PDA

View Full Version : PLOESTI August 1, 1943

SSI01
August 1st, 2012, 07:44
Today marks the 69th anniversary of the 9th Air Force's extremely low-level raid on the Romanian oil fields at Ploesti. In war, losses to an attacking force of 20-25% are considered prohibitive and worth calling off the attack; at Ploesti, attacking B-24 units lost about 33% of the entire force (173 aircraft), and most of that in about 20 minutes. Five Medals of Honor were won in the same time span; one analysis of the battle states more firepower than would be exchanged in two Gettysburgs was also expended, again in the same time span. Almost beyond comprehension. Many of the American aircrew were tour-expired, but volunteered for one more flight in the sincere belief this mission would materially shorten the war. This episode is well worth being made into a film, if someone could interest a studio in doing one; there's plenty of human interest in this story, and fidelity and devotion to duty - qualities sorely lacking in some parts of our society right now. It's the story of a wartime "citizen" air force of adaptable amateurs performing in a superbly professional manner. Most of the survivors have gone to their reward. I knew a few and miss them.

glh
August 1st, 2012, 08:34
I agree with you. How to get Hanks and Spielberg interested in this project ?? It could be a quality film of
"Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers" caliber if they were involved.

Taco
August 1st, 2012, 10:28
Lot of them are gone now. Back in the 70s I was at one of the 98th bomb group reunion, and met a lot of the crews on the first flight into Ploesti. One of the most interesting was the thrill of meeting and talking to Col. John Kane. I was given their yearbook for this reunion, and a lot of the crew members sigined it for me, including Col. Kane. To all Clear Skys! A descent movie would be tribute to of the crews that flew all the mission into Ploesti!

Jim

crashaz
August 1st, 2012, 18:15
Killer Kane.... must have been an awesome moment for you. :salute: