PDA

View Full Version : FSD Commander Installation PEBKAC

FelixFFDS
December 31st, 2008, 06:07
After spending an eveningful of pseudo-troubleshooting the Commander installation, and a good part of this morning (admittedly before my morning coffee, thereby forgetting that any activity requiring a modicum of intelligence should NOT be attempted before such), in desperation, I decided to uninstall the model, using the installed uninstaller, which promptly crashed.

In a fart of brilliance, I downloaded and installed the uninstaller provided for in the "Support" board. I carefully saved the new uninstaller to the FSD folder, exactly in the location of, and replacing, the originally installed uninstaller.

"This is not a valid Windows 32 bit application" <YOU idiot!>screamed the warning box!

Of course, I chastized myself, since the new unninstaller was probably set up for the complainant's VISTA setup, and not my own XP setup.

I resigned myself to attempting a reinstall of the model. Successful reinstall

click off the "read me"

Hey, what's that "Find FSD 115 folder box for?".... Hmmm , let me see, right.... click on the Airplanes->FSD 115 okay....
<GASP>THere's the infamous Load Manager!

In anxious anticipation, I fire up FS-X, choose the Commander..

EGADS! There are actually thumbnails showing up in the screen!
<CLICK!>
but where's the "visual model could not be displayed" box....

And suddenly, there I am, flying over Friday Harbor in the VC of the Commmander, with all bits and pieces....

------------------------------------------------------------
Root Cause Analysis:

PEBKAC issues resolved (this time)

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

--------------------------------------------------------------
(aimlessly wanders off to the Cirrus XLS for a Grolsch....)

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
December 31st, 2008, 06:24
Gee Whiz Felix , i had better send Jim a copy of the cooler , or even add it myself to the source files to save him some time .. any brand preferred this time or is Grolsch going to be in that official FFDS cooler...

FelixFFDS
December 31st, 2008, 06:28
The offical FFDS libation is Sam Adams (long story there, but suffice it to say that the conspumtion of large quantities of such at a gathering resulted in my being invited to FFDS - and I wasn't even at said gathering!)

cheezyflier
December 31st, 2008, 06:51
shouldn't pebkac actually be spelled pbcak?

FelixFFDS
December 31st, 2008, 07:01
shouldn't pebkac actually be spelled pbcak?

No, young grasshopper,

PBCAK is merely "Problem Between Chair and Keyboard" .... which brings about an elemnet of uncertainty. This uncertainty is removed with PEBKAC (or PEBCAK, I'm not picky on the specific order, as it is relativistic - are yo ulooking from the computer out (PEBKAC) or from out into the computer (PEBCAK)....)

in any event, the uncertainty is removed by stating "Problem EXISTS".....

:)

Lionheart
December 31st, 2008, 07:04
Its difficult these days.....

I have the incredible Tilt Rotor for FSX and couldnt fly it. It was a ball of parts. Come to find out, I didnt have SP1 in my FSX installation. (I was going to get rid of vista as soon as possible and never updated my FSX temp installation). Now, the bird shows up in all its glory...

Devs have to deal with many issues. Cant just be one sim.. one OS.... no.... nope nope.

* 32bit or 64bit
* FS9 or FSX
* WinXP or vista
* SP1 or SP2 or ooops.. no SP at all..
* Installation on C, D, E, F, G, H, I, or J drive (most have FS on alternate drives now which improves performance and protects when a system failure occurrs, but not all installers know how to find FS in such locations).
* FSUIPC installed?
* For scenery, do you have world mesh installed? oops.. and which one?

Quite a few things that can block what should be a smooth and uneventful installation of a product addon..

Glad you got it sorted.

Bill