PDA

View Full Version : 50 Years of The Rolling Stones

Mickey D
July 13th, 2012, 01:53
50 magic years of the Stones. THE best R&B and Rock & Roll band ever. They improve with age like a fine wine. C'mon Your Maj let's have knighthoods for Keef ( he may accept it now), Charlie, Ronnie, and Bill too. :medals:

With a bit of luck I might actually get to a gig before they retire. They could be in wheelchairs and zimmers though.

stansdds
July 13th, 2012, 03:08
I'm surprised they actually lived this long, much less stayed together.

glh
July 13th, 2012, 07:57
50 magic years of the Stones. THE best R&B and Rock & Roll band ever. They improve with age like a fine wine. C'mon Your Maj let's have knighthoods for Keef ( he may accept it now), Charlie, Ronnie, and Bill too. :medals:

With a bit of luck I might actually get to a gig before they retire. They could be in wheelchairs and zimmers though.

Ditto. They ARE the best R&B and Rock & Roll band ever. I am hoping to get to a concert myself but I'll bet we pay through the nose.

And if George Thorogood and the Destroyers ever show up near you, GO see them. You won't be disappointed there, either.

Milton Shupe
July 13th, 2012, 08:25
As much as I liked their early music (not necessarily the words-I have lots of their music), I certainly would not want anyone who lived and promoted a drug culture to be honored in such a way. Leave the honors to be awarded to the music industry and knighthood for the those who made positive contributions to society and culture, IMO. These guys, as talented as they are, should not be role models for productive, upstanding young citizens of the world.

Willy
July 13th, 2012, 08:48
I'm with Milton. Yes they're talented, but talent doesn't excuse everything.

Tako_Kichi
July 13th, 2012, 08:58
As much as I liked their early music (not necessarily the words-I have lots of their music), I certainly would not want anyone who lived and promoted a drug culture to be honored in such a way. Leave the honors to be awarded to the music industry and knighthood for the those who made positive contributions to society and culture, IMO. These guys, as talented as they are, should not be role models for productive, upstanding young citizens of the world.
Ahh but ignoring the Stones is creating a case of double standards Milton. McCartney was knighted and the Beatles promoted drug culture in the 60's way more than the Stones did.

They deserve to be recognized like all the others before and after them, after all their music was far better than the Beatles anyway! As to their lyrics I have always found the Stones to be more edgy, honest and in many cases eye-opening than the sugar coated pap 'L & M' produced.

If you grew up in the 60's in the UK there were two distinct 'camps' you either liked the Beatles or you liked the Stones and there was no common ground where you could like both (although the bands themselves were great friends and often collaborated on each others work, the Stones would drop by the Abbey Road studios when the Beatles were recording and vice versa).

I am happy to have been a Stones fan for most of my life, long may they continue.

Milton Shupe
July 13th, 2012, 09:38
I was/am a huge Beatles and Stones music fan; always have been. Just do not think that just because the Beatles were wrongly knighted that the mistake should be repeated. But, I do not make the rules for Knighthood nor must I defend the awardees for the truly deserving of the past. :-)

stansdds
July 14th, 2012, 04:02
And don't forget that Elton John used drugs and prefers an "alternative lifestyle" and he was knighted.

No, I am not promoting any such activities, but the point is that leading a clean life is not a requirement for being knighted.

cheezyflier
July 14th, 2012, 05:31
the stones haven't put out a decent record since 1978, with some girls. lots of rolling stones fans like to overlook the fact that they made alot of music that just flat out sucks. at their age, it's not rebellious rock and roll anymore. now it's pantomime. as for lonesome george, he's from newark delaware, that's my hometown. i'd met him several times in the 70's and 80's. at least back then he wasn't a pleasant fellow.
he is a pretty good ball player though.

Naismith
July 14th, 2012, 13:07
Never been that much of a fan, so when they played live at Wembley Stadium in 1988 (I think it was ) I thought I better take this opportunity to say that I saw them before they hung up their instruments and retired. 1988! They were pretty good all in all.

Milton the Beatles weren't knighted, they got OBE's. All silly hangovers from the days of empire.

Tako_Kichi
July 14th, 2012, 13:41
Milton the Beatles weren't knighted, they got OBE's. All silly hangovers from the days of empire.
The Beatles as a whole weren't knighted but Paul McCartney was knighted on March 11, 1997.

lemonadedrinker
July 14th, 2012, 15:14
Hi all,

I am now 65 and have the hair to prove it. Jagger's hair looks younger now than it did then. We went to the 'gig' in hyde park where we were to pay 2 shillings for an ice cream!! I seem to remember thinking it was rubbish.

At the weekends in the early sixties we used to go and see the greatest rhythm and blues bands in england, perhaps the world at places like the marquee and the 100 club etc etc. These bands did not include the rolling stones I'm sorry to say. They did include the yardbirds and eric clapton and jeff beck! the downliners sect, graham bond organisation and long john baldry! Rod stewart used to fill in as I recall when the bands went off for a drink. Also got to see real bluesmen....champion jack dupree, son house, skip james, bukka white, sonny terry and brownie mcghee, sonny boy williamson, jesse fuller etc etc. you could turn up somewhere like the half moon in putney and get your brain fried by the greatest loudest music on earth or maybe catch queen ida or the furey brothers.The rolling stones were a band for the TV audience..an ersatz quality to it with mick prancing about banging a tambourine. gimme a break, as they say.

We met Jo-Ann Kelly one night at about 2 in the morning when she was coming back from playing in Bunjies off the charing cross road and we sat outside the old midland bank in streatham high street listening to her play the blues for the two of us until we were all moved on by a passing copper!

Anyway that's quite enough of that for one night.

All the best!

Andy.

pilottj
July 14th, 2012, 15:21
Yeah the Stones are great. I always liked those bands that really honored their blues roots. :salute:
This was a great jam, the Stones and Clapton with John Lee Hooker standing in. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u37Y5L24KGw

Here is a higher quality link, but without Mick's intro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi0D9JizqWw

Cheers
TJ

Tako_Kichi
July 14th, 2012, 15:29
This was a great jam, the Stones and Clapton with John Lee Hooker standing in. :)
Nice! :applause: