PDA

View Full Version : In Game Missions

Dataman
July 11th, 2012, 15:30
To All,

I have a questions concerning the default missions that come with the game.

Although most times I get slaughtered, there are a few occasions when I am actually able to survive and do well.

I have noticed that if you exceed the mission expectations, it will end shortly there after, regardless if you can still fight or not.

Is there any way to change this so that you can continue to fly?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Sincerely,

Data / Kris

Allen
July 11th, 2012, 19:16
The single player mission? They shut down after you do the needed mission goal"s".

kdriver
July 12th, 2012, 01:04
Hi Kris,

You can change the missions using Mission Builder or, more quickly, open the .dyn files with Notepad and hand edit those files directly. Simply delete all triggers, events and actions pertaining to terminating the mission. These items have a logical numbering system. If you study those files, you'll see what I mean. You just have to be careful you don't delete a number which controls some other event in the mission.

Kevin

Dataman
July 12th, 2012, 03:46
Thank you Kevin! :jump:

I will study a mission later today and get back to you with any questions.

Dataman
July 12th, 2012, 04:09
Hi Kevin!

I am pasting a partial bit of code from one mission:

================================================== ================
#
# TRIGGERS
#
trigger id 1
{
name "Random 33"
random eq 33
}
trigger id 2
{
name "Random 50"
random eq 50
}
trigger id 19
{
name "Player Downs 2"
unit 6000
aircraft_killed ge 2
}
trigger id 29
{
name "Leaving Combat Area"
unit 6000
area outside id 27
}
trigger id 30
{
name "Left Combat Area"
unit 6000
area leave id 26
}

================================================== ================

What I have bolded and underlined would be what needs to be deleted, correct?

Cody Coyote
July 12th, 2012, 05:34
Hand editing the mission will work well and is done frequently by experienced mission builders to save time. But, if you are new to it I would recommend you use the Mission Builder to get a better overall sense of how missions are built. The graphical interface of MB helps you visualize what is happening in the building/editing process. It also reduces errors over hand editing for beginners. You can easily see the goals that end the stock missions and remove or modify them to suit your playing style.

Dataman
July 12th, 2012, 09:15
Thank you Cody!

As I always make backups of my files before making any changes, I am never afraid to attempt manual changes.

That being said, I did try the CFS2 Mission Editor and wanted to know how does one determine the triggers that end the mission?

I sampled 2 Ace Missions and each had a different amouint of triggers, some of them understandable, some of them not, but I could not tell which triggers would specifically end the mission?

Is it any of them?

kdriver
July 12th, 2012, 10:26
Hi Kris,

I find it's easier to work backwards in the dyn file. For example in Bauer's mission, under "actions" you have:

action id 55
{
type debrief_text
string "Congratulations! You met the challenge, as Joe Bauer did."
}
action id 56
{
type text
string "Goal has been achieved!"
}
action id 57
{
type delay
}
action id 58
{
type sound
file "tr058"
flags priority
}
action id 59
{
type delay
}
action id 60
{
type text
string "This mission is being terminated"
}
action id 61
{
type delay
}
action id 62
{
type text
string "This mission is being terminated"
}
action id 63
{
type delay
}
action id 64
{
type end_mission
}

Delete all of this then go up (backwards) to "events" and delete the event with the corresponding action id numbers:

event id 40
{
name "Ace Downs 4 Vals"
input id 38
action { id 55 id 56 id 57 id 58 id 59 id 60 id 61 id 62 id 63 id 64 }
flags goal
desc ""
}

Delete this then go up to "trigger" and delete the trigger with the corresponding input id number:

trigger id 38
{
name "Ace Downs 4 Vals"
unit 6000
aircraft_killed ge 4
}

In the stock missions the mission is also terminated when you leave the combat area. If you don't want that to happen, then the procedure is the same as above. Good luck.

Dataman
July 12th, 2012, 10:29
Thank you Kevin!

Will give it a go!

Cody Coyote
July 13th, 2012, 05:54
It's the Event that ends the mission, not the Trigger. It's easy to figure out which event(s) will end the Ace missions. Open any of the missions in Mission Builder and click on the EVENTS icon. Look for events with titles such as "Player has left" or "Down 3 fighters". Highlight one of those then click Edit to open the event. In the Actions window, scroll down to the bottom of the In Use window. If you see the command "End mission", then you know that event is one of the ones that will end your mission. You can then look above in the Triggers In use window to see which trigger or triggers will cause that event to occur. You can easily stop the automatic ending by removing the "End Mission" command, or deleting the event, or any number of other ways.

As I recall, the stock Ace's missions all end one of two ways, either by you downing a certain number of planes or by you leaving the combat area.

You might find my Mission Building Handbook helpful if you want to delve deeper into mission building. You can find it on this page: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=49