PDA

View Full Version : Did FLYING WILD ALASKA just end?

Odie
July 22nd, 2012, 11:29
Watched the latest episode this weekend and maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed like the series came to an end (judging by the narrator's script). If that's what happened, I'll miss this charming little aviation/family/reality show!

PRB
July 22nd, 2012, 11:35
I was surprised at this too. In looking at the info for that episode, it did say "series fianle". Seemed like a short series. Gonna miss this one.

Terry
July 22nd, 2012, 11:40
According to Jim Tewto it was getting to large for him to handle. Think he is off to build his new house. I checked Ariel's Facebook page and she confirms that it's all over.

aircav1970
July 22nd, 2012, 12:11
Yes,it did,one show that I really enjoyed watching and it's over....although I can fully understand Jim Tweto's reasoning behind the decision,after 30 years of devoting your entire life to something and the way it has grown it is sure time to step back and let someone else shoulder the burden of Era.A big congrats to Ariel on getting her PPL and I hope Jim and Ferno enjoy their retirement!:cool:

Daveroo
July 22nd, 2012, 12:49
yeah,,i was sorta put out myself,,but three seasons and some fun shows.but if it went on to long it may have become boring,,only so many stories can be told,im glad it ended on a high note,,,no deaths due to tragidy,jim and ferno building a new house,ariel off to explore the world,maybe she will film her exploites,,,,,which i sort of got a hint in there,when she talked of flying from "exciting place to place" i thought,well theres a new show...and same time my folks both said,,,new show!!

dvj
July 22nd, 2012, 13:07
I started watching but gave up with the massive number of commercial breaks after only a few minutes of real program. Plus, really? They are building a new cabin? I'm setting on the edge of my seat. :isadizzy:

FSX68
July 22nd, 2012, 13:52
I started watching but gave up with the massive number of commercial breaks after only a few minutes of real program. Plus, really? They are building a new cabin? I'm setting on the edge of my seat. :isadizzy:

Well, there is always Ice Pilots on the Weather channel. I like that one too.

:kilroy:

beana51
July 22nd, 2012, 14:23
Sounds like it was a Big Pay day for that Family...Smart move by Jim, Not getting younger!...''THERE ARE OLD PILOTS AND THERE ARE BOLD PILOTS,BUT THERE ARE NO OLD ,BOLD PILOTS"
Looking foward to the Re Runs.. For me ,it enhanced the "FLIGHTS" ALASKA!...This by bringing all those places in the Show onto my Desk top,and Fun Flying to all those remote strips!!!.Great Stuff!

aircav1970
July 22nd, 2012, 14:31

I really hate all the commercials too,that's why I use a nifty little thing called a "DVR"...record the show and skip thru the commercials!:cool:

TeaSea
July 22nd, 2012, 15:01
From an interview with him not long ago it was pretty Tweto was never enthusiastic about the program. He seemed to be a naturally private person, and was not comfortable with this type of exposure.

The program was part of an initiative by Ariel, who had been on some earlier programing and helped put this thing together. Like most programming like this, it is far more scripted than people think and characters are not normally as depicted in real life.

I will miss it but think it had probably run its course in this vein.

jbtate
July 22nd, 2012, 22:57
Considering the motives of the chick (said with much respect) with the fox friend who is living at a high latitude. Explorers are where they are at, of preference ...
jbtate

Odie
July 23rd, 2012, 10:22
Well, as much as I truly enjoyed the show, I'm glad the Tweto family is going to move towards another future. The birth and growth of ERA is truly amazing and Jim wants to take it to the next level and try something new. That's what it's all about anyways. A good run and I wish all of them the best in the future.

Lionheart
July 23rd, 2012, 18:15
One single show that I liked to watch. Now it is gone.

sigh.....

Gdavis101
July 23rd, 2012, 21:55
I will miss the show to, but did you notice that they featured a different company during the last episodes? Airventures or something like that, it kind of made me wonder if they might start a totally different show using them and maybe some of the Era fleet just minus the family... But, then again I might be over thinking it! DVR is the only way to go when it comes to shows on Discovery.

RyanJames170
July 23rd, 2012, 22:08
i wonder who runs it now?

yeah i liked that show alot as with ice pilots

Terry
July 24th, 2012, 03:33
Ice Pilots has a problem too. Joe hires a manager to modernize the fleet to turboprobs and talks about retirement.

Odie
July 24th, 2012, 06:30
Ice Pilots has a problem too. Joe hires a manager to modernize the fleet to turboprobs and talks about retirement.

Yeah I watched Ice Pilots last night and as with FWA, you have to wonder that after building a successful business in a tough environment as both shows
are based in, the builders (Jim and Joe) have to look around and say there's a life out there, too, outside of what success I've created. In Jim Tweto's case,
since Ariel is the youngest, maybe seeing her get her PPL was a signal to him that the nest may soon be empty and what good is having all the success if
you can't at last sit back and enjoy a bit of it.

In Buffalo Joe's case, maybe it's the fact that times are catching up and he realizes that modernizing the fleet is what's needed, but his heart is really with the older
aircraft.

stansdds
July 25th, 2012, 02:10
I guess these are true reality shows, showing the reality of aging, running a business, trying to keep up with technology and rising costs, and finally retiring.