PDA

View Full Version : DreamFleet FSX Archer

lifejogger
December 31st, 2008, 06:28
I am thinking of getting it, does anybody have it? If so what do you think of it?

Kiwikat
December 31st, 2008, 06:31
I'm assuming you mean the Dakota, because they do have a FS9 Archer...

If you have Vista, stay away from it. The RXP stuff doesn't like Vista at all. I got CTD's every flight and ended up refunding the thing. If they'd switch to the 32 bit garmin trainer I think it would be fine, but they don't seem to care about fixing it.

lifejogger
December 31st, 2008, 06:51

If you have Vista, stay away from it. The RXP stuff doesn't like Vista at all. I got CTD's every flight and ended up refunding the thing. If they'd switch to the 32 bit garmin trainer I think it would be fine, but they don't seem to care about fixing it.

My mistake, don't know why I thought they had the Archer for FSX, wish someone did it was one of my favorite planes in fs9.

Lionheart
December 31st, 2008, 06:55
Which one does Carenado make?

Bill

Kiwikat
December 31st, 2008, 07:26
Which one does Carenado make?

Carenado has the Cherokee atm and is making the Arrow IV. I really really want the arrow to come out soon. :mixedsmi:

bkeske
December 31st, 2008, 07:47

The new Garmin trainer is 32 bit, and it is the new 430 WAAS version installed in the Dakota. They (Garmin) do not make a 64 bit trainer, thus Jean-Luc's hands are a bit tied here.

One of the reasons I stick with Win XP is the RealityXP issues folks have with Vista. Seriously, I like those gauges and GNS units so much, I just don't want to create problems for myself. Not sure why there are so many issues with Vista and RXP stuff....so I just stear clear.

Now....the Dakota is a great aircraft. I believe it is in the top 3-4 aircraft most flown by myself in FSX. Highly recommended. And if you still have 430 issues (and run Vista), there are other choices, like a fairly inexpensive Friendly Panel GPS package, or SimFlyer, or Eaglesoft. An easy swap.

Kiwikat
December 31st, 2008, 07:50
I know the new trainer is 32 bit, but the one the Dakota uses is 16 bit, thus causing problems. I'd love flying the Dakota, but the old trainer it uses ruined the experience with a CTD every flight.

Or did they finally change the dakota to include the new 430W (32 bit)? I've not been watching since its release and my refund. If they did, I'll definitely pick it up again and see if it works.

bkeske
December 31st, 2008, 08:15
I know the new trainer is 32 bit, but the one the Dakota uses is 16 bit, thus causing problems. I'd love flying the Dakota, but the old trainer it uses ruined the experience with a CTD every flight.

Or did they finally change the dakota to include the new 430W (32 bit)? I've not been watching since its release and my refund. If they did, I'll definitely pick it up again and see if it works.

The Dakota and new RXP 430/530 came out virtually at the same time, as the (old) RXP units would not work in FSX, and Lou could not release the FSX Dakota without the updated RXP Garmin units. So yes, I believe that the Dakota has the latest Garmin trainer installed.

To be honest, I purchased the RXP units separately at (again) virtually the same time, and swapped them, so perhaps someone else can clarify.

But again, (I have not read all the posts on the RXP help forum), I do know folks have had issues with the units and Vista. And that alone keeps me running Win XP. Thus, I believe you could still have issues if you run Vista, but I have no idea what percentage of folks are having these problems. And it may simply be the folks running 64 bit Vista. Just cannot say with any certainty.

And again, it is such a great aircraft, that I know I would probably simply swap the 430 out with one one of the others mentioned above.

Kiwikat
December 31st, 2008, 08:21
The Dakota was initially released with the old 16 bit non-WAAS GNS430. The old 16 bit version has lots of problems with Vista 32 and 64 bit versions. I'm running 32 Ultimate.

However, I bought the GNS430W package from RXP and it works with almost 100% success. (Some planes it just doesn't want to work in...) I heard they were going to upgrade the old 16 bit 430 to the new 32 bit 430W but I don't know if they ever did.

I also heard that switching the two messes up autopilot functions due to the older RXP gauges used with the Dakota.

bkeske
December 31st, 2008, 08:40
The old RXP 430 never worked in FSX. That, I am sure of. I am also sure that when I first installed the Dakota, I had both American and International data bases in the 'default' RXP 430 (I know because I was trying to figure out how to switch to interantional....then realized it was an all inclusive data base). Thus, I believe that means it uses the new 32 bit trainer, as the old 16 bit had to different data bases for this. I could be wrong, but believe I am correct here.

RXP no longer sells the old version, as the new version replaced it.

According to the Dreamfleet web site, it states that the Dakota uses 'new' RXP gauges. What that means, I'm not sure. Again, I swapped mine almost immediately.

I have the new RXP WAAS version in the Dakota, and it works fine, as I'm sure a 'Friendly Panel' (as example) 430 unit would as well.

If you have the stand alone RXP unit, I would definitely get the Dakota and install the WAAS version into it. There would be no reason not to. :mixedsmi:

Kiwikat
December 31st, 2008, 08:58
Hmm so the new 430WAAS works nicely with the autopilot and HSI gauges?

I'll have to pick her up again then.

bkeske
December 31st, 2008, 09:56
Yep, I have over 40+ hours in it using the WAAS unit.