PDA

View Full Version : Should we close down SOH

hey_moe
December 30th, 2008, 15:06
In 60 days this thought has become a question when our contract expires.Has anyone ever asked themselves why they even bother to come in here.Has anyone ever looked at where the different members come from and all the different countries we have in here. Has anyone ever bother to look how many guest and members come in here each day.We have asked over and over again to treat a member as you would want to be treated. It is hard being a moderator or a admin to monitor the different threads and read it to be fair to others. Do we make mistakes yes..do you make mistakes yes too. But we should be men and take the good with the bad. We all can read a thread and look at it in a different way. This does not mean if you read it the wrong way start bashing each other and this seems to be the direction some of the members keep taking.The things that go on behind the background to keep this site going takes many many hours. On holidays a person takes the time to spruce it up for our enjoyment. We also have a joke area,combat area,FSX and FS9...ect..ect. All of this is free for each of us to enjoy. The best part of this site is we have builders in here and we also have great members that buy things and share there experince of planes,scenery,hardware,software...we also have beta testers...you name it we try to have it for you. But the best thing we have here is the support of each and every member. Don't you think it's time we start to support each other and show just a little bit of respect to each other. We are starting a new year soon and it would be nice if we try and stay focused on being nice to one another and just a little bit more supportive of the ones working in the back office...Mike

Lionheart
December 30th, 2008, 15:10
Don't you think it's time we start to support each other and show just a little bit of respect to each other.

Hey Moe

I totally agree. Lets keep it fun....

Rami
December 30th, 2008, 15:15
Yeah...personal attacks are uncalled for. This is a hobby...a game! (Excuse me...a Sim) We all have enough problems in our own lives. Leave them out of the forum.

Ferry_vO
December 30th, 2008, 15:15
"Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!"

That's what it says, right above the 'door'.

Please read it, let it sink in for a moment and try to keep it in the back of your head everytime you post.
A little respect and consideration for other members is all we ask for; it's what makes this place the best FS forum on the net.

GT182
December 30th, 2008, 15:22
To ask of your question Moe. Would you miss our ugly faces, that you can't see, if it did close?

I know one thing... I'd miss this place.... big time!

EMatheson
December 30th, 2008, 15:25
This is the only forum I go to regularly.
'nuff said.

This is the only forum I have accumulated more than 50 posts. Between this post count and the pre-crash count, the number was close to or above 1200.
'nuff said.

I waste, on average, 4 hours a day here, just reading posts and keeping tabs on things.
'nuff said.

I will be homeless without SOH.

familton
December 30th, 2008, 15:26
Hi Moe. I love the site. Please keep it going. I agree on not bashing others. Happy New Year all, regards, Bob.

naravac
December 30th, 2008, 15:28
NO dont close SOH. there are heaps of people on here that have lots of knowledge to pass on. I have only been here a short time, but I like what I have seen so far.

jmig
December 30th, 2008, 15:42
I am sorry for selfish reasons to hear the SOH might close. I enjoy it here and I enjoy the people. I also am sorry for all of us. We would lose something good, if it closes.

I saw this happen once before. It was a site similar to SOH. Several developers frequented there. I have seen names here that I think I remember from there. Like SOH, the people were a big happy family. Then two of the moderators got into a squabble. Shortly thereafter it was gone. I really hope history doesn’t repeat itself here.

The question was asked, “What do the owners and staff get out of this site?” They get the satisfaction of knowing they have created and are part of something truly unique. I think that if they let it die they will regret it later on. Why? This is their creation. It is special. If they give it up because of weariness or lack of money, I think they will always look back and think, “What if?”

So, what can be done if the reason is weariness? The individuals could step back a while and let someone else take over some of the tasks and responsibilities. Someone said this wasn’t our site. I disagree. It is ours, also. Without us there would be no SOH. Without the admin and staff there would be no SOH. We are all part of SOH and we all make it either better or worse. We all have ownership, either direct or indirect.

If we want to keep it we need to do more than just post salt and pepper comments. Moderation can be shared. There are people here who have the talents and time to help out. Do so. Volunteer. I come here at least once a day on average. I would be willing to help.

If the problem is money, we can help here too. AVSIM and FlightSim make money through ads and storefronts. The developers who come here and post their newest creation could pitch in a few dollars to advertize their new “must haves.”

People like Jim Dhaenes and Tim “Piglet” Conrad make freeware as good as payware. Maybe they could sell it through SOH? Designers might offer a new creation here for the first week or so?

Another idea would be to have a “Premium “ membership for say, $25 a year. Only Premium members could download the repaints, aircraft, scenery, etc. A non Premium member could post but not download. I would be willing to build a box with switches for landing gear, flaps, etc and raffle it off on SOH. These are just a few ideas I came up with. I am sure together we can do much better.

Yes, “the dictator” as some of you call him can pull the plug anytime. But, until he does so, should we just wait around for our fate like prisoner on death row? Or, are we willing to try and save something we all believe is special and good.

Cloud9Gal
December 30th, 2008, 15:52
Jmig- I could not have said it any better.

This is a GREAT place for so many reasons and I, for one, would hate to see it go down. I enjoy coming in here on a daily basis. I have learned so much about so many different things, just by reading various threads that make SOH. Those threads exist because all of us share our knowledge, our opinions, our stories, our jokes, and our talents.
We are all adults, lets come together as a "team" and keep SOH alive.
If there's anything I can do to help, please reach out to me. I agree, we should have a Premium membership and enlist any help we can find to support the funding of SOH.

Please don't close SOH down. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sad/no.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

Nausicaa
December 30th, 2008, 15:53
Ickie is running this forum alone, by investing insane hours, money and - as it seems - health. This is not a good situation to begin with and I think it's condemned to turn bad one day--sooner or later. Better this way than hearing some day something far worse about Ickie. So I "vote" (if I may call it that way) for closing it down. Members who really enjoy this place so much can try to build up something similar. They will suceed if they care enough.

I will miss SOH, and I would like to thank the whole staff for their work over all the years. I myself haven't been an easy fellow always-I hope it's forgiven and they can remember the good stuff too.

grizzly50
December 30th, 2008, 16:10
Please do not close down SOH. I have learned a lot here and met many new people, although I've never seen any of them face-to-face.

Everyone, I implore you, this negative downturn has to stop for the sake of SOH and us.

Yes, we all need to stick toether here, for where else would we go for enjoyment, information, learning and cameraderie.

OBIO
December 30th, 2008, 16:11
I truly hope the site stays up and running. This is my hang out....I don't go to bars, clubs, discotechs, theaters, malls or family reunions (unless it is a reunion for a family other than my own....crashing a reunion is great fun and a good way to get free food...I once won a door prize at a reunion where I knew absolutely no one).

The loss of the download library alone would be on par with a 10.0 earthquake, a F-5 tornado and a F-3 hurricane rolling into one package....a great big disaster. A wealth of files there that I have found no where else....and I have not even come close to browsing it all.

I have no suggestions on how to keep the site running.....I have no clue what all is involved. Wish I did have a grand plan for keeping my home away from home running at full steam.

OBIO

Blackbird686
December 30th, 2008, 16:23
I would hate to see the SOH close down. I have considered this as "FS Home" for the longest time and this is the ONLY forum that I post in and visit on a regular basis, as well as the ONLY forum I support financially.

I think there are alot more good folks here, than bad eggs. I would like to consider myself as one of the good guys.... but that is a matter of someone else's opinion, not of my own.

I agree with Nausicaa, Ickie is running himself ragged, trying to keep SOH up and running fo all of us to have and enjoy. I feel the man is under appreciated, as well as the Admins and Moderators and Staff that try to keep the forums on an even keel. JMRO...

I too would like to thank all who make the SOH a "Wonderful Place" to be. I am quite disturbed by the thought that folks may be considering shutting down one of the last bastions of resources for CFS2 and FS9 as well as FSX, a great community forum full of great folks.... But you do what you must, and I'll leave it at that.

Regards -- BB686 (Insert American Flag here)

naravac
December 30th, 2008, 16:31
Is there anyway that Ickie could share the workload with others who are willing to do what it takes to keep SOH open? Im sure many people would help out

Jaxon
December 30th, 2008, 16:41
It`s my online-home.
Why should I want to take it down?

Please keep it running, or flying, or whatever...

scruff
December 30th, 2008, 16:43
ive only been a member for a few months now,and im glad i even found about about soh.i had no idea when i first got a copy of cfs2 how great a game it is.there is so much potential for it and that,as far as i can see,comes down to the fact that a hell of a lot of people are out there trying there best to give us all a better gaming experience .its these guys that make the difference.ive learnt so much cus of soh and the people that run it,ask questions,answer mine,spend countless hours improving a gauge or some textures etc.now i dont know whats going on in the back ground,but im sure its not worth closing soh down for.have all the years of hard work been for nothing? sort it out,even if its just for me.happy new year all.

robert41
December 30th, 2008, 16:50
I'll tell you why I come here, more than just flight simming, its like a family or close freinds. Every nite after work, I check the forums and see whats new. Have learned a lot about flight simming and computers. I dont post that much, but read a lot. I can understand what Ickie is going through, being in management myself. Its going to be up to everyone here to keep SOH running.

hews500d
December 30th, 2008, 16:59
I truly hope it doesn't come to shutting SOH down. Even though I've never met any of you face to face, I have found during my years of membership here that for the most part, anyone of you are willing to do whatever you can to help someone out in need of assistance and feel like a lot of you are my "extended family."

It's been a tough, challenging year for many, many members here (me included), and both here, and in my professional life, I'm finding people getting more and more "on edge." Please, let's not start out 2009 in a negative way, we've had enough of that crap this past year fer pete's sake!

I have very little to offer in the way of talent to help keeping the site going, but as a developer (albeit small one) I would certainly be willing to pay a yearly membership fee or even advertising fees whenever I have a release nearing. This is pretty much the first place I run off to check whenever I am able to get some free time at the computer, even on vacation I'm checking it daily and will miss the daily diversions if the unthinkable happens.

Darrell
Experimental Aircraft Works

Cazzie
December 30th, 2008, 17:16
hell no!

Irwin Forrester
Its' been a while since I posted anything on the forum, but Ive been a proud member for several years. I didnt' know a sim could be adapted the way cfs2, or I should say, the way this forum has shown is possible. The dedicated and talented people who have spent there time and hard work, or those that able to find answers to the questions. There has at least been a spirit that we could agree on at least one thing, we all love this sim and SOH in particular. Ickie and the staff have always done such an amazing job for this forumand I appriciate the effort greatly. I vote FOR its' continuation, so if that means additional fees for membership to aleviate Ickies' work load then give me an address I can send pymnt to. I havnt got an paypal accnt and I'm laid-off again, but I dont want to loose my most favorite forum because I didnt' vote, with love and respect , I.F.

Allen
I hope the site stays up and running. This is my hang out. I don't go out too much.

The loss of the download library alone would be bad loss. I have found files here that I can find no were but here. The builders would have no place to call home. With out SOH older FS's and CFS's would be all but gone. The files and info to mod them would be gone to us all.

I don't know what is going on but I don't under stand since I don't leave the CFS2 fourm alot.

Wittpilot
December 30th, 2008, 17:22
If for some reason the 'Outhouse' should burn down... I just would have no place to go.... Yes, unfortunately boys will be boys sometimes, but as my experiences on other forums go, the Outhouse is much more calm and collected than most. Thats why I call it my second home... If I've heard my wife say "You spend more damn time at that Outhouse than you do with me," once, I've heard it a thousand times.....

The show must go on!!!!

-witt

willy spaten
December 30th, 2008, 17:23
This website & forum is a great resource for so many online flyers. This website has given the opportunity for many to make pen-pal friendships with those who share similar interests and hobbies (and in many instances this past year and years before-- meet up with those we've played in games when taking a trip )--This forum is an online fraternity--it would be a bummer if ya closed it.
Thanks.
-willy

dandog
December 30th, 2008, 17:45
This is by far the best, most flame retardant (if you get my drift) site out there bar none. Yes, there are other sites, but this one is the most knowledgable and friendly. I mean no offense to all of the other sites. I have only been involved in flight sim for about 2 years. I've spent much time trying to "Get UP to Speed". This is the place to do it. I thank everyone who visits SOH and especially the GREAT moderators.

Daniel

lifejogger
December 30th, 2008, 17:46
Please do not shut SOH down, Flight simming wouldn't be the same without SOH.

metalman739
December 30th, 2008, 17:47
My life has been spent in the aviation world as far back as I can remember, I work as an engineer in the building of real airplanes, to have a place I can come and just read about people who create things we all can enjoy and fly to places that in normal life is pretty restrictive but here at SOH,the people that make so much possible for the one thing we all enjoy is flying, whether real or imaginary its all the same, if by neglect on our part to help, in whatever way we can, if this place means a damn to us, then there has to be some middle ground, to find a way, there will never be a time when there won't be BS in a sim site but the people who keep the crap to a minimum make this a place we can come and forget about things for a while, to the ones that make this real, thanks, if it does fall by the way side then its because of not trying, all that has to be done is for people to step up and pay it forward, just my thoughts.

hey_moe
December 30th, 2008, 17:48
There are some things that our members do not see when you come to SOH. At the bottom Donation Add-ons there is three more areas. One is called SOH STAFF and the other is called Moved Threads/Post and the last is called Senior Admin. In case you guys don't understand this here are some of the of our post. When a thread looks like it may go bad we will post in the staff forum for other moderators to watch. One person doesn't close it down. We work as a team.But yes sometimes it needs fast attention and that person will close it down ASAP. Before a member gets ban we discuss it in the Staff forum. We come to an agreement then one of us acts.One person doesn't read something and then get mad and close it down or ban someone. It takes a team effort by the staff.Reason being like our members we can read something too and take it the wrong way.And yes we have disagreements in there too. So if you think you are being picked on or harrassed by a staff member it just isn't so.All the moderators and Admins work hard for your enjoyment. So when you bash one of us it hurts. Because we are all trying to be fair to the group.This BS of the Admins are dictators,a-holes,boss's...what ever you want to call us just isn't so.If you think you can do a better job I am sure Ron will give you plenty of work to keep the site going.All you need to do is quit your current job and agree to work for nothing, and agree to get bashed all the time. Just ask Ron how he feelsl about it..I'm sure he can write a book for ya...Mike

Crankpin
December 30th, 2008, 17:49
Like 99.9% of the people that use SOH I think it's a great place and resource.
I'd hate to see it vanish.
The devs and moderators though, see much more of the .1% than the rest of us and that can turn what should be a pleasure into a pain.
So on behalf of the usually silent happy majority, I'd say thanks guys, we appreciate your efforts very much.

T Square
December 30th, 2008, 17:51
I would certainly miss the place and the people I have meet and continue to meet here. I would surely hate like hell to see it closed, but I can understand. I have been a welcomed guest here since CFS1 came out. I have had my moments where I got a little to involved or said something in hindsight I wished to take back, fortunately I think those times are very few and far between. I think what is forgotten sometimes that we are all GUESTS here. I would not allow a GUEST to enter my home and trash it with bad manners, yet that seems to be what's happening here. So with all due respect to Ickie, if I were in his situation I completely understand asking all the GUESTS to move on and closed the doors. It always seems to come down to a few ruining things for all.

ICKIE
THANKS FOR LETTING ME BE A GUEST HERE, I WILL CONTINUE TO VISIT AS LONG AS YOUR DOOR IS OPEN. THE DAY I KNOCK AND THE DOOR DON'T OPEN I'LL WISH YOU ALL GOOD LUCK AND MOVE ON

Hern07
December 30th, 2008, 17:56
If any would care to read it i put a longer post in my home, the CFS2 forum. I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes so there's not much I can say about that. I think that in the cfs2 forum disrespect is a minimum and I wasn't even aware it was a problem. This is the only site I check regularly and it means a lot to me. I do firmly believe that when men of good will and common sense try to solve a problem-it gets solved. Surely there is some solution other than closing it down.

flyer01
December 30th, 2008, 17:58
I First got the Game CFS3 close to a year ago and tried to fly on line as we know was not able to because MS shut down it's site to online flying for it's CFS games. So I googled and ran across SOH and found there were members flying online and joind there games. In that proses I found a wealth of wonderful people and knowledge of CFS games.

SOH Is my main site that I look at several time during the day.I have never looked at and keep up with the day to day events of a site as I have this one. I don't know what Is going on behind the scenes if anything. I fill we have all seen in the open that some members rant and rave about a whole lot of nothing for one reason or another. I think at times Moe and other SOH ADMINISTRATORS fills if it Is being sayed on this site that are in someway response for what is said. And I say there not.

I would miss this site if it where to shut down. And hope it does not.

Flyer01

egypt23spitfire
December 30th, 2008, 18:01
...sad thread
...........sorry to hear youve been dissed ICKIE if anything you should be given a medal for all the hours days months n years youve put into SOH and flight simming.
......... lurking down in the CFS2 hangars i dont really see much bitching and rubbish stuff cause everyone down at the end of that street seem to treat each other well with no overly "rivet counter" attitudes
.the idea of SOH closing because of a couple of idiot attitudes is ridiculous
...........ifn its money to renew our contract i know the usual suspects will come to the aid of the party

.................hell no we wont go

naravac
December 30th, 2008, 18:05
Why close SOH due to some bad comments, or am i missing something?

brad kaste
December 30th, 2008, 18:05
...Other flight sim sights can't hold a candle to SOH. To think it's light might be extinguished in the near future creates the unthinkable.

Rami
December 30th, 2008, 18:06
Please do not close down the Outhouse. It would be the death of CFS2.

Henry
December 30th, 2008, 18:06
This Has been extremely interesting to me
as i have been reading posts and see where some members stand
boom a light!
i see some members who do not care if we are here or not!
maybe they should not be here.
I am first a member secondly staff
i am here to learn all i can about my Hobby
and fortunately i have time to help out here
which is what i love to do
i need no thanks i love to do it
i do not give the time and dedication that Ickie and CK do
its my hours when i can
Ickie does not benefit from that choice
if we have a problem he's there
no excuses if he is sick does not feel like it
he's just there and does it
now it seems like well if its gone we will go elsewhere
well go elsewhere ill escort you
H

shamus
December 30th, 2008, 18:07
My wife calls me a Flight Sim Geek! and I'm sure I am not alone. I have been involved with flight sim since MSFS 98. I have graduated to every generation of flight sim including Combat Sim, Janes, FS9, and now FSX.
Since this is one of my passions in life, I would be deeply saddened should SOH shut down. After a hard day at work, it's a joy to log on and laugh, gain insight thru all of the other members. I've learned much about upgrading my computer, tweaks that work! Also even took some flying lessons and felt way to comfortable at the yoke due to flight sim. Although I did not find you guys until about 3 years ago, I feel as though I know a lot of you. So to Ikie and the other moderators, Hang in there. Don't let a few babies get to you and ruin your passion.

Thanks for Site!

Shamus

smokinhole
December 30th, 2008, 18:09
I don't have a whole lot to say on a general basis but I will say I would be never have grown to enjoy flight simulators as much as I do without this site. Just last night I was booming along at 40k at mach 4.5 in a freeware F-14D doing a virtual visit to somewhere I will most likely never get to see for "real". Just don't ask about the landing:) Anyway as far as trolls and rude people the best defense will always be ignore and delete. People like that thrive on any attention, if they can't get positive attention they will settle for negative. What baffles them is none.....

naravac
December 30th, 2008, 18:11
Is it just me or is there members dropping out of SOH?

JP127
December 30th, 2008, 18:12
I have been a member for many years. I have met many wonderful people from all over the world on this site. Like many have said it is home. Please don't shut down the SOH.
I would also like to thank Ickie, and the rest who watch over the SOH for all their time and effort.

Jeff

Big_Stick
December 30th, 2008, 18:13
I ran an enthusiast website (non-flight-sim) for six years, by myself, and finally shut it down when the signal/noise ratio become unfavorable. The first years of the Internet were great but when we got broadband, everything changed. It was a great thing for a few years, but I can see why some may have grown tired of keeping up this site. Package it up on a DVD set and sell it after you shut down (if that's the final decision) so that all the good stuff will be there for posterity.

I am not about to plead for y'all to keep the site going because I know what a drag it can become. You have given far more to the "community" than anyone could have contemplated. If it's no longer rewarding, do as you must. You only live once.

Rami
December 30th, 2008, 18:13
To administrators,

I have really enjoyed my time as a member here at SOH. I can only imagine what it takes to keep this site running for all of us. It would be a sad day if this website closed. I'm not sure where CFS2 would be without it.

If y'all would like me to step up and help, let me be the first to volunteer. Many in the CFS2 forum know my reputation, (Jagdflieger would give me a good reference) and I would be happy to do as much as I can to help operate and maintain the site which has meant so much to my hobby.

Please consider my offer...I'm happy to help in any way that I can.

And to Ickie: Thanks for everything. You've come to my aid a couple of times!

Mâra Trilokadev
December 30th, 2008, 18:18
Well, I have been coming here since the days of Combat Flight Center, CFS1 and FS98. I've learned a lot, stepped on some toes in the past and had mine stepped on too. I learned about Trogfighters back in the day (anyone remember that, uh, debate?), and the glories of BR planes and their 1% 'rivals.' I've also learned about aircraft I never knew existed, that my computer does a heck of a lot more than write documents, a little history here and there, that some good folks are just as wacky as I am even if our opinions aren't the same, and most importantly I've learned this is a place I like to visit every day even if I just lurk.

While I respect any decision the folks who make this place happen end up making, I sure know my days would be a lot less interesting without SOH, and I know I've been in the debt of good folks like Ickie for many a year now. Whatever happens, I know I'd likely have shelved flightsims years ago because this place taught me there's a wide virtual world there out there to explore beyond the box even if I can't land my Supermarine Scimitar to save my life. Back in 98 or early 99 I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get a Hurricane airborne, let alone landed. Some good folks here like Joe Amodea, Mauro Giacomazzi, and especially a couple of remarkable chaps named Bruno and Sonny showed me not only could I land, but I could do so in style. I still can't land the Scimitar, but the point remains a lot of good folks have given a lot of themselves here, and I for one am grateful.

Happy Flying,
MT

Gdavis101
December 30th, 2008, 18:26
This is the one forum that I frequent regularly and when I need help with something this is where I go. Its a place where everyone knows your name!

Good_2_Be
December 30th, 2008, 18:27
I think the bigger picture here is we all appreciate what the staff does especially Ickie, but we really don't have a clue as to what it takes to run a site like SOH.
The only thing I could imagine it is like is a kindergarten class being taught on a computerized assembly line with the teachers trying to deal with the students and keep the machines working. I'm not trying to offend anyone here just trying to imagine what these VOLUNTEERS have kept alive all this time with their dedication and hard work. God Bless the Staff and what decisions they make, Ickie I wish you well sir, and I don't think I could say THANK YOU enough for ALL you have done for us. Please mind your health the world needs people like you.

Henry
December 30th, 2008, 18:59
I think the bigger picture here is we all appreciate what the staff does especially Ickie, but we really don't have a clue as to what it takes to run a site like SOH.
The only thing I could imagine it is like is a kindergarten class being taught on a computerized assembly line with the teachers trying to deal with the students and keep the machines working. I'm not trying to offend anyone here just trying to imagine what these VOLUNTEERS have kept alive all this time with their dedication and hard work. God Bless the Staff and what decisions they make, Ickie I wish you well sir, and I don't think I could say THANK YOU enough for ALL you have done for us. Please mind your health the world needs people like you.
LOL
i would never put it that way
but thats purty darned close
H

Shadow Wolf 07
December 30th, 2008, 18:59
I truly hope the site stays up and running. This is my hang out....I don't go to bars, clubs, discotechs, theaters, malls or family reunions (unless it is a reunion for a family other than my own....crashing a reunion is great fun and a good way to get free food...I once won a door prize at a reunion where I knew absolutely no one).

The loss of the download library alone would be on par with a 10.0 earthquake, a F-5 tornado and a F-3 hurricane rolling into one package....a great big disaster. A wealth of files there that I have found no where else....and I have not even come close to browsing it all.

I have no suggestions on how to keep the site running.....I have no clue what all is involved. Wish I did have a grand plan for keeping my home away from home running at full steam.

OBIO

My feelings too. SOH is the only forum good info, great addons and exchange of ideas. I primarily only look at the CFS2 forum and never noticed any problems there. It would be a shame for the many to suffer for the deeds of a few.

PeteHam
December 30th, 2008, 19:04
"Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!"

That's what it says, right above the 'door'.

Please read it, let it sink in for a moment and try to keep it in the back of your head everytime you post.
A little respect and consideration for other members is all we ask for; it's what makes this place the best FS forum on the net.

That's what makes this a great place to hang out.

I appreciate the help I've had from the members here and I thank you all for it.

Thanks to the admin who look after us and keep things ticking along.

Lets make 2009 an even better year.

Regards to all,

Pete.

FOO FIGHTER
December 30th, 2008, 19:05
(Deleted long four lettered rant about those responsible for this mess)

Absolutely keep it open!

Most of us didn't know Ickie was running this show by himself free of charge. The man deserves our respect and some sort of compensation. Everthing should be done to help him out and keep him here.

Tango_Romeo
December 30th, 2008, 19:24
....appreciate the amount of work that Ickie does in the thankless jobs he holds, along with the other volunteer admins on SOH.

I may rag on some of my fellow basement-dwellers around the CFS2 Forum from time to time, but the SOH Staff have my never-ending admiration and respect because they're usually working their butts off instead of enjoying the SIM.

cheezyflier
December 30th, 2008, 19:30
i wish i had seen this earlier, i wouldn't be one of the last to post.
i agree with many of the others. this is the best forum on the web, and to close it would be a huge loss to the fs community. if we allow a handful of bad apples to ruin it for us it will be to our discredit.

that said, i'll offer the only thing i have, my time. i'm not allowed to work until i get my papers sometime next fall, so if there is something i can do to help, please let me know. i don't have a powerful computer, and i'm not wiley coyote, but i'll help if i can. if i did have $$ to offer, i wouldn't hesitate.
but i do have time. it's yours if you need it.

while i'm here, no matter what is decided, thanks for the time we've already shared. i hope there is a future.

DennyA
December 30th, 2008, 19:33
Guys, overall, Sim-Outhouse has a very mature and reasonable discussion tone, and its one of the few places where warbird fans can really find useful info.

I can see why Ickie would get sick of the abuse for something that he puts an obvious large amount of time, effort, and passion into. But for every mouthy, privileged ingrate out there, there are dozens of people who really appreciate having this great watering hole to hang out in. Alas, they're not as loud or attention-seeking as the troublemakers.

The Internet is a microcosm of society, and society has plenty of jerks. Add anonymity and an audience (http://site.pennyarcademerch.com/images/dickwadCHOCOLATE.jpg) and some reasonable-in-real-life people become even bigger jerks. But over at the most mature and reasonable general gaming forum (QuarterToThree.com), the admin warns 'em once, and if they keep it up, the banhammer drops. Problem solved.

I'd hate to see S-0 disappear. Along with Qt3, it's one of only two forums I visit on a daily basis. And I for one sure appreciate the time, effort, and passion from Icky, Moe, and the rest of the ops here, and I feel it would be a great loss for the sim community if it shut down.

Bill Kestell
December 30th, 2008, 20:10
I started a post ... it got too personal and too long. Here's a shorter one.

I come here every day to see what my friends are up to ... maybe exchange a few words with them ... catch up on their lives ... their families ... what good things have been happening ... and sometimes ... the bad.

I would miss this special place more than I can articulate if the plug were pulled ... especially over some petty comments made by a petty person.

When I think of the friends I've made ... FROM ALL AROUND THE WORLD ... I'm thrilled and truly amazed!

So, I VOTE NO ... AS EMPHATICALLY AS I CAN SHOUT IT!

whitehawk_2009
December 30th, 2008, 20:16
I would also like to thank each and every moderator and staff member for all they do here. When I first joined, it was just to download, but now I can find info not on just sims, but real world aircraft and aviation too. Like many have said, this is one of the few places I visit regularly on the web.

I would also like to volunteer to help run this site, and would be honored to do so.

WH

polecat0942
December 30th, 2008, 20:35
I haven't read any of the posts in this thread so I am not responding to anything in particular. SOH is a very essential part of this hobby community and it would be a terrible loss if it were to go away. Please keep it going if only for the people who enjoy logging in everyday with the hope they could help someone out or the hope that someone could help them. Thank you for all you've done Ickie, I don't always agree with you, but I'll fight for your right to make the decisions you do. God bless you, may your health improve, and please allow this community to go on and prosper.

Salute,

John

Murray Cod
December 30th, 2008, 20:39
I've also 'met' lots of great people her over a number of years now. A big thanks to Ickie for all you have done even though I had no idea what it took in the background to run the site (just like turning on a tap really - you get water out but don't spend a second to think how the water got there).

I hope the site continues to run, but if it doesn't thanks again to Ickie and all the admins and the people I've 'met'

Murray

ps. and good health to you Ickie for many years to come

Nausicaa
December 31st, 2008, 06:21
as i have been reading posts and see where some members stand
boom a light!
i see some members who do not care if we are here or not!

I care very much for SOH, but I can understand the stress put on Ickie and the staff. Just in case you misunderstood my vote to close it if it's that bad of a situation.

lefty
December 31st, 2008, 06:40
I don't think there is much doubt about where I stand on this one. The site has to go on - it is a unique source of information, help, and cameraderie in the field of aviation simming and beyond. My pals and I in the Historical Wings sanatorium (sorry, forum) would miss it terribly.
I am one of those tightwads who rarely indulges in payware, but am happy to divert a few dollars now and then in the Outhouse direction, as it is an asset worth paying for.
In any group of enthusiasts there are always going to be the intemperate, the immature, the unreasonable, the abusive. Gently ask them to sound off elsewhere - there are enough good guys in here.

JoeW
December 31st, 2008, 06:43
I'm fairly new here and don't understrand what happened. I will say that if help is needed I will try to, any way I can. SOH is THE BEST for FS on the internet in my opinion.
Please keep it open.
Thanks

Buddha13
December 31st, 2008, 07:04
Hi all,
I have been here for what seems for ever.I have made many friends here.This site should remain open.
There will always be the minority who want to spoil it.We should not let them win.They eventually get the message and either get banned or behave themselves.
The basement is really the only serious site for CFS2 still going and has made huge leaps and bounds in bringing CFS2 forward.
Would be a shame to loose all the aquired knowledge we have here as well.
Ickie and the staff here work hard for all of us.We need to support them as much as possible.But what we cannot do is stop the IDIOTS from joining.We can only have them removed once they have shown their true colours.A sad fact of life.
Some people come to sites like the Outhouse I think with the sole intent of causing trouble.Makes them think they are clever.In fact the are just stupid little T**ts who need to either grow up or crawl back under their respective stones with the rest of the low lives.

Buddha13

gavinc
December 31st, 2008, 07:15
Like a lot of the people here I spend a fair amount of time (too much perhaps) reading the posts, responding to a few, downloading files etc. I have come across a very large number of decent, intelligent, rational people - I have also come across a few complete idiots (there are probably one or two people who think I fit into the latter category), the members are a cross section of the real world after all.

I also under-estimated the amount of work and supervision that Ickie (and the rest of the staff) had to provide. One tends to think that these things just happen "auto-magically".

Obviously my personal preference would be for the Outhouse to keep going. I already donate for bandwidth when & if I can, if there is something else that I can do then I am willing to try.

Gavin

Typhoon
December 31st, 2008, 07:46
I hope that SOH is able to keep going. I have made friends here from all over the world. It is a shame that a few jerks with no manners can spoil it for everyone.
Of course there is the matter of Ickie's health to consider as well. It is not worth it to put that in jeopardy.

Tony

MTG196
December 31st, 2008, 07:48
When I first came across SOH I was just looking for information. What I found was a whole lot more. The free exchange of tips, tricks, ideas and information is something the flight sim community needs and SOH is the best place to find it. Since I joined SOH I have witnessed some great things come to life, ETO for example. ETO would not be what it is, or simply would not BE, if it werent for the many great minds coming together and working together here on SOH. Please keep SOH up and running. Simmers need SOH!

PRang
December 31st, 2008, 08:33
Lets be reasonable human beings. I know it is hard; but the SOH is to much fun and instructive to close down. lets work together and keep a good thing going

So help us GOD

PRang :ernae:

hey_moe
December 31st, 2008, 08:38
It's nice to see we have some that care one way or another it we stay or close. I also agree with Henry...if you don't really care if we close down...just leave and we will hold the door open for you. For the rest who give us your support...THANK YOU....Mike

rpjkw
December 31st, 2008, 08:42
SOH is an integral part of the FS community. The staff and members make this home to me. It pleases me no end that I can ask questions with having my head taken off or warned "once more" and I'll be banned. Most of all, I simply enjoy the cameraderie. We all have our opinions, but it's rare in a large group that so many get along so well.

To quote Toto's friend, "There's no place like home".

Bob

IMS_RUFUS THE HUN
December 31st, 2008, 08:53
Noticed something; check the average age of most of the posters in here.

Fortiesboy
December 31st, 2008, 08:58
I have been coming to SOH for some years now. It is invariably my first place of call. In fact, i don't go to many others ref flight simming.
Like most, i haven't given much thought to who runs it and how. Except I know, 'cos i'm not daft, that someone with a lot of knowledge and hard work must be running it.
What I did know is that" this ain't no democracy". This site has rules and requirements like any good site should have- and the guy(s) running it are the ones who make the rules and that is how it should be.
I have come here every day for a long time now, I've met and made friends here and i'd like it to continue.
So, Ickie- please, don't let a few idiots destroy your work that you do very well, and the enjoyment that you have brought to so many of us from around the world.

No-one will ever say that about me - and that's because I don't do anything to deserve it.
You do - and it's a rare and appreciated person to be,

Good luck

Drake
December 31st, 2008, 09:39
Please keep the SHO alive. Shouldn't let one person ruin your's or anyone elses enjoyment of this great site.

Cheers & Happy New Year!
:ernae:

rayrey10
December 31st, 2008, 10:01
As I’ve said before, I spend more time at SOH than I do on FS9…crazy, right? I really don’t know what happened but I would be pretty upset if this place went away. I belong to other forums but this is only place that I have posted anything, because it’s the only place that I felt comfortable asking for help. It’s like a family here. This is also the only site that I have made donations to and probably the only that I will ever donate to.

I came here two years ago, around Christmas of 2006, because I received CFS3 as a gift and was getting eaten alive every time I did a mission. I just wanted some information about how to stay alive for than a minute. After reading a bunch of threads I finally got the courage to post something. Well this member replied (do not recall who it was) with a lot of useful information and some links and stuff. To me it was the coolest thing in the world, and I’ve been hooked ever since!

I hope SOH NEVER closes down, but if it must then “Fair Winds and Following Seas”. You guys are awesome! If it wasn’t for the members, moderators and administrators of this place I’d still be flying stock FS9, and that would be no fun. As a matter of fact I’ve learned so much at SOH that I’m going to try to learn to paint aircraft, guess that won’t be as easy if this place shuts down.

Again, I hope Sim Outhouse stays open forever. I would like to give my sincere gratitude to all of my fellow members, moderators and administrators. You’re Rock Stars in my book!!!!!

Sincerely,
Ray

grunau_baby
December 31st, 2008, 10:11
My humble two thumbs up (as an octopus I´d give you some more support;-) for this place and my deepest respect to those that make it happen!!! We´ve gone through many of these arguments before with people leaving. We´ve always struggled through and the issues were often about disrespect and BS. The door is open for everyone and all the fine people here keep the place, the knowledge and FUN alive!

As Karl Valentine (german actor and commedian) ones said: "Art is beautifull, but a whole lot of work" Let´s work on it!

Alex

willy spaten
December 31st, 2008, 10:58
I hope you fellows keep SOH open. Like Rufus mentions, notice the age of alot of guys. I feel we should not toss the common good because of a few soft apples/ disgruntled types... The door is open for anyone to leave if they don't like it. In my opinion, having been a member for a year +, this forum has a positive spirit, and its moderation is fair- a tremendous resource for the flight sim community. The forum is comprised of mature people (of course, friday night after a few beers on TeamSpeak, this is subject to change--lol-). I hope you keep the site open, thanks much.
my 2 bits--part deux.

-willy

strega13
December 31st, 2008, 11:16
it is a sad thread indeed , especialy during this time of the year which , should be more joyful .
since i arrived in the outhouse about 2 years ago , i have discovered things that made me enjoy the simulation hobby to levels i couldn't imagine . i have met many selfless people who had no problem sharing their work and their knowledge so that computer illiterate people like myself can fly the virtual skies with more than just the product "out of the box" .
it is also the friendliest sim website i have ever seen and is actualy more than just a website or a forum ... it is a community that functions within the flight simulation world the way family functions in the real world . you have questions or need help with an issue within the sim and there are many people who are generous with their time and their knowledge to help out .
this is something that is invaluable .
ickie and all the admins/moderators are to be highly commended for generously offering us such a sim heaven .
as much as i am an airport bum in real life , i am an outhouse bum on the computer . it is the very first place i visit when i fire up my computer ( yep , even before checking my emails or my myspace page ) .
i hope a solution can be reached so that the outhouse can be kept up and running all the while giving ickie and everyone else working on it a well deserved help . as i am sure many other members here , i will be glad to provide any help i can .
i sure hope this is not the end of the road for this fantastic community .

hey_moe
December 31st, 2008, 11:20
I checked that and notice we just a bunch of dirty old farts :costumes:
Noticed something; check the average age of most of the posters in here.

Bulldog
December 31st, 2008, 12:29
Hi all,
I have been here for what seems for ever.I have made many friends here.This site should remain open.
There will always be the minority who want to spoil it.We should not let them win.They eventually get the message and either get banned or behave themselves.
The basement is really the only serious site for CFS2 still going and has made huge leaps and bounds in bringing CFS2 forward.
Ickie and the staff here work hard for all of us.We need to support them as much as possible.But what we cannot do is stop the IDIOTS from joining.We can only have them removed once they have shown their true colours.A sad fact of life.
Some people come to sites like the Outhouse I think with the sole intent of causing trouble.Makes them think they are clever.In fact the are just stupid little T**ts who need to either grow up or crawl back under their respective stones with the rest of the low lives.

Buddha13

I second you there mate!

I've been with this forum longer than any other and it would be a sad day if it closed.

hews500d
December 31st, 2008, 12:41
I checked that and notice we just a bunch of dirty old farts :costumes:

I REFUSE to grow up and grow old !!! :costumes:

Darrell

OTTO
December 31st, 2008, 12:43
Wow, :isadizzy: This is like coming home to find all your belongings on the porch & a place to drop the house key in.
I can only imagine what it takes to keep a site like this going & all too often it is taken for granted with no reguard for those sacrificing to do it.
For all the admin guys & the talented people who share their work, have my unduying gratitude & THANKS.
The door seems to be open to one & all here , but then again it works both ways ---- If you don't like it LEAVE !
Incredible things have come from here by amazing people & I would sure hate to lose that !
My vote , Please keep it open
OTTO

klarm
December 31st, 2008, 13:21
I have to say, Sim Outhouse is the only FS forum that I visit on a regular basis. The wealth of Information, talent and the spirit of cooperation here is second to none. I have yet to see a question go unanswered or a problem unsolved. I have made friends and received help from all over the world. Even the few negitive comments I've received were mainly polite and constructive. It would be a shame to lose it because a few people don't/can't understand that their right to free speech is NOT a right to be inconsiderate or bad mannered. Closing the Outhouse would be a loss to the INTERNATIONAL flight sim community that I personally don't want to witness.

Helldiver
December 31st, 2008, 13:34
Mike, I am the oldest and stinkiest old fart here and I want SOH to stay, grow and prosper.
God bless you Ickie!

wildcat
December 31st, 2008, 13:47
Hi all,

Buddha13

I too have been here longer than I care to remember. It is the friendliest site on the net, and the one place I know where you can get an answer to your problems, flight sim or otherwise. Ickie & the staff work wonders to keep the place going and deserve :applause::applause::applause::applause: for all their work. It would be a shame to lose a great site like this.
Mick