PDA

View Full Version : A piece of 80s nostalgia...WarGames

Rami
July 20th, 2012, 05:07
Good morning,

Poking around YouTube yesterday, I came across the 1983 movie WarGames. I couldn't help but be captivated and fascinated by noting the technology differences between the world of 1983 and today. Computers are so different, and Matthew Broderick looked so young in that film. It's amazing, in a sense, how simple the threat was in those days...it was the Russians, period.

It's also amazing how willing we are to believe what our computers tell us; Falken provides the sense of logic and reason that is so missing from today's world.

A couple of favorite moments...

Tic-tac-toe saved the world from nuclear destruction.

The line "I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would do any good; let the boy in there."

Jagdflieger
July 20th, 2012, 05:40
"Want to play thermo-nuclear war?"

That was a fun movie. Saw it with the wife at the theater when it first came out.

dmaloof
July 21st, 2012, 04:50
Brass sac, this is Crystal palace, I have 7, no correction 8 rebirds penetrating alaskan airspace

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.106552332759684.13896.100002147542181&type=3

dharry
July 21st, 2012, 17:03
Good morning,

Poking around YouTube yesterday, I came across the 1983 movie WarGames. I couldn't help but be captivated and fascinated by noting the technology differences between the world of 1983 and today. Computers are so different, and Matthew Broderick looked so young in that film. It's amazing, in a sense, how simple the threat was in those days...it was the Russians, period.

It's also amazing how willing we are to believe what our computers tell us; Falken provides the sense of logic and reason that is so missing from today's world.

A couple of favorite moments...

Tic-tac-toe saved the world from nuclear destruction.

The line "I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would do any good; let the boy in there."

I think it was November 8th 1983, we were really quite close to nuclear destruction for real. I believe it was because of the soviet misconception of NATO wargames.

limjack
July 21st, 2012, 18:04
War games inspired me to learn basic on my commodore 64. I remember making a simple program duplicating the Logon screen from wargames...lol. If you were able to logon (if you new my password) you had access to "bouncing ball" ( simply a ball that bounced off all edges of the computer screen...exciting..but it was to me at that time. Those were the days.

Great movie

Jim