PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that?

deimos256
October 3rd, 2008, 15:47
Whenever i try to fly for an extended period of time then try to click something like end flight or realism settings or anything from the menu bar FSX crashes?

Normally i only fly for short stints, but lately i have been doing longer flights and it seems if i fly for longer periods of time FSX has a propensity to crash more. I was flying from FL to NJ and about an hour in i went to check something in realism settings and Bam i get a fatal error message. This has happened lately when i would quit the flight from the menu etc etc.

Have I missed something??

spotlope
October 3rd, 2008, 17:01
It sounds suspiciously like a video driver problem. Memory leak, perhaps? Do you run in full-screen 3D and press alt to get your menus?

deimos256
October 3rd, 2008, 17:05
yes i run fullscreen and hit alt, i havent updated drivers in a long time, perhaps a couple months, directx is up to date though

hey_moe
October 3rd, 2008, 17:31
Are you over heating. What does it say in alerts that caused the crash...Mike

Baron von Blutwurst
October 3rd, 2008, 18:08
I had a similar problem as you are experiencing and had to set my FSX sound settings to the correct position. It was trying to run the sound thru the default playback device rather than my soundcard. Once that was changed, the sim never crashed again.

deimos256
October 4th, 2008, 00:25
i went in and changed this but since its 4am im really not going to put it thru its paces now.

Moe- Its not overheating unless clicking on a menu suddenly puts a ton of strain on the system, as for the error message i dont recall all i remember is it said fatal error, hopefully the above trick works but if not ill check the details of the error

Epsillon
October 4th, 2008, 01:16
FSX+SP2 often crashes in full screen on Nvidia series 7 when you click on the menu bar.
The only solution I've found is to use FSX in windowed mode.
This is a very well known problem.

Stephan

deimos256
October 4th, 2008, 04:13
i have a series 8 card though

Epsillon
October 4th, 2008, 04:45
i have a series 8 card though
This is the same for some Nvidia series 8 cards.

http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=nvidia+serie+7+8+crash+menus+fsx&btnG=Rechercher&meta (http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=nvidia+serie+7+8+crash+menus+fsx&btnG=Rechercher&meta)=

Regards,

Stephan

jmig
October 4th, 2008, 05:09
This a a known problem with Nvidia 7000 and 8000 series cards. I think it was AVSIM where I saw the post sometime ago. Phil Taylor may also have posted on it?

You have to hit ALT-ENTER to come out of full screen to before activating the menus.

It works for me....except when hitting ALT-ENTER crashes the program :banghead:

lifejogger
October 4th, 2008, 08:33
I have an 8 series Nvidia card and I also use to get those crashes but after reinstalling FSX I have not had that problem.