PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from The FSNB Bluebirds

hecrowell
July 20th, 2012, 06:27
Hi to all who take a few minutes to read this.

My name is Harold Crowell,and I am from Saint John, New Brunswick - Canada. I have been involved in practically every way with FS since the 80's - actually even before it was owned by Microsoft and flourished a few years under a gentleman by yhre name of Bruce Artwick. My hat is off to Bruce for creating this software, and I am thinking that there is no possible way on earth that he could have even dreamed of its success!

The FSNB Bluebirds Visit us at: http://virtualbb.zzl.org Visit FSNB at: http://www.fsnb.ca
I first dreamed up the idea of formation flight after our group (FSNB) president asked us to think of a way to try to create some interest in flying with New Brunswickers (which is where fsnb.ca is based). Before I had much of a chance to persue this venture, I got involved with formation flying with the Virtual Snowbirds - first as line astern, then outer right wing then Opposing Solo. I sometimes think that I sucked so bad at formation flying that they were trying to position me in a spot that (1.) I could "keep my station" or (2.) Not be noticed too obviously if I didn't.
Suddenly some interest in the Bluebirds seemed to be increasing within the FSNB group and I left the VSB to persue and grow the Bluebirds Team. I hired two pilots, and we started to work out a routine. Only because I owned the "Company" and had some experience, It was suggested that I be flight lead. Then a third and fourth pilot weas added and finally in April, the 5th - all the way from Vancouver, BC. (Yes - I hire pilots now outside of FSNB)
Although when in the cockpit and the pins are pulled, we are as serious as we personally want to be, we have a good time - and this is exactly what this is all about in our group. Here are our priorities:

1. be serious enough to learn
2. be relaxed enough to fly as well as you are capable.
3, Do not impose stress upon yourself or your fellow pilots.
4. Attend the two-night-per-week practices faithfully (the "Boss" knows that sometimes, life gets in the way - understandable)
5. Help one another
6. Don't be afraid of mistakes: I you stop making mistakes, then you have nothing to learn (which would be in violation of priority 1).

I have not seen a practice go by since we began early in 2012 that we have not had a great time.
We have been invited to participate in the Anual Saint John Ex 2012 with our Lockheed T-33's where this year they are commemorating 100 years of powered flight in New Brunswick which began in 1912 with the flight of the Red Devil built by Thomas Baldwin in New York. The flight was made right here in Saint John, New Brunswick. The Bluebirds are in the process of putting together a "show" to be Livestreamed consisting of the Bluebirds (of course) interspersed with my own creation of the Red Devil, Saint John 410(Cougar) Squadron Mosquito fly by, Halifax or Lancaster flyby, and finally, a performance of Hawk3 of the Golden Hawks F86 Saber. The show will be approximately 30 minutes in duration and replay via the Livestream Autopilot from August 24 to Aug 31.

Are we a good team?
YES! - maybe not in flight, but we are strong and dedicated to the "cause" probably every bit as much as a real pilot on a real team. Our whole idea is to show the public that it is possible to fly the difficult and demanding routines of close proximity formatin flight, make a few mistakes, learn from them, and finally - HAVE A GREAT TIME DOING IT.

thanks for your time and interest
Thanks also to SOH for their co-operation and a place on their TeamSpeak3 server for our comms.

hecrowell
January 31st, 2017, 01:32
New name: FSX Bluebirds
New URL: http://fsxbluebirds.simplesite.com

Hi to all who take a few minutes to read this.

My name is Harold Crowell,and I am from Saint John, New Brunswick - Canada. I have been involved in practically every way with FS since the 80's - actually even before it was owned by Microsoft and flourished a few years under a gentleman by yhre name of Bruce Artwick. My hat is off to Bruce for creating this software, and I am thinking that there is no possible way on earth that he could have even dreamed of its success!

The FSNB Bluebirds Visit us at: http://virtualbb.zzl.org Visit FSNB at: http://www.fsnb.ca
I first dreamed up the idea of formation flight after our group (FSNB) president asked us to think of a way to try to create some interest in flying with New Brunswickers (which is where fsnb.ca is based). Before I had much of a chance to persue this venture, I got involved with formation flying with the Virtual Snowbirds - first as line astern, then outer right wing then Opposing Solo. I sometimes think that I sucked so bad at formation flying that they were trying to position me in a spot that (1.) I could "keep my station" or (2.) Not be noticed too obviously if I didn't.
Suddenly some interest in the Bluebirds seemed to be increasing within the FSNB group and I left the VSB to persue and grow the Bluebirds Team. I hired two pilots, and we started to work out a routine. Only because I owned the "Company" and had some experience, It was suggested that I be flight lead. Then a third and fourth pilot weas added and finally in April, the 5th - all the way from Vancouver, BC. (Yes - I hire pilots now outside of FSNB)
Although when in the cockpit and the pins are pulled, we are as serious as we personally want to be, we have a good time - and this is exactly what this is all about in our group. Here are our priorities:

1. be serious enough to learn
2. be relaxed enough to fly as well as you are capable.
3, Do not impose stress upon yourself or your fellow pilots.
4. Attend the two-night-per-week practices faithfully (the "Boss" knows that sometimes, life gets in the way - understandable)
5. Help one another
6. Don't be afraid of mistakes: I you stop making mistakes, then you have nothing to learn (which would be in violation of priority 1).

I have not seen a practice go by since we began early in 2012 that we have not had a great time.
We have been invited to participate in the Anual Saint John Ex 2012 with our Lockheed T-33's where this year they are commemorating 100 years of powered flight in New Brunswick which began in 1912 with the flight of the Red Devil built by Thomas Baldwin in New York. The flight was made right here in Saint John, New Brunswick. The Bluebirds are in the process of putting together a "show" to be Livestreamed consisting of the Bluebirds (of course) interspersed with my own creation of the Red Devil, Saint John 410(Cougar) Squadron Mosquito fly by, Halifax or Lancaster flyby, and finally, a performance of Hawk3 of the Golden Hawks F86 Saber. The show will be approximately 30 minutes in duration and replay via the Livestream Autopilot from August 24 to Aug 31.

Are we a good team?
YES! - maybe not in flight, but we are strong and dedicated to the "cause" probably every bit as much as a real pilot on a real team. Our whole idea is to show the public that it is possible to fly the difficult and demanding routines of close proximity formatin flight, make a few mistakes, learn from them, and finally - HAVE A GREAT TIME DOING IT.

thanks for your time and interest
Thanks also to SOH for their co-operation and a place on their TeamSpeak3 server for our comms.

Navy Chief
January 31st, 2017, 13:25
Most interesting! I sent you a message, if nothing else to commend you on your site, and say hi... NC:encouragement: