PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting Prepar3D; A coupleof questions

jmig
July 10th, 2012, 17:16
I am considering purchasing a second SSD and a copy of Prepar3D, However, I have a couple of questions I have not seen mentioned in the forums.

1 As I understand it Prepar3D is better at multi-display systems than FSX. Does anyone have any experience with this? I currently use two projectors in FSX. However, the normal 90 degrees is just spread over the eight foot wide combined display. I have a third projector, but I have never used it because of this. Will Prepar3D allow me to open up the scene to a wider view over three monitors or projectors?

2. What about having FSX and Prepar3D running on the same computer. How do you get the add-ons to work with both? Install them twice? Can you do that? My FSX setup runs off of two computers and is quite complex. I would want to migrate over slowly, testing each change over, while keeping it running on FSX.

Thanks,

Lionheart
July 10th, 2012, 20:59
I am considering purchasing a second SSD and a copy of Prepar3D, However, I have a couple of questions I have not seen mentioned in the forums.

1 As I understand it Prepar3D is better at multi-display systems than FSX. Does anyone have any experience with this? I currently use two projectors in FSX. However, the normal 90 degrees is just spread over the eight foot wide combined display. I have a third projector, but I have never used it because of this. Will Prepar3D allow me to open up the scene to a wider view over three monitors or projectors?

2. What about having FSX and Prepar3D running on the same computer. How do you get the add-ons to work with both? Install them twice? Can you do that? My FSX setup runs off of two computers and is quite complex. I would want to migrate over slowly, testing each change over, while keeping it running on FSX.

Thanks,

Hey John,

I can help with question two. Think of P3 as being like a new sim. You install your add ons to it directly. However, with scenery add ons, you simply activate them and 'locate' them in the sim and so they can link directly over to FSX. But, with some airfields like ORBX have, you will need the Migrator to bring over key DLL files and things into the sim.

A lot of people like Redbird and others have enjoyed the performance enhancements with P3. Some pro sim groups that build up cockpits will use 3 to 5 screens plus their modules, and P3 seems to run them well, from what I have been observing. I have an iMac linked to a 42" LCD TV. I do not think that counts.

Anyways, hope you find the answers you are looking for. There are a lot of forum posts at P3 in the Hardware section that talk a lot on linking to multi screen units.

Bill
LHC

ZEUS67
July 12th, 2012, 10:37

Thanks,

Depends on what type of setup you want to do.

P3D is optimized to use multithread: one master machine with several slave ones. The configuration is explained in the SDK. No purchase is needed to download the P3D SDK so you can see if it fits your needs.

jmig
July 13th, 2012, 03:19
Depends on what type of setup you want to do.

P3D is optimized to use multithread: one master machine with several slave ones. The configuration is explained in the SDK. No purchase is needed to download the P3D SDK so you can see if it fits your needs.

Ahhh, I can download the SKD? Cool! Does anyone have a link? I joined the forums and looked on the site, but I didn't see anything about downloading the SKD. I was thinking of getting a developer's license just to get the SKD. In reading on the LM site, it seems that its use of multi-monitors still isn't much better than FSX. Looks like it won't be until the hold grail (v. 2.0) is released that we will get a truly new graphics engine.

Thank you Bill, for your response. It is good of you to host this info. I will continue to read up on Prepar3D before making any kind of change. I am planning on moving the T-38 simulator into a different room. When I do that, I will have to dismantle it. My plan is to then do some upgrades to the cockpit. That would be a good time to change out any hardware and add P3D.

Dangerousdave26
July 13th, 2012, 04:07
http://www.prepar3d.com/downloads/