PDA

View Full Version : Need the advice of the painters out there

AussieMan
July 22nd, 2012, 02:35
I am trying to do some repaints of a Lochkeed Hudson/Super Electra/ Lodestar but have run into a problem. A lot of the aircraft I want to do are Australian and have an unusual setup. They have been civilianised so that they have the cockpit of a Lodestar with the radios and switches above the pilot's head but still retain the nose of the military Hudson.

Using the template that comes with the paintkit I can get the windows to show but they are not transparent as they would be if I used the actual Hudson model. Herein lies another dilema. Using the MK IV Hudson model I get the nose guns and the turret. I am not experienced enough with GMax of FSDS to edit out the guns so I am running the the other version.

My question is this. How do I make the windows transparent?

I have enclosed some screen shots.

The first screenshot is of an actual Hudson and the last one shows the modified cockpit. The ones in between show what I have at the moment.

stiz
July 22nd, 2012, 02:56
you cant unfortunatly, even if you did you might not see anything behind them. You'll just have to try your best to make em look like windows i'm afraid

AussieMan
July 22nd, 2012, 03:08
That's what I thought :(.

gaucho_59
July 22nd, 2012, 05:09
That's what I thought :(.

Have you tried the Wright DXTBmp method? You export the texture to it... paint PURE green the windows... to make
them transparent... surround the inner edge with a neutral very light color, then back to reconvert...
and this has worked for me... as somebody pointed out... if there are no interior textures... then you get an odd looking
thing for it shows nothing inside... it is best to use a very light color... like this example I am enclosing and simulate
a glass texture... even paint curtains, and transparent glass over it... etc.
Excuse the crudeness of the texture, but I just did it in a couple of minutes... but you can get the idea...