PDA

View Full Version : OT Valve is Hedging its bets

Dangerousdave26
July 31st, 2012, 08:30
A couple of days ago I saw a news article about how Windows 8 was a catastrophe. Such an article did not surprise me knowing full well that MS operating system releases seem to follow a pattern of bad release good release.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18996377

What surprised me is that the article is actually written from Valve's prospective and not from a PC user prospective.

One of the things I was impressed with was the fact that Valve is going to be porting its product line (where possible) to Linux.

To me that should be a good thing for Linux and the market place.

Now enter this guy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19065082

So am I to take it that everything that runs on the Linux System should be Free? :icon_lol: That must be how Mr. Stallman feels.

Tako_Kichi
July 31st, 2012, 08:57
I think this quote just about sums it up:

Gaming on Linux is incredibly small - it's not a particularly large market so both Gabe and Richard's comments are really evangelical ones," Strategy Analytics director of digital media Ed Barton said.

He makes a good point and Gabe and Richard are at opposite poles on the Linux world map, maybe they will find common ground somewhere in the middle.

pfflyers
July 31st, 2012, 09:42
The way I read it, W8 is a "catastrophe" from Valve's perspective because MS is trying to muscle in on Steam's turf with its built in market, they're not judging W8's suitability as an operating system. Plenty of others have done that.

As far as Mr. Stallman is concerned, I've heard that he sees Linux as a software commune, and yes, I think that in his view everything on Linux should be free (or at least free from profit), and open source.

cheezyflier
July 31st, 2012, 14:16
The way I read it, W8 is a "catastrophe" from Valve's perspective because MS is trying to muscle in on Steam's turf with its built in market, they're not judging W8's suitability as an operating system. Plenty of others have done that.

As far as Mr. Stallman is concerned, I've heard that he sees Linux as a software commune, and yes, I think that in his view everything on Linux should be free (or at least free from profit), and open source.

this is exactly how i interpreted things also. and if y'all think about it for a minute, we've been discussing a part of this kind of thinking right here at SOH.
remember the threads about the demise of microshaft flight? didn't the majority of the comments talk about people's distaste for the way ms is muscling out the aftermarket developers and the home tinkerers?

as for windows 8, i haven't even seen it yet, but knowing that it has an integrated microshaft store in it makes me seriously consider walking away from windows if i can. i've already been annoyed for decades that i can't remove/disable internet explorer without major consequences. i hate when things i don't want are forced on me, in order to get something i do want. it's why i don't have cable television in my house. some of you are too young to remember when there were laws that limited where, how much and what types of advertising there could be. there was a time when we were not constantly bombarded with messages created soley to motivate you into buying things.
/end of old man rant

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/Awesomedance.gif

Dangerousdave26
July 31st, 2012, 17:47
Honestly the only reason I have a windows PC is Flight Simulator.

Otherwise I might not even need a computer at all. :kilroy:

Now that is an idea ain't it. :icon_lol: