PDA

View Full Version : Configuration File

jamminjames
August 4th, 2012, 10:36
I downloaded a new config. file but I don't know which folder in FSX it goes in?? Help!!

Stan V.
August 4th, 2012, 10:46
I downloaded a new config. file but I don't know which folder in FSX it goes in?? Help!!

Which (i.e., what name) config file did you download and what operating system are you using?

jamminjames
August 4th, 2012, 13:56
Bojote's tweaked config. and Windows 7. Added GEX and my fsp took a big hit. Was trying to see if there was anything I could do to improve performance. IF anyone knows of a better one please give link.

FSX68
August 4th, 2012, 17:13

Desktop\cbell\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Just replace 'cbell' with your user name.

cfsops
August 4th, 2012, 17:13
Bojote's tweaked config. and Windows 7. Added GEX and my fsp took a big hit. Was trying to see if there was anything I could do to improve performance. IF anyone knows of a better one please give link.

There are many "config" files with FSX. What is the name of the file you're trying to replace? Is it the FSX.CFG file?

falcon409
August 4th, 2012, 18:39
Looks like from his post that it's a "tweaked" FSX.cfg file, thus replacing the current one. Personally, that sounds like a disaster in the making. . . .but to be on the safe side, back up the original config file first so you have something to fall back on.

jamminjames
August 5th, 2012, 07:09
Looks like from his post that it's a "tweaked" FSX.cfg file, thus replacing the current one. Personally, that sounds like a disaster in the making. . . .but to be on the safe side, back up the original config file first so you have something to fall back on.
You are probably right. I did back up my FSX.cfg file but haven't installed new one yet. Played with settings on my video card and improved performance (fps) slightly. This may be my problem? I'm not a computer guy and really don't know any one who flies FSX to help me. Anyone know the best settings for a Nivida GeForce GTX 285?

ryanbatc
August 5th, 2012, 07:16
I'd recommend reading through this post...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/370594-read-before-posting-software-hardware-guide-for-fsx/

olderndirt
August 5th, 2012, 07:30
My advice - leave well enough alone. For a while, I too was a member of the 'tweak of the month club'. It's all theoretical and, most of it, not valid. I subscibe to Nick N's minimalist views over at SimForums.

falcon409
August 5th, 2012, 07:54
My advice - leave well enough alone. For a while, I too was a member of the 'tweak of the month club'. It's all theoretical and, most of it, not valid. I subscibe to Nick N's minimalist views over at SimForums.
Yep, agreed! Nick pretty much tells ya what does work and what doesn't and why. When all else has come and gone, his NVidia settings remain and are the ones I go by consistently.

jamminjames
August 5th, 2012, 09:51
Thanks for the advice, I am printing Nick's settings now....You guys are a BIG help...