PDA

View Full Version : Looking for candid framerate counsel on new 109K and Lancair

dswo
July 7th, 2012, 11:44
I have been inactive for about eighteen months. (Like Panther, I developed another hobby -- in my case, synthesizers.) Now I'm sticking my toe back in the water, and I see there's a lot of new stuff, which of course I'm curious to try. In particular, the RealAir Lancair and the Flight Replicas 109K. (I've been looking forward to that one for a LONG time.) Question is, will my aging rig swing it?

Here's what I've got:
Windows 7 (64-bit)
4 Gb RAM
Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
Nvidia 8800GT with 512 Mb

...And I don't remember what my FSX settings are, it's been so long since I've thought about them. A fair amount of payware scenery, plus ActiveSky Evolution and TrackIR. I can run the older RealAir birds with no sweat, up to and including the Spitfire. I love my Sf.260 -- have seen a lot of the world in that one -- but the Lancair sounds even better for touring. What do you think, will it be a strain? I realize that it's hard to predict these things, especially with (what is now) older hardware. Just give me your best guess.

Same question for Mike's new 109. (I have Mathias's 190s and they run great.)

Roger
July 7th, 2012, 11:51
David, I have a similar system to you (but 32 bit Vista and a GF 460) and Mike's 109k is smooth even in the less populated areas of ORBX).

pilottj
July 7th, 2012, 13:56
I don't have the 109 yet...I'll get it eventually, it does look very nice. :)

The Legacy is RealAir's successor to the SF-260 and RealAir chose very well to fill the 260's shoes. It is reasonably fast with both full IFR x-country/sight seeing/aerobatic capable. It is better on frame rates than the Duke/T Duke because it is a simpler aircraft by design, but it has a lot of immersive goodies such as vibrations and their related sounds. It was the first addon that I have turned off Accu-Feel because it has its own 'feel' While it isn't exactly a bush plane it isn't quite as much of a runway hog as the SF-260. The VC is excellent, a little more scuffed/worn than the 260 as well. I have noticed sublte rain effects on the canopy too...very good view from the cockpit for sight seeing as well.

Cheers
TJ

Dain Arns
July 7th, 2012, 14:03
I'm a helicopter fan, and the RealAir Lancair Legacy is my default aircraft.
As any others have commented, it is a must have.

It's a great flyer, in fact I have a hard time going back to some aircraft now because the FD's just feel too generic.
I work overnights, and try to keep my schedule on my days off.
I do a lot of cross country night flying in the Lancair and just love it.

BTW it's on sale until the 17th of July, at RealAir's site.

Oh, and welcome back David, some of us have missed you! :wavey:

roger-wilco-66
July 8th, 2012, 02:19
Hi David,

nice to see you around here again :-)

My rig is in the same range, same processor but 8GB RAM and a NV GTX 460 video card (1Gig). I don't have any issues running up to date aircraft.
You might want to get the same card if you run FSX in a native full HD resolution. 512mb is a bit thin for high resolutions and you might experience autogen spiking and things like that.

If you want to expand your scope you might want to have a look at the A2A P40 and A2A P-51D as well, or JFs A6M2 Zero, which is on sale right now.
Another great thing to look at is Lockheed Martins P3D or Prepar3d. Since I switched to this I didn't fire up FSX anymore. It's really exiting what's going on there.

Cheers,
Mark

Mathias
July 8th, 2012, 03:59
Welcome back, Dave! Great to see you around again!

Same question for Mike's new 109. (I have Mathias's 190s and they run great.)

You should not have any issues with Mike's wonderfull 109 if you can run the Fw190 without problems.