PDA

View Full Version : Olympics Opening Ceremony

Firebar
July 27th, 2012, 16:11
You chaps on the wrong side of the Atlantic under the enslavement of NBC are in for a treat if you can get the in jokes. Even if you can't it completely surpassed my expectations, especially with the leaks of what was in it going on.

glh
July 27th, 2012, 17:23
You chaps on the wrong side of the Atlantic under the enslavement of NBC are in for a treat if you can get the in jokes. Even if you can't it completely surpassed my expectations, especially with the leaks of what was in it going on.

Firebar: Yes, we got the joke. One of our politicians showed up, opened his mouth and the PM and London Mayor set him straight. Good for them.

Firebar
July 27th, 2012, 17:38
Having actually watched the interview Romney seemed to be expressing valid concerns and the press here latched onto them, I mean all the papers were worried about the immigration strike but when a foreigner talks about it? Also let's be honest the biggest joke is, as always, Boris.

What I was more getting at was that there were a lot of little things in the ceremony that you have to be living here or follow things here to get. I also think that especially for something that followed Beijing it managed to be completely different but still pretty cool.

beana51
July 27th, 2012, 17:43
I do not think we need that stuff here...Its offensive to many!! Certainly some recent President REALLY MESSED UP in BRITON early on,..Got a PASS,.If you remember??..Lets leave this in Britain,.They got enough problems of their own....Let the games begin,with no politics ...as it Should!..Vin!

limjack
July 27th, 2012, 18:09
Ready here to enjoy the opening ceremony and live in London for two weeks from my living room. Fun fact for me, US dive team finals were held 5 minutes from the house so I got to go up and enjoy some live Olimpic sports right in my backyard.

Ready to enjoy

Jim

luckydog
July 27th, 2012, 20:11
I don't know why, but I always get misty eyed when the flame is lit.................."Hey Jude" by McCartney was a nice finish.

LD

Dain Arns
July 27th, 2012, 21:23
Was interesting, I always like the Parade of Nations (Wow, quickest ever I have seen for a Summer Game), the raising of the Olympic Flag, the lighting of the Cauldron.
The Olympic Cauldron was really a nice touch, having each nation represented as a 'petal' that was carried with each nation as they entered the stadium, then brought together in the end.

My favorite part featured Her Majesty and Bond. James Bond.
(You could tell Daniel Craig enjoyed the bit.
Too bad the IOC has been banning the video clip from YouTube...)

HouseHobbit
July 27th, 2012, 23:21
I would like to Thank Our British brothers and sisters for a beautiful opening for the games..:applause:

And the Queen is much more active then I expected!!:applause:

Didn't know she could sky dive so well..:ernae:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/2012/opening-ceremony-james-bond-and-the-queen.html

Naismith
July 28th, 2012, 00:58
I thought it a good opener until after the Mr Bean bit, then it kind of lost its way for me at least. On the whole good stuff, but the Artic Monkeys were awful McCartney was off key and this Beckham obsession just bamboozles me, when was he ever an Olympian?

TeaSea
July 28th, 2012, 04:49
I kind of like the Atkinson skit....

Firebar
July 28th, 2012, 05:06
My favorite part featured Her Majesty and Bond. James Bond.
(You could tell Daniel Craig enjoyed the bit.
Too bad the IOC has been banning the video clip from YouTube...)

That bit had my family howling with laughter, along with Mr. Bean. To be honest it's probably the BBC getting clips removed, but then that's OK seeing as they have it on their YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW5abat5NEU

Have to agree McCartney wasn't great. The (Keeper of the) Queen('s Gin) on twitter agreed and said he was #pastit https://twitter.com/Queen_UK?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=Queen_UK&utm_content=228898706546651138

Dain Arns
July 28th, 2012, 07:14
... To be honest it's probably the BBC getting clips removed, but then that's OK seeing as they have it on their YouTube channel...

Actually, as I stated, the IOC is having videos of the Olympic segments removed from YouTube:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/28/ioc-starts-to-delete-unauthorized-video-of-olympics-on-youtube/

stiz
July 28th, 2012, 09:46
i got bored when the monkeys showed up .. up till then it was pretty good, but post monkeys it got boring.

TeaSea
July 28th, 2012, 16:02
"Haven't you always wanted to have a monkey?"

...Bare Naked Ladies

demorier
July 29th, 2012, 00:55
I very much liked some parts of it, and others to me seemed very much out of place. A lengthy complex piece about the National Health Scheme ?? I thought they might show off the various countries and islands of GB.:wavey:

stiz
July 29th, 2012, 01:49
I very much liked some parts of it, and others to me seemed very much out of place. A lengthy complex piece about the National Health Scheme ?? I thought they might show off the various countries and islands of GB.:wavey:

i thought that bit was pretty good, lead nicely into the childrens literature bit as well :)

Mickey D
July 31st, 2012, 01:43
i got bored when the monkeys showed up .. up till then it was pretty good, but post monkeys it got boring.

Nowt wrong wi t'Arctic Monkeys Stiz. Weers thah Yorksher pride.
I also liked the close up of Her Maj in the Sunday Sun as she parachuted in, skirt billowing showing off her pink bloomers. She's amazing doing that at 86! :icon_eek: :applause: A Danny Boyle master stroke. A knighthood? I think so.

Matt Wynn
July 31st, 2012, 02:47
who are these arctic monkeys of which you speak? i didn't see any furry critters with white fur playing in any snow? :icon_lol:

gotta say i think it might have been my favourite opening ceremony thus far... the formation of the olympic rings in the Industrial Revolution period was brilliantly done, now we just have to wait for the athletics to start, but in the meantime there's the Womens Beach Volleyball as a welcome distraction :icon_lol:

Mickey D
July 31st, 2012, 13:38
who are these arctic monkeys of which you speak? i didn't see any furry critters with white fur playing in any snow? :icon_lol:

gotta say i think it might have been my favourite opening ceremony thus far... the formation of the olympic rings in the Industrial Revolution period was brilliantly done, now we just have to wait for the athletics to start, but in the meantime there's the Womens Beach Volleyball as a welcome distraction :icon_lol:
Oh nooo! He mentioned the women's beach volley ball. :jump:Cold shower! Cold shower!