PDA

View Full Version : two installs of FSX?

Daveroo
July 25th, 2012, 06:53
im reading FSUIPC4 ,and something has really stuck in my noggin,he said that the best place to put FSX was in C:FSX...not C:program files/ect,would it be possible to make the FSX folder in C and install the FSX discs,as a new install,and then transfer all my currant files from "progrm files/microsoft games/microsoftX " into the new install? and avoid having to install everything?

cut and paste,and let it install that way

im half temped to uninstall FSX completely anyway,clean it all up and only reinstall the few planes im truely going to fly,will i have any trouble with a registration or anything if i do?

Dangerousdave26
July 25th, 2012, 08:18
Yes you can have multiple installs of FSX.

Yes there are inherent short comings when you compare multiple installs of FS9 which was much more flexible.

Myself I have the first install of FSX (default) @ C:\Program files (86)\FSX. I do not use this install. I simply placed it there to keep a copy of the default install. I then copied the directory to C:\Flightsim\FSX

You can copy over your install to another directory but you will then need to make some registry changes to point the FSX registry entries to the new directory.

The problem you might run into doing this after you have already activated some payware is it might cause the addon to stop working. Then again you might not have that problem especially if you do not delete the original install.

Unfortunately that means FSX takes up twice the space on your drive.

After you move the FSX folder backup the old FSX config and then generate a new one or it will look for the airplanes in the original folder.

You may need to edit the scenery.cfg file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX if you end up with scenery problems.

The same goes for the scenery.cfg file in C:\Users\{your user}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Normally I make both of those scenery files read only this forces FS to use the scenery.cfg file in the root directory of FSX only. I find it helps avoid strange issues where you make changes to the scenery but those changes never show up.

You must have show system files enabled to see the ProgramData folder.

IanHenry
July 25th, 2012, 09:48
Dave,
it's always better if you can do a complete re-format, re-install Windows 7, and if possible install FSX onto a different hard drive. Follow Nick N's instructions to the letter, he knows what he's talking about:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic34141_post198187.html#198187

Regards,
Ian.

mfitch
July 25th, 2012, 22:13
I have also moved an install of FSX. As noted above it requires registry edits (how many depends on the number of add-ons that bothered to use the registry) and edits to many text based config files (fsx.cfg and similar plus add-on configs). This was for just copying the directory not using the DVD to re-install.

In the end in might be easier to do a clean install.

Naismith
July 25th, 2012, 22:40
Sounds like an awful lot of trouble. I have two FSX's (and 2 serial nos) one box from 2006 when it came out and another from when Gold was released. It won't allow two separate installs in this fashion at all, I may try and do the above. I'd like a testing facility prior to actually installing in a main install.

Daveroo
July 26th, 2012, 06:27
well im not willing to do a HD format,and it seems by what i was reading in the FSUIPC4 .PDF was about administrator rights,i was having trouble with my system doing the "program not responding"..but now ive been told i dont need the disc ( what an idiot) i have the icon on my tool bar,i riht click and hit "run as administrator" and it loads faster and complete everytime now,im still not flying though....i hope to set up my throttle quad later today and start flying...but we'll see:sheep: