PDA

View Full Version : Ernest Borgnine has Passed...

Dain Arns
July 8th, 2012, 13:31
Losing a lot of TV greats this week. :frown:
"Marty" was a great movie, but he'll always be "Lt Cdr Quentin McHale" and "Dominic Santini" to me. :salute:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/celebrities/oscar-winning-film-star-ernest-borgnine-dies-in-la-at-age-95/2012/07/08/gJQAU1CgWW_story.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hPG1X0x0pWmJEys5tx8kOVt6xNUA?docId=12f0dd399 9924eaf829e03a82156c446

aircav1970
July 8th, 2012, 13:39
It seems we lose the great ones in groups,first Andy Griffith and now Ernest Borgnine...he was truly one of my favorite actors of all time...

brad kaste
July 8th, 2012, 13:52
A top flight actor bar none. My favorites where he played the railroad cop as "Shack" in the "Emperor of the North" and as "Dutch Engstrom" in the feature movie "The Wild Bunch." He'll be missed.

AndyG43
July 8th, 2012, 14:07
I'll break my self-imposed exile for this one.

I once had the great pleasure of meeting Mr Borgnine & spending an afternoon with him. He was a generous, warm, kind and funny man, and it was a privilege to spend time in his company.

He was never less than watchable in any role he played; even if it was a piece of typical Hollywood miscasting (Ragnar, in The Vikings, for example), he somehow got away with it, because of the charisma he possessed in spades.

Like Eric Sykes, who we are mourning on this side of the Atlantic, Mr Borgnine saw active service in World War 2; and like Eric Sykes he entertained us across 7 decades. We won't see the like of these men again.

RIP Mr Borgnine. And RIP Mr Sykes.:salute:

Odie
July 8th, 2012, 14:17
Bill O'Reilly interviewed him last year and it was one of the most entertaining and informative 12-15 minutes I watched all year! He was
alert and sharp as a tack for his age and related some good memories he had of his past work and the people he worked with. I hope I'm
that alert and sharp when I reach his age!

Despite his many roles, he'll always be McHale of "McHale's Navy" to me. He'll be missed.

Daveroo
July 8th, 2012, 15:19
He owned a house on the property shown in this pic,its in auburn ca,and its unknown as to if he ever stayed in the house that was there.it was a large house,was brick,and had a elevator inside,,one of the first in town,but not the first,we have many gold rush era families and fruit and olive growers with money,several houses in the 20s in town were built with elevators.anyway,house had stables,a fruit orchard one one side and off to the south towards the canyon,olives...most of the oilives were grone on the steep slopes of the canyon.

HorusJ
July 8th, 2012, 15:27
The best! The best! He will be missed:frown:,but he left a TON of great memories.Dominic Santini(Airwolf),Cabbie(Escape from New York),ect-ect.I can NEVER thank you enough!

cheezyflier
July 8th, 2012, 15:33
Cabbie(Escape from New York)

an excellent example of how he took a supporting role to the next level

Dangerousdave26
July 8th, 2012, 15:52
RIP

http://www.hulu.com/mchales-navy

pilottj
July 8th, 2012, 16:34
Rest in peace Dom:salute:

glh
July 8th, 2012, 17:02
Rest In Peace, Mr. Borgnine. You did have an extraordinary talent. To me, his best role will always be "Marty" because it masterfully explores the sense of insecurity and the need for companionship that exists in the human psyche. It was a great role for him and he played it well.

Jagdflieger
July 8th, 2012, 17:26
God's speed Ernest Borgnine!

I hope you find PT 79 and her crew on the other side.

beana51
July 8th, 2012, 18:13
Like many of his generation ,he served in WW2.In the USN for 10 years.decorated and with honor!..a son of Italian Immigrants!.Ermes Effron Borgnino,has left his mark in our culture.A gentle , man he played some real tough guys.He was a hard worker..After "MARTY" he went on to a long film history.I remembered when he married Hoda Kemins,Katy Jurado,Ethel merman, and Tova Traesnaes...Ole Marty got around pretty good!..he left a rich legacy in film,and for many years to come..He of course will live on in them.
Meanwhile Rest Well Ernie.job well done!..and eternal thanx for the memories!!

aeromed202
July 8th, 2012, 19:32
Guess it's all been said. Thanks for the laughs Skip!!

Lionheart
July 8th, 2012, 20:12
I had been thinking of him the past few days. May his soul rest in peace. I loved him as Santini the most.

Peaceful journey....

Hern07
July 8th, 2012, 20:22
I sorta like him as Ragnar, but I will always best remember him as Fatso in from Here to Eternity. Go in Peace. :salute:

demorier
July 9th, 2012, 00:16
I saw him get burned in so many movies...this time it's for real. rip.

CP1207
July 9th, 2012, 16:04
Always hated the way they took them out in Airwolf. Never watched the reboot or repeats of the original after that.
Appeared to be a class guy. RIP.

Panther_99FS
July 10th, 2012, 16:03
A true American Patriot & icon.....:medals:

Odie
July 12th, 2012, 10:25
Another movie where he played a "bad" guy, was Bad Day at Black Rock. Good film with Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Anne Francis, Lee Marvin along side Ernie. Great performances all around.

Blackbird686
July 13th, 2012, 09:15
Rest in Peace, Ernie. You always made me laugh in your role as Lt. Cmr. McHale. You will not be forgotten. :salute:

BB686:USA-flag: