PDA

View Full Version : Shellbacks

PRB
July 17th, 2012, 04:22
Apparently, the company that makes the nice big shellback certificates, Tiffany Publishing, can make you a down-loadable electronic version. That's pretty cool, especially if you lost yours along the way.

http://www.tiffanypublishing.com/certs/shellback.asp

If you visit the site, you will see that you must decide between the “traditional” and “revised” version of the certificate. I looked at both and could not see what the difference was. Then I read the note that read: "*Tradional [sic] version features traditionally clad mermaids. Revised version is exactly the same, but features more modestly clad mermaids." :icon_lol: :icon_eek:

I guess King Neptune received a navy directive informing him that "where as and forthwith, and according to our records, in terms of, you are hereby informed that, if your mermaids wish to be depicted on the U.S. Navy's Shellback certificate, they must wear proper and officially approved swim suit uniform clothing items." I guess mermaids only need the top bit.

Well, mine's the “traditional” version, so there!

Roadburner440
July 17th, 2012, 14:39
Thanks for the heads up PRB! I have always meant to get mine framed, but it got cumpled up inside of my love me container with all of my awards and stuff.

On the traditional one it is the "new" Navy after all. Which those of us in the Navy, or recently retired know all about.

Navy Chief
July 18th, 2012, 13:01
if your mermaids wish to be depicted on the U.S. Navy's Shellback certificate, they must wear proper and officially approved swim suit uniform clothing items." I guess mermaids only need the top bit.

Just another indication of how stupid and petty things are. I am fairly certain that CPO initiation is a pitiful joke now, compared to when I went through it in 87.

NC

Willy
July 18th, 2012, 13:20
I went through it in '89 and it was getting to be a joke the last couple of years before I retired in '97

N2056
July 18th, 2012, 19:50
I got mine 1 Jan 89...and it was still "old school" :eek:

Later I recall being on a tender in '93 (?) and as the LPO of my division having to attend the pre-game meeting during which all the rules of engagement were put out. My comment at the end was something to the effect of "He**. lets just do the steel beach cookout, hand out the certificates and call it good."

I carefully worded my Pirate shirt that night...

Politically Correct Shellback?!

NOT!!!

Just because it is a kinder & gentler Navy
does not mean that a greasy slimy bottom dweller

WOG

can't have a day that positively

SUCKS!!!

I remember the XO seeing it and grabbing a picture of my shirt 'cause he agreed with me. :icon_lol:

PRB
July 19th, 2012, 03:33
Went thought mine in 1989 too. It was an interesting and long day!

C2Aaircrew
July 19th, 2012, 22:40
Earned mine 17 April 1987. It is the 'old school' one w/ bare chests. Still even have my subpoena from the Royal Court with a long list of 'crimes' (all trumped up, I assure you). And yes, it was a long and interesting day and wet, and greasy, and wet, and loud, and did I mention wet? From what I hear it has really toned down considerably. Even when I returned to RTC as a Company Commander in '89, I didn't remember my CC having to be nice as we had to be to the recruits. Ahhh, the 'old' Navy.

FSX68
July 20th, 2012, 04:24
I went thru mine in 1964 as a Tin can Sailor on our way to Australia. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but
it was memoriable. As a wog, we ate breakfast "chow" with a knife (pork and beans) and then crawled
thru an olive drab chute that was lined with old food (and barf from the previous crawler)that was meant to be tossed out. The royal baby smeared thousand island salad dressing on his big fat belly and we had to kiss it.

But after it was all said and done, my little WWII era destroyer with crew of 250 pulled into a few small cow towns in northeast Australia. We were treated like rock stars then. If you wore your dress blues in town, your money was no good as the tram rides and the beer in the pubs were free. I heard that the three ports we pulled into back then, were not visited by a US man of war since WWII. Didn't care much for Port Morseby New Guinea. I am glad that I am the age that I am (old) cause it's a whole different culture out there.
Back then, I served in what I call the "Cast Iron Navy" instead of this PC Navy. Had no email, just mail call. No internet, just 16 MM movies ("flicks") to watch at night.

And that's the way is was.....:salute:

Carry on in the highest naval tradition!!

rpjkw
July 20th, 2012, 06:23
I got mine in 1953 and the certificate has long since disappeared. I was on 2 1/2, so my initiation was probably greatly modified.;)

Bob