PDA

View Full Version : 747 space shuttle shuttle pilot,"ace" Beale,near me

Daveroo
July 11th, 2012, 06:24
Arthur "Ace" Beale,of Colfax California,was the PIC on the 747 which flew the space shuttle that did the fly over of the US capitol ( washington DC) ......and i guess endevor? is going to los angeles? im not sure of whats happening here ,,but he stated just a minute ago,that when the shuttle is taken to LA,it will over fly sacramento,then san fransico,and then on to Los Angeles,

just blows my mind as to all the cool pilots in my area,from yeager and anderson,to al white ( now deciesed)but i played golg with his dad back in the day,and ex-skunk works employees,who worked on the SR71,and then the first SR71 pilot was the brother inlaw of a friend of my fathers...

PS...check goodday sacramento .com and look for the videos of this guys interviews

fliger747
July 13th, 2012, 19:06
The shuttle carrier is apparently an ancient 747-100 late of American Airlines. Not sure of the flight envelope but understand that they stay at or below 250 knots and 10,000 ft. Looks as if there would be a lot of roll inertia and somewhat reduced x wind stability. I have flown the Dreamlifter 747 variant which probably has as much lateral area but otherwise streamlined for what it is, and surprisingly capable, at of course reduced weights.

It would be interesting to hear about it's differences.

T