PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with codeing? DC-2 Uiver smokesystem positioning

Flame-Prop
July 9th, 2012, 23:45
Found a great smokesystem for the deafult DC3 and it's positioned in a pretty accruate spot two.This can be found here

http://simviation.com/1/browse-Props-62-51

Next, I though Ok so I have the files all ready, they work great with the DC-3 so let's give Uiver Team's DC-2 some smokein' two. Bad news is I'm no expert on codeing......To understand more, here is what the smoke system codeing for the DC-3 looks like and it uses fx_smoke_f6 which came with the smoke effect download from simaviation.

DC-3

[SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0=-20.232, -10.906, -4.601, fx_smoke_f6
smoke.1=-20.232, 10.906, -4.601, fx_smoke_f6

Now the big question, what code will we need to add to DC-2 to ensure the smoke is in the right position? When I added thoes numbers it was too far back..... and we need to put the smoke as close as we can to the exhaust pipe.This is where who ever knows about these numbers comes in handy....:icon_lol:

Gabe

Dave Torkington
July 10th, 2012, 02:51
Hi Gabe,

It's more trial and error than coding, but here's the 'science' behind the numbers...

In your SmokeSystem line :

smoke.0=-20.232, -10.906, -4.601, fx_smoke_f6

smoke.0 = the line identifier
-20.232 = the distance in feet from the model origin point on the fore/aft axis
-10.906 = the distance in feet from the model origin point on the left/right axis
-4.601 = the distance in feet from the model origin point on the up/down axis
fx_smoke_f6 = the name of the smoke effect used

So, with some alteration of the values, you will eventually get the effect in the desired position.

Work on the smoke.0 line till you're happy with the effect placement, then just copy the parameters to smoke.1 line. Remember to change the middle value to a positive so that it's placed at the other engine position.

If I'm experimenting with effects placement, I make the change to the smoke.# parameters, save the aircraft.cfg, then re-select the aircraft [you can assign a key to this event in FSX]. Then, you will see the new position of the effect.

Hope this makes sense :salute:

Dave.

Ferry_vO
July 10th, 2012, 05:34
I feel slightly offended by this thread; the Uiver is a very well maintained aircraft and does not smoke! ;)

For coordinates you could check the aircraft.cfg for the positions on the exhaust flames, that would be a good starting point.

Flame-Prop
July 10th, 2012, 21:53
I feel slightly offended by this thread; the Uiver is a very well maintained aircraft and does not smoke! ;)

For coordinates you could check the aircraft.cfg for the positions on the exhaust flames, that would be a good starting point.

She's just shooting out more life out of them engines hehe :kilroy: I can't find the exhaust flames related thing anywhere.....where abouts should it be roughly?? Found out we will need a tottall of 4 areas smoke will need to shoot out of as there are 4 exhaust pipes...2 on each engine

kdl
July 10th, 2012, 22:51
Information for those users of the DC-2 UIVER who still have the old aircraft.cfg:

There are some typos, please check:

[effects]
enginefire=fx_dc2_engsmoke
must be==> enginefire=fx_dc-2_engsmoke

fx_dc2_contrail.fx
must be==> fx_dc-2_contrail

[lights]
x_dc2_fueldump.fx
must be==> fx_dc-2_fueldump

Firekitten
July 11th, 2012, 00:42
Sometimes it requires a little trial and error... but sometimes you can cheat... in this case, cheat away... for engine smoke coords, go to the general engine data section, and use the coordinates for the two engines as the reference locations.... hey presto.

Remember when editing the numbers, its really really simple... First is Backwards and forwards in feet, front he reference datum point (centre), then left right, then up down... simple :D

Bit like how Virtavia released their fsx native b24... with up down and left right confused.... vertical smoke... you think they'd catch that one eh?

Flame-Prop
July 11th, 2012, 02:34
Boy, sure glad you classy folks are still around :applause: It looks like it works

Flame-Prop
July 11th, 2012, 02:37
Information for those users of the DC-2 UIVER who still have the old aircraft.cfg:

There are some typos, please check:

[effects]
enginefire=fx_dc2_engsmoke
must be==> enginefire=fx_dc-2_engsmoke

fx_dc2_contrail.fx
must be==> fx_dc-2_contrail

[lights]
x_dc2_fueldump.fx
must be==> fx_dc-2_fueldump

Was not aware of any of this o.O Brought mine in 2012, still applies ??

kdl
July 11th, 2012, 03:46
==> Bought mine in 2012, still applies ??

Most likely you will have the corrected aircraft.cfg.
(But is isn't difficult to check your aircraft.cfg, regardless)

Dieter

RtrHd1
July 11th, 2012, 14:22
Here's a tip to help anyone that wants to position the smoke effect on any craft that uses the smoke effect.
I would like to claim responsibility for this but I'm NOT touching that issue!

ALL credit is for David "Opa" Marshall who used to be very active in the "way older" FS community.
I have all of his "How To" articles backed up somewhere on disc should any need arise. Now, lets get to work.

STEP #1

Go to your effects folder and pick out either a red, or green light effect. DO NOT USE A STROBE effect or landing light effect! Annotate the name of the chosen light effect and replace the smoke effect title in the effects line in your aircraft [SMOKESYSTEM] entry like the following.

orig: [SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0= -20.232, -10.906, -4.601, fx_smoke_f6

modded: [SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0= -20.232, -10.906, -4.601, fx_navred

** Note: Please only do one effect line at a time. If you did replace all entries with lights at once, you'll get confused as to which light
to pay attention to. Very annoying when there are 4 or 6 engines to deal with and I don't want to be blamed for loss of hair or sight!

By changing ALL of the smoke effect entries, with the chosen light, ONE at a time, replacing the smoke physically, we can now load a flight in the condition of "inflight" at say the traditional 30,000' ASL, where the FS contrails start, and get a visual marker as to where the "smoke" starts in distance from it's source.

Once inflight conditions are set, go to the external view while the aircraft is in "smoking condition", pause the flight. Make a note where the "light" is floating. If the light is too high or too low or even too far behind the source, the 'smoke' placement is indeed wrong. Dusk or sunrise conditions are best for seeing the light clearly and no burning eyeballs.

As far as the 3 sets of numbers in the [SMOKESYTEM], they have meaning but for now, start with the first number "Distance behind" the source. All you need to do is to place the start of the smoke where it should be, ie: distance behind the source. Don't bother with the second and third entries of the config.

So... smoke.0= -20.232, example: smoke.0= -20.500 (small change +-) or smoke.0= -21.232 (big change +-)

STEP #2

Pause your flight, do not quit the flight for reasons of sanity. Once paused, bring your aircraft config file into view and change the FIRST set of numbers either higher in count or lower in count to "increase" or "decrease the distance behind it's source.
If you do this in small increments, you will notice, if you go back to the sim and REFRESH the airborne flight, you will see the light has moved as well, matching your input with the numbers. This is a repetitive process in order to adjust the light in the "just right" position.

Once you are satisfied that the first "smoke" is appropriately placed, repeat this process until YOU are happy with all the placements of the smoke. These steps are repeated for angle as well.

Final step when all smoke trails have been re assigned, go back to the config and replace the light.fx entries with the smoke.fx entries that were originally there. Now go load that flight again and revel at your new but exhaustive, sim capabilities.

Hope this has been of help to those that wanted to know "How To".

Cheers

Flame-Prop
July 11th, 2012, 19:19
That was really good stuff RtrHd :salute: I will rate that one 5 out 5 stars

Gabe

RtrHd1
July 11th, 2012, 19:38
Thank you Flame, but as I said, it was not my brain that came up with it. I think maybe I'll check with Paul and see if he wants the whole "OPA" Marshall collection of FS How TO's. Maybe making them available here permanently would be more of a benefit to the community and pay a bit of homage to a real FS Pioneer like "OPA" (German for Grampa). I have them backed up on CD and I believe there were 13 issues in all, might be more.

napamule
July 11th, 2012, 23:45
If I may...
(1). You don't have to go up to 30,000 ft to see your smoke. Smoke is activated with 'I' key at any altitude. Contrails are what you will (automatically) 'see' at 30,000 ft. No mods required.

(2). You only need to reload the AIRCRAFT (Menu: 'Aircraft\Select Aircraft') and not the FLIGHT to see results of mods to (smokesystem) in config, even if it's a 'light' and not smoke that you see.

(3). FS2004 and FSX (smokesystem) position/location values (lon,lat,vert) are different so do not use FS2004 values for FSX (smokesystem) -won't work.
Chuck B
Napamule

Flame-Prop
July 11th, 2012, 23:47
Thank you Flame, but as I said, it was not my brain that came up with it. I think maybe I'll check with Paul and see if he wants the whole "OPA" Marshall collection of FS How TO's. Maybe making them available here permanently would be more of a benefit to the community and pay a bit of homage to a real FS Pioneer like "OPA" (German for Grampa). I have them backed up on CD and I believe there were 13 issues in all, might be more.

Pin then to the wall here I rekon....highest point you can find:applause: I'd say is a good idea. I'm pretty impressed on how these planes get put together and would be cool to learn some "fix it" yourself stuff

RtrHd1
July 12th, 2012, 06:50
Very nice Nap... by all means, take over and help these poor fellows out.

I, certainly won't attempt to again and I promise to keep all of Opa Marshall's work where it is, out of sight.

Hey everyone, ask the FS GURU... NAPAMULE, he's got baited breath, he's quick to jump in at 72 and has all the answers.
Finally, someone with credibility, just what we all needed.

Go ahead Nap, you have the whole floor now.

napamule
July 12th, 2012, 17:52
RtrHd1,
Sorry I rained on your parade. Didn't mean to. I have no ego when it comes to 'torquing' nuts & bolts. I 'understood' what you meant. But I do love terminology. So did Opa.

Opa and I were 'close'. In June 2010 he PM'ed me asking for help as his F4U Corsair engines were dying when on idle. He was surprised when I PM'ed him right back with a suggestion which fixed his problem. He was racking his brain and couldn't figure it out. It was simple to me. So I AM 'too good' (hehe). Takes experience, that's all. Been there-done that. But Opa knew a LOT more than I do about all aspects of simming (scenery, flight plans, XML, etc). Compared
to Opa I was just a greasy 'mechanic'. I miss that guy, may he rest in peace.
Chuck B
Napamule

PS:
Aircraft with problem? FS2004 Alpha Bleu Ciel French F4U-7, 'cof4ufix.zip', 7 mb, 9-30-2004.
Problem: wrong/reversed entry(s) for IDLE friction/efficiency in (piston_engine) section:

max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar= 1.0
idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar= 0.65 //s/b = 1.00
max_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.0
idle_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.0 //s/b = 0.65

The idle mech efficiency and friction scalar were 'switched'. Mech_efficiency s/b =1.0 and the friction_scalar s/b = 0.65 . That was it. Cheers.