PDA

View Full Version : Very Strange looking DC-3 cockpit, Just Flight Sim

Flame-Prop
July 17th, 2012, 03:45
What kind of bloody blueprints did Just Flight use to make their DC-3??? Was browsing through the images, and the cockpit looks like it would scare off clusterphobics, thats how small and cramped it is..... That leads to the next thing, the cockpit windows when you slide them open they are meant to be slide back not forwards o.O

stiz
July 17th, 2012, 03:58
after sitting in a real C47 i can assure you the cockpit is VERY snug!

Roger
July 17th, 2012, 04:15
Flame-prop that's why muliple images are viewable on their website, so if you don't like it you don't have to buy it!!

Also please note we don't accept that sort of attack in these forums, especially with profanity!

bushpilot
July 17th, 2012, 04:52
Looks quite cramped IRL, so JF probably got it right :engel016:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/7/0/7/2107707.jpg

roger-wilco-66
July 17th, 2012, 04:56
Flameprop, as Stiz said, that cockpit is actually very small. I also sat in a DC3 cockpit once and I was surprised. Compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-F-cBF5ZbQ&feature=related

There a some sequences that clearly show this. The two pilots in the vid must have been quite short, if I may add.

In FSX you can adjust your viewpoint a little by moving the camera and/or zooming out, by the way. That helps finding a comfortable spot.

Cheers,
Mark

Flame-Prop
July 17th, 2012, 05:11
Flame-prop that's why muliple images are viewable on their website, so if you don't like it you don't have to buy it!!

Also please note we don't accept that sort of attack in these forums, especially with profanity!

Sorry about that, I was very confused when I saw the deafuly DC-3 with soo much leg space, and Uiver Team's DC-2 had a very nice space there. Was the DC-3's cockpit modified a numerous ammount of times? There are lot of variants I though of the very very original model cockpit. Did also see MAAM-SIM' DC-3 with a more realistic "sized" cockpit

Didn't mean to sound like a raging thunderstorm, but It's an Ozzy thing

Warrant
July 17th, 2012, 05:17

Nice video!

I also sat in a DC-3 Cockpit once, and indeed a very tight working space it is.

Dain Arns
July 17th, 2012, 05:20
Flameprop, as Stiz said, that cockpit is actually very small. I also sat in a DC3 cockpit once and I was surprised. Compare:

There a some sequences that clearly show this. The two pilots in the vid must have been quite short, if I may add.

In FSX you can adjust your viewpoint a little by moving the camera and/or zooming out, by the way. That helps finding a comfortable spot.

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks for posting that, Mark.
I had seen that somewhere else, and have been wanting to watch it again.
Great aviation documentary.

Firekitten
July 17th, 2012, 05:54
Its tight in real life yes, but nowhere near that tight... JF's got the dimensions right, but forgot to consider eyepoint... in fs its a camera, not a human eye... the field of view is wider, so things look bigger. In JF's, it looks far too tiny. Plus yes, the windows are wrong. I don't like it myself... its shiny yes, its detailed, but not in the right ways, and the texture mapping is a nightmare, and if this post is considered an 'attack' oh well.

roger-wilco-66
July 17th, 2012, 06:52
Here's another one, note the short distance between the front windows and the pilots, and the deeply recessed instrument panel. I could imagine that this is very difficult to model in a sim aircraft to make it look right. If you stick close to the original, you have problems with the viewing angle and complaints that thing are hard to see or look distorted, if you don't you'll hear people whine that it's unrealistic. Oh well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QSv3Gs4FHU&feature=related

Love the plane anyhow. Hope Vertigo releases their version one day.

Cheers,
Mark

Ferry_vO
July 17th, 2012, 07:22
Sorry about that, I was very confused when I saw the deafuly DC-3 with soo much leg space, and Uiver Team's DC-2 had a very nice space there. Was the DC-3's cockpit modified a numerous ammount of times? There are lot of variants I though of the very very original model cockpit. Did also see MAAM-SIM' DC-3 with a more realistic "sized" cockpit

All a matter of the field of view and the eyepoint. In the real DC-2 you only see the front window if you look straight ahead; if you want to see the gauges you will need to look down. In Fs we can zoom out to get a wider view which isn't possible in real life. That cockpit really is very small!

Roger
July 17th, 2012, 08:55

Didn't mean to sound like a raging thunderstorm, but It's an Ozzy thing

I appreciate the apology:applause:

Lionheart
July 17th, 2012, 10:39
And if you think that is small, try sitting in a B-17! Man, I would have never thought they were that small inside.

bushpilot
July 17th, 2012, 11:17

Ooo, that was great vid. I love that kind of stuff! Thanks:salute:

FSX68
July 17th, 2012, 11:58

Cheers,
Mark

Very interesting video...Amazed at the crude maintenance procedures they take down there to fix
and airplane. Low over head for maintenance = cheap plane tickets one would think.

At any rate, that cockpit room about the same as front seat/dash of a VW beetle (BUG). Pilot/copilot
pretty close to one another, At close quarters in the cockpit, you must feel like you worked out but want to smell like you didn't. I wouldn't want to pull the pilots index finger if he asked. LOL. :icon_lol:

Bone
July 17th, 2012, 12:33
And if you think that is small, try sitting in a B-17! Man, I would have never thought they were that small inside.

That's the first thing I thought of when I started reading this thread. I've sat in both the B-17 and DC-3, but I remember the DC-3 being a much tighter fit.

roger-wilco-66
July 17th, 2012, 13:06
Very interesting video...Amazed at the crude maintenance procedures they take down there to fix
and airplane. Low over head for maintenance = cheap plane tickets one would think.

At any rate, that cockpit room about the same as front seat/dash of a VW beetle (BUG). Pilot/copilot
pretty close to one another, At close quarters in the cockpit, you must feel like you worked out but want to smell like you didn't. I wouldn't want to pull the pilots index finger if he asked. LOL. :icon_lol:

rofl rofl !!

About the crude maintenance procedure, did you guys notice how the engine was fixed?? The motor on the little trolley and the workshop with the power outage? I'm not laughing at that, mind you. The engines are surely in capable hands and these guys know the dope on these machines. It's just the conditions under which they have to keep them working. Says a lot about the ruggedness of the design. I'm sure you could forget operating a 737 under these conditions.

Cheers,
Mark

Flame-Prop
July 17th, 2012, 14:34

My favorite the B-17 :kilroy: A2A Simulations gave plenty of leg space, it was kind of them. While wondering though the Images, it's like King sized Lazy boy recliner chair...... a dream cloud

RyanJames170
July 17th, 2012, 17:50
just to add i know for a fact a man over 6' 2" cant fly in the DC-3 very comftrable.. when this tub was made the tall guys were 5' 8 to 5' 10"

roger-wilco-66
July 17th, 2012, 23:14
That seems to be the case with many old aircraft from that time, and even later.
I once squeezed my frame (I'm 6ft2) into an AN-2 Colt cockpit. Thought that thing was designed for dwarfes.

On the other hand, the real T-6 was quite comfortable, and some later navy fighters like the F4U or F6F as well as the P-47 are reported to be quite roomy.

Cheers,
Mark

Flame-Prop
July 18th, 2012, 05:19
I got the "original" dc-3 on my mind a lot here. I think JF modeled in a modern version of the DC-3....MAAM Sim modeled in the "original" dc-3......the DC-3 that I keep fantasizing about is the one which looks like the DC-3 from Ice Pilots. Which has the leather insulation and the "old school" cockpit layout and instrumentation with fair space on that seat. That's what I think dissapointed me that I was hopeing JF's DC-3 would of been that DC-3. MAAM Sim had the right things but need it the HD texture featured like JF's DC-3 :isadizzy:

More Here
http://www.icepilots.com/fleet_dc3.php

ShawnG
July 18th, 2012, 07:20
I got the "original" dc-3 on my mind a lot here. I think JF modeled in a modern version of the DC-3....MAAM Sim modeled in the "original" dc-3......the DC-3 that I keep fantasizing about is the one which looks like the DC-3 from Ice Pilots. Which has the leather insulation and the "old school" cockpit layout and instrumentation with fair space on that seat. That's what I think dissapointed me that I was hopeing JF's DC-3 would of been that DC-3. MAAM Sim had the right things but need it the HD texture featured like JF's DC-3 :isadizzy:

More Here
http://www.icepilots.com/fleet_dc3.php

Just flight did NOT model a modern version of the VC, they modeled an old school version of the VC as it might have been the day it rolled out of the factory in the 30's-40's. what you're looking for it seems, is an old cockpit that's been beat up for 75 years. lol the sperry autopilot in the JF version is not a modern feature!

RyanJames170
July 18th, 2012, 08:15
Also In Ice pilots that is a WWII C-47 so it is probaly somewhat difrent from a 30's DC-3 not to mention those guys probaly have chaged things up alot to keep flying it every day.

Just Flight dose have a Demo of there DC-3 if u guys wana look it over lol. IMO its just lacking better textures on the cockpit witch probaly cold be changed actualy i dont think its much difrent then messing with Any other external repaint lol. sadly u would be able to mess with the gages but i dont think that is a bad problem u know.

i think bufflow air has alot of the insterments updated though. becuse im sure the old ones have since died in the 32 years Joe has had the airline or they opted to chaged them for ezier to read ones like you would find in a cessna or beachcraft.

ShawnG
July 18th, 2012, 08:47
and that pic of the Buffalo cockpit clearly shows a GPS and modern radio stack, not sure I would call that an old school cockpit.

Flame-Prop
July 18th, 2012, 20:48
I mean the thing I notices is that Ice Pilots DC-3 has leather Insulation but the JF DC 3 is like can in there

Ian Warren
July 19th, 2012, 03:33
I mean the thing I notices is that Ice Pilots DC-3 has leather Insulation but the JF DC 3 is like can in there

You will find every DC-3 is so different , over the changing years so did they and were not kitted out with Arctic or Antarctic insulation , of what what you may normally see is sound matts buttoned in , many also used the old .. or recent batts thermo packs against heavy wall board card , ..... light fluffy warm and sound proved .

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

TeaSea
July 19th, 2012, 09:10
All aircraft are generally tight.....there are exceptions of course, but at just over 6'2" I can just barely squeeze into some of these. Both the B-17 and DC-3 require a general level of yoga like gymnastics for me to get planted in either seat. The hardest part of flying my Piper is getting into the seat. I fly right seat in an RV7 that I don't even want to discuss.....(good once you're in, but again don't let down your yoga instructor).

One of my consistent complaints (albiet minor) is that modellers tend to make the cockpits appear too large, or the simulated pilot too small (the defaul MS aircraft are particularly bad for that).

Flame-Prop
July 19th, 2012, 19:58
One of my consistent complaints (albiet minor) is that modellers tend to make the cockpits appear too large, or the simulated pilot too small (the defaul MS aircraft are particularly bad for that).

:ichile:That's the hot spot right there, I almost burned myself :ichile: I could not belive how much leg space there is the default DC-3

dandog
July 19th, 2012, 22:12
OK, I have been looking at DC-3's on the web. Some have six panel windscreens, some have 4 panel wind screens (2 small panels in front and one larger on the side versus one long narrow panel in front and one larger one on the side). What's the deal, really.

Thank you for any info.

Daniel

TeaSea
July 20th, 2012, 15:42
I think I lost my virginity getting into the RV-7.