data (I'm too busy learning the FMC.lol), but I have gotten it to hold altitude and airspeed. It will hold heading too, when you're trying to ignore the FMC..but not the dialed in heading. From what little I've learned.. you'll have to disengage the A/P, and make a manual turn to the new heading, and then re-engage it. A similar short-cut works for altitudes. Ignore the dialed in altitude and just enter a vertical speed (with the V/S button actice).. and then reduce V/S to zero when you want to level off.

I doubt that's how it's done for real. I guess that making the FMC so realistic takes its toll here.

ANYway... dont give up on total FMC use.. it is UTTERLY amazing, and makes even the cruise part of tube flying fun..

Brett_Henderson
January 1st, 2009, 08:47
Oh.. and Ian is probably correct. There probably is a way to get the A/P to function normally.. I just haven't figured it out yet.. It just seems like the FMC (FMS) doesn't like to let you use all the A/P functions without it being involved..lol

IanP
January 1st, 2009, 09:14
I would seriously recommend looking up or downloading a tutorial for either the PMDG B747-400 or LDS B767-300. The autoflight systems are pretty much identical on all three aircraft, so if you can understand one then it's just a case of reading the bits of the manual on how to control the actual buttons on the others.

Ian P.

jimjones
January 1st, 2009, 10:59
Yes, Ian, I need manuals that describe procedures better and tutorials would be very helpful. I'll look into those you mentioned.

Since I have neither vnav or lnav key button pushed and on and those indications don't show in the hsi or adi displays I should be able to fly auto pilot independant of the FMS as you indicated. But that being the case I still cannot lock to speed with autothrottle on, or an altitude. The gyration is completly mind boggling and very disrupting to any attemps to properly fly the plane. There seems to be no reason for it to be so dramatic in seeking a heading. The gyration occurs with the heading hold on or off.

wilycoyote4
January 1st, 2009, 11:07
http://www.leveldsim.com/sevensix_downloads.asp

Hopefully, this is a link to a useful manual of the LDS 767. Much to learn on the CS 757.

I think the CS forum has something to say about AP and the proper FSUIPC module. I'll check. Perhaps that issue has been solved and is no longer a factor.

IanP
January 1st, 2009, 11:24
Having the latest version of FSUIPC, available from http://www.schiratti.com/dowson is always a good idea.

Ian P.

Pepere
January 1st, 2009, 12:12
I ported the fs9 757 and works better than my just purchased 757 for fsx. Got excited during the sale and bought the fsx version :icon_lol:

David :kilroy:

wilycoyote4
January 1st, 2009, 12:35
http://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/pages/down/docs.html

Hopefully this link adds to the education of complex a/c systems.

jimjones
January 1st, 2009, 14:03
Thanks for the links to manuals, gents. You're help is much appreciated.

What really stands out in your responses is the need for fsuipc. I have not seen that as a requirement for cs757 in the specs. That very well could be the problem if it indeed is required. I've avoided using fsuipc, having read in the past some of the warnings and possible conflicts it may cause, all of which I've forgotten since its been years since reviewing them.

I've not yet used the cs forum, so that is my next place to visit to see about fsuipc.

wilycoyote4
January 1st, 2009, 14:24
I've not yet used the cs forum, so that is my next place to visit to see about fsuipc.

Please take note, I believe fsuipc 4.4 for FSX was part of the install of the 757 200 if I recall correctly. Check the CS 757 support forum.

Consult the CS support where you can get manuals to download and the forum where you can get great info and a tutorial thread on the 757 200 FMC ---- 757-200 FMC Tutorial (Read 2029 times) ------- and save it as a webpage or perhaps a pdf.

Steady on, we'll make progress, can't get it all done in a day, eh?

Pepere
January 1st, 2009, 17:17
They have the manuals for the 757 at CS. You have to log in and give your order number and some other crap but it will lead you to the down loads. Got my today but have not looked at em. Also the FSX 757 takes a bigger hit on FPS then the ported FS9 757. I thought it would be better but it's snot.:icon_lol:

David :kilroy:

IanP
January 1st, 2009, 22:57
The B757 manuals themselves are pretty good - the problem when I did the review (http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk/cs_757_review.htm) was the total lack of a tutorial. I didn't know one had been released, so hence my pointing at places that did! ;)

Logging in to CS is "your order number and e-mail address" if I remember correctly from downloading the C130 manuals a few nights back. Hardly difficult! Finding things once you are in is a little more awkward - you have to click on the order number for the appropriate package and then down the bottom of that page there's a manuals link. Their support system could definitely be a little more intuitive to use, but it is mainly all there.

I wonder whether Navigraph have got back to them yet. When I last spoke to anyone from CS after we published the review, they had sent their format info to Navigraph and heard nothing back, I believe. The situation may have changed since then, as it was some time ago.

Ian P.

bstolle
January 1st, 2009, 23:56
@jimjones,

You wrote; gear up at 1000ft, flaps up at 3000ft, speed 150kts. (The gear should be retracted as soon as the plane is climbing, e.g. latest at 100ft!)
Well at THAT speed with flaps up you are WAY too slow.
The autopilot can't cope with the plane almost stalling and the symptoms you are describing are typical for a stall.
Without flaps I'd never fly slower than 220kts.
Check the fuel on board. If you are very heavy you might need to fly even faster.

You don't need FSUIPC, I don't use it either.
You don't need to program the FMC (also not required IRL)
Just align the 3 IRS and that's it.

@ brett_henderson

The shortest visual traffic pattern I managed to fly with a jet airliner took me 2.5min (IRL!) in the sim even less ;)
So much for boring tubes ;)

jimjones
January 2nd, 2009, 01:42
Wily. I have checked and there is an fsuipc4.dll in my modules directory, dated 11/13/2008. I suspect the cs757 install put it there.

I've read thru some of the posts in the cs Pilots Lounge. Seems there have been several reports of problems similar to mine where the plane rocks, altitude and speed do not hold etc. A general autopilot failure. Some have indicated fsuipc solved their problem. Since fsuipc4 resides in my modules folder, that is not my solution. There seems to be other issues.

Brett. I've done the 3 IRS align, go to 350 knts level flight and cannot even control with the simplest autothrottle control. Once activating autopilot via cmd the violent rocking begins and no a/p functions work. If fsuipc is not used for these functions its presence should not be a problem.

The cs757 seems to use the cmd and disconnect buttons for a/p control. I've avoided using the z key which seems to not function the same as the cmd and disconnect buttons.

Until I get a/p to work it is not much point trying the more sophisticated cs757 functions.

Pretty much confounded at this point.:isadizzy:

jimjones
January 2nd, 2009, 03:04
I've now read thru most of the post on cs Pilots Lounge related to the AP not working and violent reocking. Seems too many (experienced 757 users too) are having the problems with no apparent solutions. There seems to be a rant to have cs fix it.

So I will fly manually and try to enjoy the good looking exteriors and interiors until a fix becomes available.

I appreciate all the comments in this thread. Thanks again.

Jim

Brett_Henderson
January 2nd, 2009, 06:23
@ brett_henderson

The shortest visual traffic pattern I managed to fly with a jet airliner took me 2.5min (IRL!) in the sim even less ;)
So much for boring tubes ;)<!-- / message -->

Oh.. don't get me wrong.. wrestling a tube around can be a blast. And like I pointed out.. getting one from an airport; up to altitude, and then back to a runway is quite a challenge ( if you do it realistically.. no in-flight maneuvers that would scare you pax to death.. an approach/landing that won't have them holding their breath.. not to mention having an FAA guy wanting to talk to you..lol .. and make you a standing joke of the maintanence guys).. I mean, it REALLY takes a lot of skill and attention to detail during a descent and turn to final .. there's a LOT going on (almost too much for one pilot)(especially if you're IMC).

I do a flight-school thing at another forum.. I get a kick out of the posters (instant airline captains) who come in and ask things like, "How can I get lined up with the runway, in the 737 ?".. or any of those general, "How do I land a big jet ?", questions.. when a quick Q&A reveals that they don't even grasp the basic concepts of piloting. "If you can't fly a dead-accurate pattern in a C172, and have the approach stabilized enough to watch the runway come to you, pretty much hands-off the yoke.. How in the heck do you expect to be landing a big jet ? "...

Sorry.. I digress.. Yeah, tubes can be fun, but realistic operations (with default tubes), can get a little boring. This 757 has been as much fun as I've had in a sim plane, in a long time :mixedsmi:

Brett. I've done the 3 IRS align, go to 350 knts level flight and cannot even control with the simplest autothrottle control. Once activating autopilot via cmd the violent rocking begins and no a/p functions work. If fsuipc is not used for these functions its presence should not be a problem.

I've been to the CS forums too, and I haven't experienced any of those problems. The nearest to them would be (because I'm still learning to program/control FMS descents) the A/P disengage problem. They said something about going back to an older version of FSIUPC, but I'm finding that it's more a problem of "push buttons first", and THEN try to figure out what you've done. If you just punch the disengage button, and try to fly.. yeah, it get's dicey, because you almost have to wrestle the plane away from the now, de-activated A/P. If you methodically turn all the funcions off (A/T, F/D, etc.) and then disengage by the big button, control returns to you, albeit you have to deflect the controls a little.. like to "break" it free (rudder causes the least, passenger fright..lol).

I'm going be testing/learning all day today.. so I'll report back more info, as I garner it. I do remember that the methodical turning off of the functions and then turning off the A/P by the CMD button seemed to give the plane back to you with little fuss (but i can't swear to it).

Lastly.. yeah.. it's annoying that you can't just ignore the FMS and use the A/P like you think it SHOULD be able to be used. .. i.e.. turn it on.. dial in heading, airspeed, altitude and have it all work. If I figure out how to do that.. I'll report back ASAP

IanP
January 2nd, 2009, 09:12
You can do that - it just behaves properly, rather than like the pretty poor representation of an autopilot in the default airliners. You just need to learn how to use it.

Turning on CMD just engages the autopilot. You have to set what you want on the autopilot, then engage the mode. I would seriously recommend using FL CH (Flight Level Change) to move from one altitude to another, rather than Vertical Speed mode, as this will control speed as well as pitch.

Activating HDG HOLD on the CS B757 is a bit of a pain, but it can be done.

Ian P.