PDA

View Full Version : Oh No!!!

TARPSBird
July 14th, 2012, 23:19
Installed a new video card to get better performance (frame rates) in FSX, specifically my Aerosoft PBY's. New card works fine and FR's are much improved but...
When I started up FSX I selected the Aerosoft Midway PBY and got an error box saying "Oh no, that's not the right aircraft!" (see pic). Anybody ever see that before??? When I clear the error box I can still fly the plane but the windscreen is black and there are no textures in the cockpit. If I select the other Aerosoft PBY's there's no error, just the Midway PBY. Exited FSX and restarted and same error box comes up. Anybody have a solution?

Geomitrak
July 15th, 2012, 01:07
It is a known problem, and I have it too. Have a look on the Aerosoft support forum for Catalina X. Can't link you to it, but if you scroll down on the first page there is a thread about this problem.

Naismith
July 15th, 2012, 11:05
And I thought I had seen just about every error message that FSX could throw out at me....... That's a new one.
I recently opted for a total reinstall of FSX, for some reason and I never did work out what it was, the select aircraft screen would take upwards of 5 minutes to appear, and the airport selection, similarly took a long time. The odd thing was that this was only from the basic pre-flight menu screen. If once I got into a flying situation, I could change a/c or location virtually instantly. But once I had ended a flight and returned to the basic menu, again the long wait would occur. It wasn't as if I had huge amounts of a/c or scenery installed either. ANyway, format, reinstall defrag etc 3 weeks ago and I am now just about back where I started and the issue seems resolved.
Whew! That took some typing....

P38man
July 15th, 2012, 16:50
And I thought I had seen just about every error message that FSX could throw out at me....... That's a new one.
I recently opted for a total reinstall of FSX, for some reason and I never did work out what it was, the select aircraft screen would take upwards of 5 minutes to appear, and the airport selection, similarly took a long time. The odd thing was that this was only from the basic pre-flight menu screen. If once I got into a flying situation, I could change a/c or location virtually instantly. But once I had ended a flight and returned to the basic menu, again the long wait would occur. It wasn't as if I had huge amounts of a/c or scenery installed either. ANyway, format, reinstall defrag etc 3 weeks ago and I am now just about back where I started and the issue seems resolved.
Whew! That took some typing....

My understanding is that is caused by an addon aircraft (more likely freeware and can be AI) and in most cases can be fixed by unpacking CAB files (from memory) although I just d-leeted the offending plane.

Simply make a directory on your desktop and drag all your freeware aircraft back to it (another one for helichoppers). Drag the top half there. Run FSX - if it is slow then you know there is a problem in that half. Take out that half and put back the other half. Check again...if not slow then bag that 50% is OK. Rinse and repeat.

Solved it for me.

Naismith
July 15th, 2012, 22:11
Thanks for that, too late for me now but I have copied your text into my "problem solving" file for future reference. :medals:

skulleader
July 16th, 2012, 03:46
Hello,

Here one explanation from Aerosoft forum: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/45673-fsx-catalina-oh-no-thats-not-the-right-aircraft-error/

Best regards, Olivier.

TARPSBird
July 18th, 2012, 00:28
After I started this thread I took a second look at the Aerosoft PBY selections and noticed there were two versions of the Midway PBY-5A "Navy 4" with the torpedo: one of the selections in the PBY-5A Military aircraft folder, and another with its own dedicated aircraft folder. It was the one with its own folder that was causing the "Oh No!" error so I deleted it and kept the one in the multiple version folder. I think the faulty plane may have been an artifact from an earlier release of the PBY package. Then I added a "no torpedo" version of Navy 4 to the aircraft.cfg file using the Navy 4 textures and Navy 84's .mdl file and I was back to 16 different PBY choices. Aerosoft really did a super job on these PBY's, I can go droning around for hours in these things just enjoying the landscape and the external views of the planes.