PDA

View Full Version : Manually tuning transplanted 2D radio stacks

delta_lima
July 8th, 2012, 16:07
In this thread, http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?68862-Fnerg-s-Firefly-Radios-not-tuning I raised the problem of non-operative COM/NAV radios in the Firefly. In updating some radios on other a/c, I realize the problem is not confined to just that one.

The challenge is simply adding a slightly more useable 2D radio stack having NAV1/NAV2, Transponder, etc. I enjoy flying on VATSIM, and enjoy flying older planes, where some of these functions are either not present, or employ the stock unattractive Bendix stack. What I've noticed, is on some planes, I can add a replacement stack with no issue, simply copying the radio stack lines from the panel.cfg of a suitable donor and adding it to the recipient-as well as copying the donor's cab or gauge folder over the panel folder of the recipient. I really like the stack from the Skysim Sea Vixen, and the Garwood Hunter F, as examples.

I've managed to successfully modify a number of aircraft - the Flying Stations Sea Fury, for example, with the Sea Vixen stack; the Hunter T with the Hunter F stack.... Problem aircraft, however, include the aforementioned Firefly, the Richardson Vampire, and the Flying Stations Wyvern - whose Bendix I'd like to replace.

On other planes, however, the radios just refuse to tune. The ADF and transponders of the new transplanted radios tune, but not the NAV/COM radios. These can be tuned using the FSX ATC interface, when changing freqs when prompted by the ATC menu - but not manually, as would be needed for more accurate VATSIM-type flying.

Any radio experts who can advise on why some a/c will happily allow a fully functioning radio stack replacement - while others won't?

thanks,

DL

robert41
July 8th, 2012, 16:56
Make sure the radio section in the aircraft cfg is set up right. Check one of your working AC radio sections and copy it.

rdaniell
July 8th, 2012, 18:00
Make sure the radio section in the aircraft cfg is set up right. Check one of your working AC radio sections and copy it.

That's what I do to get mine working correctly.

RD

Rich
July 8th, 2012, 18:15
I just copy pasted your edit for the Firefly into my Firefly and it works OK changing freq.

delta_lima
July 8th, 2012, 20:23
Thanks chaps - copied the Radios section from the Sea Vixen aircraft.cfg - all sorted now!

cheers,

DL