PDA

View Full Version : More on the search for Amelia

Willy
July 13th, 2012, 13:58
Nothing definite, but they're building a case.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/13/amelia-earhart-beauty-case-found-new-clues-in-mystery/

Rami
July 13th, 2012, 14:33
Willy,

Richard Gillespie made the same assertion back in the late 1980s. It is possible that he is correct...I've also followed his search for L' Oiseau Blanc near Machias, Maine. That is supposedly the presumed crash site for Nungesser and Coli.

glh
July 13th, 2012, 20:28
They are going to have to do a LOT better than circumstantial evidence involving beauty cases and cosmetics. They will need some human remains to link with DNA and/or find some parts of the whole plane that can be confirmed by serial numbers. This should be treated just like an attempt to identify aircraft and MIAs from WW2 and Vietnam.

Interesting link on "Credible aircraft signals for 5 days after declared missing". In a few of the books I have read claiming she was on a secret mission to overfly the Japanese occupied islands in the Central Pacific, the authors have mentioned these signals. One would think that if she could get a signal out, she would repeatedly state their estimated position. From what I have read, Fred Noonan was an outstanding navigator for the Pacific Ocean. He certainly would have been able to give her a best estimate of their position -- unless he were killed or rendered unconscious.

I hope the mystery is solved before I leave this world. Maybe they need to get Robert Ballard & Clive Cussler involved -- they were the fellows who found the TITANIC and the CSS HUNLEY respectively.

SOH Developer
July 14th, 2012, 12:01
Find her Electra............Please, then make solving the mystery claim!

I always love the look of the 1930s Electra!

Willy
July 14th, 2012, 12:05
I doubt they'll find a data plate after all this time under saltwater. Besides another group claims that an Australian army patrol in the deep jungle on New Britain during WwII found an older wrecked twin engine aircraft that one of the engine data plate info traced back to Amelia's Electra. So far no one has ever found that wreck again either.

glh
July 14th, 2012, 21:04
http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Overview/AEhypothesis.html#3

First 4 paragraphs of the TIGHAR Hypothesis (Summer 2009):

Roughly twenty hours into the flight, and with somewhere between three and four hours of fuel remaining, Earhart and Noonan have been unable to make visual or two-way radio contact with Howland Island. They implement the only procedure available to them which will minimize the chance of having to land the aircraft in the sea: they proceed southeastward on a course of 157 degrees. Go there.

Shortly before noon, the aircraft is landed successfully on the reef-flat at Gardner Island at or near low tide on the smooth stretch of coral just north of the S.S. Norwich City, the ship that ran aground there in 1929. Go there.

That evening, the aircraft’s radio is used to send distress calls. Go there.

By a week later, rougher seas and increased surf on the reef have forced Earhart and Noonan to abandon the aircraft which is now obscured from view at high tide. The castaways seek shelter from the sun in the dense bush inland and come upon a cache of provisions left behind by the rescuers of the Norwich City survivors eight years earlier. When search planes from the USS Colorado are heard overhead on the morning of July 9th, Earhart and Noonan are unable to reach the open beach in time to be seen. If anything of the airplane was visible through the surf, its proximity to the Norwich City leads the searchers to dismiss it as debris from the shipwreck. Go there.
================================================
Notice the reference to "a cache of provisions left behind by the rescuers of the Norwich City survivors eight years earlier". A successful rescue effort of survivors would surely contain a reference to the Latitiude/Longitude position of the Norwich City. This info would certainly be in the possession of the ships owners, insurance company, ship loss statisticians ans so forth.

It is too bad Earhart did not mention "Wreck of Steamship Norwich City located at our crash site. We can see it." That should have given the searchers her location following some quick 24-48 hour research on the Norwich City records.

Ah, well, a lot of "What If's" and "Should have Done's" in this mystery.

beana51
July 15th, 2012, 03:33
The search goes on,dear Amelia now growing into a Myth and a Hero...What possibly can they find?. Bits and Pieces ?....Amelia is not there of course,but in a higher place......There she continues to inspire both men and women to reach out
and to Follow their Bliss...She will always be a a part of the story of Aviation...

http://news.discovery.com/history/amelia-earhart-fate-recontructed-120713.html

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/tallmantz-6a.jpg
<tbody>

</tbody>

SSI01
July 15th, 2012, 06:53
Agree with the need to find the aircraft, that will cinch things if anything can be identified thru data plates or a "one-off" build for her flight. Incontrovertible physical evidence is everything. I seem to recall seeing somewhere in at least one (alleged) received radio transmission reference was made by the female voice heard in the transmission to what sounded like "New York City;" in reality this voice was undoubtedly referring to "Norwich City." You wonder why no one was informed of this (it was allegedly dismissed as "crank") and a check made with Lloyd's of London to see if a ship with a name approximating that had been lost in that general vicinity. As it turns out, it certainly was.

Question - if one overlays her projected track over a chart of Japanese possessions in the Pacific Ocean in 1937, what islands does she come near - or at least within photographic range of?

robert41
July 15th, 2012, 14:23
A great many theories, but very few facts about Earhart's last flight. All we have are some radio tranmissions, and many of those are being second guessed. It would be great news if Tighar found something substantial. As far as the "spying" theory goes, I highly doubt it. Her flight plan, or what we think was her flight plan, was well south of the Japanese Mandate.

brad kaste
July 15th, 2012, 20:33
...The rumor has it that Fred Noonan, who liked an occasional stiff drink,....knew where a particular Pacific island jungle bar was located. They landed safely. Today,..Amelia, Fred and a flock of dodo birds hang around pouring themselves endless Singapore Slings and Mai Tais.