PDA

View Full Version : Comparison

Dave Torkington
July 18th, 2012, 05:50
My buddies and I have recently spent most of our time flying around mainland Italy and Sardinia, and especially Capo Frasca range testing out the new Sim Skunkworks Harrier weapons.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see how much better the area round Decimomannu LIED looked in P3D compared to FSX. Ok, the P3D built in shaders do their job beautifully, but it was great to see the improvement in ground textures that showed the local towns and autogen buildings that better reflected real world in my opinion.

Both screenshots are taken on todays date - FSX looks a tad barren...

Thanks for looking :salute:

Dave.

OBIO
July 18th, 2012, 09:57
Dave

Are you sure you have your pics labeled correctly. The screen shot labeled FSX looks better than the one labeled P3D......at least to my eyes. More autogen trees and buildings, sharper ground textures, much nicer sky and clouds.

OBIO

n4gix
July 18th, 2012, 11:45
Dave

Are you sure you have your pics labeled correctly. The screen shot labeled FSX looks better than the one labeled P3D......at least to my eyes. More autogen trees and buildings, sharper ground textures, much nicer sky and clouds.

OBIO

I might have thought the same thing, save that the right-hand screen shot is watermarked in the upper right corner as being an "Academic License"...

I honestly prefer the FSX version for its more vibrant colors!

Dave Torkington
July 18th, 2012, 14:07
Dave

OBIO

I must be going cross eyed - I can see way more buildings [both as ground textures and autogen] in the distance and around the airfield in P3D than I can in FSX.

Personally, I prefer the deeper shades in P3D rather than the light sand colored areas in FSX, but that's just personal preference...

Sorry to just pick out this part of the world, but Deci and in fact Sardinia seem much improved in P3D. Just my opinion.

Dave :salute:

luckydog
July 18th, 2012, 14:30
I agree with Dave....FSX seems a little "washed out". I took a chance and added FScene to P3D and things reall popped !!

Naismith
July 18th, 2012, 15:41
Is that a true stock FSX though? Doesn't look it from my memory, remember those sickly caramel colored textures in remoter areas of the globe? Equally I don't like the cartoon blue sky of P3D, FsX's is superior there, at least in this example.
Actually I've stopped using P3D, I got peeved with the ATC window and the going straight to a flight and its quirky ALT Enter thing not always working, could not see any great leap from FSX, maybe once they update it, which they promise soon.

Roger
July 19th, 2012, 04:11
Looking at the first pair of shots, Dave I can definately see more detail in the P3D shot.

Lionheart
July 19th, 2012, 08:07
So long as it doesnt hop, blip, blink, turn pink, jitter, studder and turn black, its fine by me. ;)

stovall
July 20th, 2012, 06:31
So long as it doesnt hop, blip, blink, turn pink, jitter, studder and turn black, its fine by me. ;)

I'm with Bill, I make my scenery in FSX and fly in P3D for the performance and smoothness. The colors are more vibrant. Example are the pictures I posted as a preview for Truk Lagoon. Big difference in the colors.

I have noticed there are some problems with some objects and their effects within P3D. An example is the runway oil fire barrels. They just don't work in P3D. The smoke stays suspended in mid air with no fire. Small problem, I just remove the runway barrels.