PDA

View Full Version : question about starting FSX

Daveroo
July 12th, 2012, 07:33
i know that "cheat" we wont discuss is wrong and i removed it,so i now leave my disc in one my my three DVD players,,i have two built in to my tower,and a third one that is USB,i have the FSX disc in the DVD player,and leave the DVD/RW open,along with the USB open.
ive gone into the FSX disc and right clicked on the .exe and sent the shortcut to my desktop and then moved it to my toolbar,,,,this has worked for a long time,,,BUT it took forever to load,and reciently,after having worked on my FSX files to "speed it up" i was still noticing it was slow as a overturned turtle in a mudbog ,i hit crtl/alt/dele to get out of it and close it ,,and saw (program not responding)...i played around a bit and got it over and over,then i got the brite idea to right click on the icon ,select "run as administrator" and a window pops up and asks me if i want to proceed,i click ok or allow i think,,,and FSX starts in seconds....
anyone know why this does this?

i have vista 32 bit

Dangerous Beans
July 12th, 2012, 09:53
Why are you leaving the disc in the drive Dave ?
FS9 needed a nocd to run without the disc but FSX never has, put those disc away somewhere safe before they get scratched.

falcon409
July 12th, 2012, 10:05
Why are you leaving the disc in the drive Dave ?
FS9 needed a nocd to run without the disc but FSX never has, put those disc away somewhere safe before they get scratched.

lol, Yep Dave, FS9 was the only one that required you to leave a disc in the drive for it to run correctly. FSX got rid of that requirement. DB's right, put em all away somewhere safe.:running:

Daveroo
July 12th, 2012, 11:59
oh.......all this time........:isadizzy:......but what about why its doing the "not responding" thing?

falcon409
July 12th, 2012, 12:08
Getting that "not responding" just means it's hung. . .not sure why and maybe FSX doesn't even know for sure. When you get that, open the task manager, go to "processes", locate the FSX program. . .click on it and click "end process". When it hangs up like that, it may go away eventually, but you could go take a break and eat dinner before that happens, so shutting it down via task manager is a lot quicker. If it does this all the time, even after you took the FSX disc out of the drive, then I'd look at whatever it was you did to make FSX run faster, lol. It may be that something you either moved or removed is what FSX is looking for or requires to be in a specific location and it's hanging because it can't locate it. Just a thought.

IanHenry
July 12th, 2012, 12:38
Dave, you could try a repair of FSX.

Regards,
Ian.

cheezyflier
July 12th, 2012, 13:25
also, i don't know if you use it or not but ken salter's Alacrity PC is an awesome program that really helps with fsx on my old computer.