PDA

View Full Version : This just in!

RtrHd1
July 9th, 2012, 08:10
I was so upset with this, I had to post it. Pilots are getting lasered at approach altitude as far as 15 miles out.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/pilots-blinded-laser-pointer-080000938.html

I am appuled to say the least!

cheezyflier
July 9th, 2012, 12:19
I was so upset with this, I had to post it. Pilots are getting lasered at approach altitude as far as 15 miles out.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/pilots-blinded-laser-pointer-080000938.html

I am appuled to say the least!

well, i might be appuled too, if i knew what the heck it was :icon_lol:
as it stands though, i'm not even appalled. it's not a new thing. it's been going on for a decade at least.
i guarantee it's pre-teen kids who have no idea what the consequences are/could be.

RtrHd1
July 9th, 2012, 12:42
well, i might be appuled too, if i knew what the heck it was :icon_lol:
as it stands though, i'm not even appalled. it's not a new thing. it's been going on for a decade at least.
i guarantee it's pre-teen kids who have no idea what the consequences are/could be.

I guess I suffer from "Fatfinger" syndrome on the kb. CORRECTION.... I was appalled! NONE THE LESS!

cheezyflier
July 10th, 2012, 12:12
i couldn't help myself. i try not to be a smart@55, but often fail. :icon_lol:
for the record, i do that all the time. it's why most of my posts have edit stamps on them :wavey:

ThinkingManNeil
July 10th, 2012, 17:20
One thing that pisses me off as well is that green lasers are a useful teaching tool in amateur astronomy observation sessions. They're more easily seen by the human eye under dark sky conditions than red lasers are and seem to extend out further visibly, making it easier to point out dim objects like galaxies and nebulae or particular stars, constellations, or asterisms. The dimwitted buggers who zap aircraft and pilots with them should get the book thrown at them. I'd be happy as an amateur astronomer to be required to obtain a permit for them if it meant being able to keep using them than have them prohibited.

N.

cheezyflier
July 11th, 2012, 13:41
while i agree that is stupid to shine the light in a pilot's eyes, i also think knee jerk reactions don't help things at all. for example, a couple months ago, 8 people were shot in the food court at the mall here in toronto. guns are already illegal as hell. alot of people felt that since criminals still had guns, even though they're outlawed, the solution would be to ban bullets. seriously, i swear that was seriously considered here. the logic of it still eludes me

Naismith
July 11th, 2012, 13:58
while i agree that is stupid to shine the light in a pilot's eyes, i also think knee jerk reactions don't help things at all. for example, a couple months ago, 8 people were shot in the food court at the mall here in toronto. guns are already illegal as hell. alot of people felt that since criminals still had guns, even though they're outlawed, the solution would be to ban bullets. seriously, i swear that was seriously considered here. the logic of it still eludes me
Ban malls :icon_lol:

srgalahad
July 11th, 2012, 14:00
From the Transport Canada website:

It is illegal

If convicted of pointing a laser into an aircraft cockpit, the offender could face the $100,000 maximum fine under the Aeronautics Act, imprisonment of up to five years, or both penalties.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/aerodromeairnav-standards-ais-directed-bright-light-menu-1068.htm
---------------------------------------------

Oh yeah???
Mind you, there is a vast difference between chronological and intellectual age... but check out the samples below

The following is from a site called LaserPointerSafety.com:
Sentences for persons convicted of laser offenses

This is a partial list, based on public news stories... http://laserpointersafety.com/sentences/sentences.html

-- and just how stupid do you have to be to point one at a POLICE helicopter????

Tako_Kichi
July 11th, 2012, 14:33
just how stupid do you have to be to point one at a POLICE helicopter????

I happened to be watching a so-called 'reality' TV show the other evening which involved police officers approaching suspects at night. The suspects were moving around a fishing camp in the swamps of Louisiana and the police were trying to see what they were up to as they looked very suspicious. Suddenly one of the cops remarked 'Did you see that? It looked like a laser!' You could tell that their initial reaction was to suspect that it was a 'red dot' targeting system on a weapon and both officers immediately drew their side arms.

It turned out that the suspects were 'ghost hunters' and had been using a temperature sensing device which used a laser to detect the temperature of the object it was pointed at. Had they pointed the laser at the cops things could have turned out very differently as I'm sure they would have been upset to say the least and may have been tempted to shoot first and ask questions later.

RtrHd1
July 11th, 2012, 14:43
Picture this, if you will. Actual event here in New Brunswick and I witnessed the whole event.

Young adult male, (25) sitting in his car at a red light at night. Police officer across from him in his cruiser. Young adult receives stupid thought "I wonder what he'll do if I do this?" He flashed the officer with a RED laser. The laser refracted off the officers badge, very noticeable.
What happened next was almost comical..... Officer gets on radio, calls for backup. This is at a 4 way intersection. Before the light can turn green, there are 5 cruisers approaching said intersection. The light goes green, the young adult turns left, in front of the officer, and then pulls a right turn into a convenience/gas bar. Not one siren, not one flash of blues.... 6 cop cars have the young adult surrounded, guns drawn and very pissed.
The rest is history. What and where was I to see this? Front row seat in the coffee shop parking lot. It all went down within 300 feet of where I parked. They did not shoot him but one officer wanted to, REAL BAD! The "victim".

cheezyflier
July 12th, 2012, 13:15
i stand (sit, actually) corrected. well done sir gallahad. i can't believe that collection of dumb@#$%es.
i never expected the offenders to be that age. many middle age guys! i gotta say though, this guy was my favorite.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/dangerousidiot.jpg