PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought this yet?

jeansy
July 27th, 2012, 02:06
Has anyone bought this yet, if so, what do they think, I have 2010 but its no way near 5m

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2129

it looks very very interesting

Dain Arns
July 27th, 2012, 09:48
Yes.
PC Aviator had all three on special a bit ago.
I got them all since I just did a new FSX install on a new, faster computer, and figured newer, high resolution mesh would be a treat.
I have the resolution and mesh full right on my machine, and the detail is amazing. No, incredible.

In the area I fly most, I could spot major peaks and mountains, now I can see individual and well defined ridges and valleys for example.
The screenshots at their site show nice detail, but they are using default textures which actually seem to hide it.

I'll put up a shot I had the other night at the bottom of this post.
I was flying around the Kamloops, BC area.
I think you can see the nice detail, especially around the lake, how it doesn't have the usual FSX 'cliffs'.
And of course to get the best detail, you have to be close to it, with the usual LOD that FSX displays.

Only downsides, it takes a LOT of room.
Think Oceania/Asia is over 40Gb installed.
I know with all 3 I was well over 100Gb of just Mesh data on the HD. (Worth it).
And it takes a LONG time to install that data to the HD initially, as in hours.
But after installed, I haven't had any change to my load times or FPS.

Plus you still end up with some minor airports that have the FSX 'plateau'.
BUT, they include a disc that has an Airport Flatten program.
Come to an airport with a plateau or bathtub, use the AFM Program and plug in the airport's ICAO number, and it creates proper flattens.
I actually keep the disc in the DVD drive and use it when I'm flying and fix airports on the go.

That's about all. :icon_lol:

Meshman
July 27th, 2012, 10:01
... I have 2010 but its no way near 5m

I'll try not to cross any lines, since I like to make mesh also. But I would be very, very careful about buying into any marketing hype.

I speak as being a customer, along with being a developer.

dvj
July 27th, 2012, 11:45
Yes.
PC Aviator had all three on special a bit ago.
I got them all since I just did a new FSX install on a new, faster computer, and figured newer, high resolution mesh would be a treat.
I have the resolution and mesh full right on my machine, and the detail is amazing. No, incredible.

In the area I fly most, I could spot major peaks and mountains, now I can see individual and well defined ridges and valleys for example.
The screenshots at their site show nice detail, but they are using default textures which actually seem to hide it.

I'll put up a shot I had the other night at the bottom of this post.
I was flying around the Kamloops, BC area.
I think you can see the nice detail, especially around the lake, how it doesn't have the usual FSX 'cliffs'.
And of course to get the best detail, you have to be close to it, with the usual LOD that FSX displays.

Only downsides, it takes a LOT of room.
Think Oceania/Asia is over 40Gb installed.
I know with all 3 I was well over 100Gb of just Mesh data on the HD. (Worth it).
And it takes a LONG time to install that data to the HD initially, as in hours.
But after installed, I haven't had any change to my load times or FPS.

Plus you still end up with some minor airports that have the FSX 'plateau'.
BUT, they include a disc that has an Airport Flatten program.
Come to an airport with a plateau or bathtub, use the AFM Program and plug in the airport's ICAO number, and it creates proper flattens.
I actually keep the disc in the DVD drive and use it when I'm flying and fix airports on the go.

That's about all. :icon_lol:

Does this overlay FTX/Orbx mesh?

Dain Arns
July 27th, 2012, 13:24
Does this overlay FTX/Orbx mesh?

I would imagine it's like any other scenery product.
What order you have it in the Scenery Library would override an addon that is at a lower level.

I disabled the FTX/Orbx meshes in my library.
Could not see a reason to have multiple wide-area meshes activated, that are all doing the same job.
I'll just go with the higher resolution one.

PRB
July 27th, 2012, 14:11
I may not be able to resist this. 40 GB! FSBlobal2008 is "only" 12... 75.00 bucks though. Yikes...

jeansy
July 27th, 2012, 18:12
I would imagine it's like any other scenery product.
What order you have it in the Scenery Library would override an addon that is at a lower level.

I disabled the FTX/Orbx meshes in my library.
Could not see a reason to have multiple wide-area meshes activated, that are all doing the same job.
I'll just go with the higher resolution one.

How do you honestly rate it compared to ORBX mesh

while i have global 2008(not 10), Im more interested in S/E ASIA and the surrounding areas

Dain Arns
July 27th, 2012, 21:06
How do you honestly rate it compared to ORBX mesh

while i have global 2008, Im more interested in S/E ASIA and the surrounding areas

Honestly, I think the Orbx mesh is going to be very comparable for most folks judgements of the two meshes.
I was happy with the Orbx mesh, it does a great job too.
I like the fact that Ultimate has more definition to terrain in the areas I fly most, specifically certain mountain ranges, but then I know what to look for detail wise in those topography features.

Like I said, I bought the entire Ultimate set on sale because it was a great deal at the time.
I had no mesh other than default for all areas of my new FSX install, (Aside from the Orbx FTX NA stuff) so I know it had to be an immediate improvement of the default.

Guess bottom line, Ultimate is probably better than 2008, but do you really want to pay for that difference, or are you happy with what you have?
Maybe just wait for Ultimate to go on sale sometime.

jeansy
July 27th, 2012, 21:23
Honestly, I think the Orbx mesh is going to be very comparable for most folks judgements of the two meshes.
I was happy with the Orbx mesh, it does a great job too.
I like the fact that Ultimate has more definition to terrain in the areas I fly most, specifically certain mountain ranges, but then I know what to look for detail wise in those topography features.

Like I said, I bought the entire Ultimate set on sale because it was a great deal at the time.
I had no mesh other than default for all areas of my new FSX install, (Aside from the Orbx FTX NA stuff) so I know it had to be an immediate improvement of the default.

Guess bottom line, Ultimate is probably better than 2008, but do you really want to pay for that difference, or are you happy with what you have?
Maybe just wait for Ultimate to go on sale sometime.

Im looking at all the surrounding SE Asian areas of Australia, if its equal or better than the current orbx stuff its a bonus

greenie
July 28th, 2012, 04:38
I too am curious about the compatability thing with Orbx. I just had a quick look at Orbx's pdf with PFJ (Pacific Fjords) ...

PFJ
THIRD PARTY TERRAIN MESH
Third-party add-on terrain mesh files are compatible as long as they don't provide a
higher resolution than 10m and their scenery library position is of lower priority than FTX PFJ.

...so no higher tham 10m ...possible problem ?....

quote from FS Global...".FS Global ULTIMATE provides new ‚mesh terrain’ with points only 5m (!) to 76m apart"

...we have a 5m mesh in some areas !..?